Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Vista vs. XP?

Default Vista vs. XP?

I am dual boxing on a single computer using AHK. Everything generally worked fine from a multi-boxing standpoint with Vista. I had a problem with Vista and WoW where the system would crash erratically with the error 132 (this happened when running two WoW instances or running a single WoW instance). I tried everything on this page (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...10021053&sid=1), but none of it would resolve.

Finally, I decided to downgrade to XP, since I have never had this problem in over 3 years of playing WoW on XP. The crashing seems to have stopped (it was erratic enough that I won't know for sure for awhile, but after 2 hours without it happening, I am hopeful that it was Vista/WoW related). But I have a different almost as frustrating problem with XP. The slave character (on follow) lags behind my main character so much that they eventually stop following... It's not a problem when I'm in a specific location doing a quest, but as soon as I need to travel any distance, I am constantly having to walk for a mini-maps worth and stop to wait for the slave toon to catch up... I am getting 60 FPS, doing full screen/minimized. Is the problem that XP starves minimized processes while Vista gives them plenty of CPU? Do I need to put the slave toon in a windowed mode?

Thanks!

Default Xp

Well i only used XP and i never had a problem i only use 2 accounts but i've never had a problem with XP

It was probably stupid of me to ponder a solution without trying it, but sure enough putting the slave into windowed mode and tuning its graphics down a bit made everything run smoothly. Still it seems like Vista might have a better multi-processing engine inside, but XP does not seem to be crashing the game, so I'll take XP.

i use xp and find that i do have a bit of a lag problem but that could be more of a ram and internet connection issue. But never had xp crash on me. I was thinking of swapping to vista and grabbing 2 more gigs of ram and a second graphics card but if your getting errors with vista then i might just forget about it and stick with vista. Does any one else have problems with vista or is this incident and isolated one?

Blog Entries

I've been running two accounts on two PC's (one my older XP system and one my newer Vista system) for quite a while.
    Prior to this, both of my systems were XP based. Up until now, the last few years has been two WoW accounts.

Prior to this, I was at five Everquent accounts on five boxes at one point; good old Windows 98 second edition.

I've recently invested in three additional accounts for a total of five. Warcraft runs smoothly except for Stormwind outside of the AH, which is choppy even with only one account going. BG's/Raids, IF and Shatt are smooth, so I don't understand this.

I'm running Vista 64-Bit with 8 GB of Ram, an overclocked Q6600 and 8800 GTX; my system handles five accounts without issue.
    64-Bit Vista can use up to 8 GB, which is a lot more then XP, although in retrospect I don't need as much ram as I went with.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa