Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Default Can you create more function keys in windows?

Hello,

I'd like to be able to create more function keys in windows, even if my keyboard doesn't have them.

For example, if windows had function keys up to 100 (Eg. F98, F99) then I could create links in WoW and have XKey simply press F98, instead of CTRL+SHIFT+F11 (which has problems relaying through keyclone).

Any idea how to do this?

Thanks!

Windows recognizes from F1 to F24. If your keyboard goes as high as F12, you can define hotkeys that generate F13 to F24 and Windows will pass them along to WoW. You can't generate anything higher than F24 because Windows doesn't have an internal code that represents such keys. I imagine you can use any hotkey program for this purpose. My own program, HotkeyNet, can do it.

However -- this is a big however -- I don't know if WoW will respond to the additional function keys. It may be programmed to respond only to keys that are commonly found on keyboards.

By the way, there are more keys you can use like this. Keys that exist in Windows but aren't found on the typical keyboard. Here's a list of all all the keys recognized by Windows:

http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/keynames.html

(There are no standard names for keys. Each program makes up its own names. But they represent numbers called virtual key (VK) codes which are standard. Here's a list of the VK codes: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645540.aspx.)
    �Author of HotkeyNet and Mojo

Hey there,

So how abouts would I create those keys up to F24? And if windows supports a bunch of generic ones, any idea how I could use tohse to create F25 on up?

Cheers!

And if windows supports a bunch of generic ones, any idea how I could use tohse to create F25 on up?
    Alas, windows doesn't support generic keys. It only supports the specific keys on the lists I linked. (To be really exact -- and I"m getting pretty technical here -- there are some unassigned key codes that you could pass to programs in certain circumstances, but most programs wouldn't respond since these key codes would just be numbers that don't represent keys.)

So how abouts would I create those keys up to F24?
    Here's an example of how you could do this with HotkeyNet. The following hotkey sends F24 to a World of Warcraft window when you press Ctrl F3. (Why Ctrl F3? Well you have to press something to make this happen -- I chose Ctrl F3 at random.)

<Hotkey Ctrl F3>
    <sendpc local>
    <sendwin "World of Warcraft">
    <key F24>
    �Author of HotkeyNet and Mojo

Default RE: Can you create more function keys in windows?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Evilseed',index.php?page=Thread&postID=45705#post 45705
    Hello,

I'd like to be able to create more function keys in windows, even if my keyboard doesn't have them.

For example, if windows had function keys up to 100 (Eg. F98, F99) then I could create links in WoW and have XKey simply press F98, instead of CTRL+SHIFT+F11 (which has problems relaying through keyclone).

Any idea how to do this?

Thanks!
    I've been having this same problem, its like keyclone gets a shift key stuck so when i press F6 on my keyboard to lay down some totems it instead gives me a shift+F6 and burns my fire elemental cooldown . . . outch.

i tried to manually edit my xkeys macro file and add the scan codes to the buttons for F13 through F24 but wow will not recognize them. If you guys can figure a better way to use xkeys and keyclone together without issues im all ears. Really feel like i need to change my setup lately cause its a mess when it happens in pvp and u look like some kinda idiot bot running around with your head cut off cause ur keys aint workin right.
    http://www.knightsofshadow.org
    Seastone - PvP - Defiant
    Nitro

Windows will work with F13-F24 however wow denies they exist. However utilizing KeyClone you can use them!

Setup a keymap for F13-F24 in keyclone to be translated into F1-F12 on your minions... this way you free up those 12 keys for your main... at least thats how I did it.
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Quote Originally Posted by 'zanthor',index.php?page=Thread&postID=45882#post4 5882
    Windows will work with F13-F24 however wow denies they exist. However utilizing KeyClone you can use them!

Setup a keymap for F13-F24 in keyclone to be translated into F1-F12 on your minions... this way you free up those 12 keys for your main... at least thats how I did it.
    Could you elaborate? Not quite sure i understand how your making this work.
    http://www.knightsofshadow.org
    Seastone - PvP - Defiant
    Nitro

Could you be more specific about your requirement ie say what you want to happen in WoW and we can try and find a solution
    HotKeyNet and Kavoom user and loving it. :P