Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Default Need help with Warlock/priest setup

Hey!

I recently started dualboxing again after having a break pretty much since TBC. I have been running a Dual DK team for a while and I have lots of fun with it and now I'd like to start a more challenging team.
    I decided to go with a warlock/priest combo but I'm having a hard time to figure out how to set things up. (I use keyclone and a 1pc 1monitor setup)
    I'm not sure wich toon would be best to have as the master. on one hand I'm thinking warlock to ease the pet control and top make better use of the cc abilities. (i like stuff like shadowfury but I am not as found about mouse broadcasting with keyclone). I also feel like having the priest as master to be able to use healing addons like clique or healbot.

I would like to hear some input from anyone with experience from the comp, or any similair comp. Do's and dont's would be much apriceated.

/salomonster

I used to have Keyclone a long time ago, couldn't help you setting it up. I'm sure things have changed.

But I did try a warlock/priest combo. It worked very nicely, and probably still is one of the best 2 class combos. I used an affliction lock as the lead toon. Dot everything that moved, and the priest followed around with bubbles, renew, shadow pain if needed, etc. I could see a druid/lock combo working well too.

A paladin/warlock combo used to be nice. Paladin gathers mobs while mounted, then tanks while the lock spams seed of corruption, etc. This was back in the Burning Crusade era.

It isn't Keyclone I need help with seting up, I got that part figured out from boximing my 2 dk's. What I would love to get som input about is if there are any castsequence macros that have good synergy between classes, that can bring decent dps rotations for both classes etc. What type of macros to you use for healing etc?
    I plan on trying out affliction and shadow first, but I enjoy the playstylo of destruction in solo play so i will probbably try that out to, maybe with the priest as disc, but I'm hoping to be able to play shadow mostly.

Cast sequences generally don't have much to do with interclass synergy. Outside of some buffs/debuffs provided by other classes, there's not going to be any real variation from partner class to partner class or even solo on individual DPS. Every class and spec at this point has a pretty standard priority for their spells, you get some good DPS going out of that and you're all set.

There are certain cases where you would avoid or delay/stagger using certain things because of the other classes in your party - IE, you wouldn't want to use Bloodlust {Shaman} and Time Warp {mage} at the same time because it's the same buff. But for the most part, even if a spell or ability is doubled up, there's still a reason to use it anyway. A good example is a paladin's Hammer of the Righteous and a Shaman's Earth Shock both providing the Weakened Blows debuff. No, you can't stack the same debuff, but that doesn't mean you'd stop using HotR or ES because they are both part of the standard rotation for those classes and removing one or the other will lower the DPS of that character.

I'd suggest spending some time going through the Macros forum, there are tons of macros in there to look at for pretty much ever class. Probably the New Users stickies, too. There may be some links in there that will be useful. You can also look at whatever theory-crafting site you like and see how a classes' priorities should look - though don't get too caught up in min-maxing, that's not something that's feasible with most multiboxing and generally irrelevant for a duo since you won't be fighting much of anything that lives long enough to even finish one "standard rotation." Unless you're talking PvP, in which case, look at the PvP forum.

As for healing, you'll also find macros for that in the macro forum. Since you're using Keyclone, you have rather limited options. You will either need to

1- Run the healer as main
    2- Use "hardcoded" macros - example Numberpad1 is /cast [@party1] Little Heal, Numpad2 is /cast [@party1] Big Heal, Numpad3 is /cast [@party1] Emergency Heal. Then the same on Numpad 4-6 using /cast [@player] Assorted Heals
    3- Use targettarget chains

http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/3...acros-question
    http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...eedback-wanted

4- Use manual target selection - Press a key assigned to target Party1, then another button to trigger a heal macro /cast Heal.

Beyond that, you're pretty much asking someone to break down their entire experience with a class with no specific questions, and then tell you how to set all of that up. That's a lot to ask, especially when you haven't mentioned what this group is for. PvE plays different than PvP. PvE questing plays different than PvE dungeons, which play different than Raids. BGs plays different than Arena, which plays different than world PvP. Even the information I've put in this post can change based on what you're trying to do.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Blog Entries

Drive from the priest.

I love priest/warlock because that combo can take out anything once you get improved voidwalker if you're careful about threat. (If you decide to try to solo dungeons make sure you lead from the priest and have fade on your main cooldown bar). I play my lock as destro and my priest as disc.

You might want to consider a "pull" key that has the following

Warlock:
    /petattack

Priest:

/focus voidwalkersname
    /cast [@focus] Power Word: Shield

That way (when you are going up agaist rough foes, like timeless isle elites), you're not actively healing or dpsing off the bat, give the voidwalker a few seconds to pick up aggro.

Unless you are pvping or taking on end raid content you probably won't be using warlock CC for anything. Maybe the felguards in Blood Furnace at level 62.

make sure to have a pet follow macro.. those voidys like to run off and pull more sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Andreauk View Post
    make sure to have a pet follow macro.. those voidys like to run off and pull more sometimes
    there can never be enough enemies for my warlock team
    Last edited by Asterix : 05-20-2014 at 05:24 AM

Blog Entries

I'd probably lead with whoever uses mouse based targeting the most.
    As in, a Priest can use Mass Dispel but that has to be aimed via the mouse.
    Or a Warlock can do the Rain type spell, that also creates a targeting circle and moves where the mouse moves.

Keyclone doesn't really have that strong of a mouse broadcasting feature, so not being able to use that type of an ability is your largest loss with KC.

Either character can lead.
    The other will follow.
    You could create two leadership macros quite easily.
    Both of them focus ToonA on keybind 1 and both focus ToonB on keybind 2.
    Follow then is /follow [target=focus].
    Both characters then nuke or castsequence at /cast [target=focustarget].
    Set your character switch hotkey (to region1/character1 in Keyclone) to the same hotkey in Wow that makes Toon1 both character's focus.

You can go with castsequence, if there is a sequence your character always does.
    For example mash '1' and have the warlock do DotA, DotB, DotC, etc.
    And the Priest does DotA, DotB or whatever.

Alternatively, match abilities by function of cast time.
    Mind Blast and Shadowbolt have similar cast times.
    But Mind Blast has a reuse timer, while shadowbolt doesn't.
    So maybe the priest has castsequence Mindblast, Another spell, Another spell... while the Warlock has a straight Shadowbolt on that key.
    Both are primary nukes, with a casting time... so the toons are both stationary whenever you want to use that key.

You could round-robin things like Fear.
    The priest has Psychic Scream (?... haven't played Wow in a while) while the Warlock has Howl of Terror.
    You wouldn't want to use both at once, but one after the other would be a bonus to have.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa