Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Rift

Question Rift

I just got ISBoxer and although it's been awesome to use I'm just so bored of wow for the moment.. until the next expac.. been playing for 7 years now.. so was wondering about Rift.

Is it worth playing 5? I'd like to run pets as tanks with healer leading.. like with locks in wow (if that's possible) it's either that or run just 2 for Chronicles and to make levelling a bit easier.

I run wow np x5 but with my pc spec would Rift run x5 okay?

i7-3770 3.4 GHz
    16gb ram
    AMD 7700

Thanks for reading

RIFT uses the Gamebryo engine which is very unoptimized and a resource hog. You can probably run 5 clients, but you might have to use the Low Quality Renderer on some of them which makes the game look terrible (but playable).

I'm happy to have the 4 on the lowest settings but the main I'd like to have on good.. hmmn maybe will run with just the two.

If you can 10 box WoW you can 5 box Rift. On my system the performance feels about the same 10 to 5.

I don't think pet tanks really work in Rift (dungeons), I'm afraid.

For the most flexible team, I'd suggest 5 x Clerics - you run around as 5 DPS when questing, absolutely nuking your targets, and switch to tank/healer/3 x DPS for dungeons.

They are by far the best team I've run and the cleric tanking is very easy.

As far as your PC goes, I have an i7-920 @ 4GHz, 12GB RAM, 2GB ATI-6950, running Win7-64 and it's fine.
    I run two 1920x1200 screens with a 1+4 configuration.
    I have a small number of video feeds and pass-through for 'healing from main'.
    I do need to run clients 2-4 on the low render option to get decent frame rates but it's not a big deal.

Good luck

I read that a few people have had the Elementalist rock pet tank experts.. so if I had 3 of them a Chloro (or maybe that new rogue/ranger healer soul) and then a Cleric healer.. it could work?

I'm fine with running 2 though even though I played Rift at launch there is so much old content I have missed and would really love to do.. a lot can be done solo with decent gear.. so hoping with x2 it would be easier.
    Last edited by Andreauk : 07-01-2014 at 02:34 AM

Blog Entries

Hmm. I just picked up my clerics again and I'm struggling in dungeons.

I'm running tank + 4x Inq/Warden/Cabalist (37/14/0).

The idea is that they all cast hots and kill things but the single target dps feels painfully slow (at level 43).

What kinds of specs were you running Moog?

I personally run 4 clients on the low render and I don't run at full screen, I do 5 1600x900 overlapping and then I have a nice wide black dxnothing window behind on which I project quest trackers, cast bars, dialogue "x"s and a snippet from the chat log (so that I can see the "Is following" and "Has stopped following" messages).

I run 5 on a 4.3GHz(OC) i7-36something and an NVidia 460GTX. I have to run them all on the low-rez renderer and set the alt windows to limit framerate to 10fps in the background to get any kind of reasonable proximity to 60fps on the main. This is with a stacked-fullscreen-noswap-avoidtaskbar setup with a dxNothing window on my second monitor that shows the alts.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by luxlunae View Post
    What kinds of specs were you running Moog?
    Hmm... I've not played in a while (the beauty of F2P) as I've been busy with other games and, logging on this morning, notice that all my (preset) specs are now listed as "retired", so there have obviously been some changes in the last couple of months!

I've only ever used pre-set specs, intending to customise when I hit 60 (Clerics are 52 atm).

So, I've tried to find links to these specs but it's so bloody hard to find Rift info!

For questing, I run
    • 5 x DPS "Arbiter - retired" - 15 Cabalist / 61 Inquisitor / 0 Justicar

they mainly nuke stuff with "Soul Drain"/"Bound Fate" AOE, or "Aggressive Renewal"/"Sanction Heretic" on single targets - stuff just melts, outside

For dungeons, I go with...
    • Tank - "Seraphic Guard - retired" - 9 Shaman / 61 Justicar / 6 Inquisitor
    • Healer - "Flame Keeper - Retired" - something like 30 Sentinel / 44 Purifier / 0 Warden + 2 points which are missing when I 'preview' the preset in-game; I guess something has been removed!
    • DPS - 3 x "Arbiter - retired" - 15 Cabalist / 61 Inquisitor / 0 Justicar

In dungeons, I found it incredibly easy to keep aggro with the Seraphic Guard spec.
    Charge in with "Ride the Lightning" or Taunt over with "Provoke" or Pull targets with "Rebuke"
    Then spam
    #show Strike of Retribution
    suppressmacrofailures
    mark 14
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Strike of Retribution
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Strike of Judgment
    with "Doctrine of Loyalty" and "Hammer of Faith" used to consume Conviction points and "Righteous Imperative" for AOE Taunt when necessary.

I heal from any client using the Click Box Healer addon and repeater regions to send the clicks to the healer...
    "Healing Flare" for an instant small heal
    "Healing Spray" for an instant HOT
    "Healing Breath" for an instant large heal with CD
    "Healing Invocation" for a slow, large heal
    "Ward of Flame" for an instant HOT+Shield combo
    "Symbol of the Sun" for an instant Shield
    And the DPS has a 16s spell rotation applying this sort of thing
    Sanction Heretic
    Vex
    Dark Water
    Dark Water
    Dark Water
    Curse of Discord
    Fanaticism
    Bolt of Depravity <repeated until the 16s is up, so Sanction Heretic DOT needs to be applied again>
    I spent hours at the test dummies working on that rotation but, as there have been a bunch of changes since I came up with it, I expect it to be less than optimal right now.

Hope that's of some help

Blog Entries

Thanks for taking the time to check for me! I think I'm definitely going to take a deeper look at switching to pure dps + a healer.