Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Vista?

Default Vista?

What version of 64 bit vista would you guys/gals suggest for dual boxing? Is there any reason not just to get the basic home version?
    [spoiler][/spoiler]Shaone,Shatwo,Shathree,Shafour,Shafive
    <Zero Tolerance>
    Level: 70
    Server: Azgalor
    Race: Orc / Blood Elf

Microsoft has a pretty good feature comparison list to show you what comes with each edition... take a look and see what you will use and what you won't. Basic doesn't come with Aero or Media Center.. both of which I like.. but look and see what you'll use and what you won't.

There isn't any technical issue with Vista 64 Home Basic for multiboxing, the only real limitation I could think of is dual-CPU support is only available in the higher editions (they all support multi-core, though, afaik).

Thanks I will check it out. So I am in my last semester at school and they offer vista ultimate for like 10 bucks. I called the book store and they said it was a 32 bit version. Does this sound right? From the little time I browsed about vista it seems that anything past the basic home version comes with both the 32 and 64 bit version.
    <Zero Tolerance>

Actually - Vista Basic Home supports 64bit as well. All editions do except the (crippleware) Starter edition that only supports 32 bit and a whole lot of other limitations as well. Vista Ultimate (and Enterprise, I think) comes with both 32 and 64bit install DVD in the box, for Home Basic, Premium, and Business editions these only come with 32bit install DVD or CDs. You can however obtain the 64bit install disc from Microsoft on their site (for a few $ to cover shipping and cost of media, as I recall).

That price seems extremely low for any version of Vista, are you sure this correct? The Microsoft employee price is the lowest I know of (short of stealing) and it's around $25 for the cheapest up to $45 for Ultimate... I just helped a teacher friend of mine with upgrading her machine to Vista Home Premium and that cost $80 USD for the educational price retail box.

http://www.book.uiowa.edu/ePOS?this_...tml&design=335

$10.99 I am going to go check out the software tonight after work. It is some student deal. I think you are supposed to delete the software once you graduate. About a year ago I was able to pick up both the mac os and windows versions of office for under 20 bucks.
    <Zero Tolerance>