Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 15

Default Some Concerns with Five Shadow Priests

At first, I thought 5 Shamans were the obvious choice. After reading through the thread I started about Shamans in Arenas, I think Horde Shadow Priests may be a more viable route. However, before I spend $1500, shoot me down if you see any fallacious ideas.

Here's my general strategy in Arenas:

Two Troll and three Undead Shadow Priests. All will Fear Ward and Shield themselves before battle of course. Spell Trinket before you engage.

Start of Battle) Single Psychic Scream.
    First Attack ) 2x Hex of Weakness and 3x SW : Pain at same time. Alternately, Silence their healer if it is range.
    Second Attack) 3x SW: Pain and 2x VE at same time.
    Third Attack) Full nukage, 5x Mind Blast followed instantly by 5x SW: Death.

The idea is simple: Preoccupy their Paladin and Priest with trying to dispel your main target of fear, DoTs, and debuffs (or Silence if possible), and then nuke the bejebus out of it. The first target should be quick to die, as Scream, Fear Ward and Shields will buy you at least 5-6 seconds of free reign before they can shatter your ranks.

After the first target, you will proceed to DoT their whole team while running constantly in and out of range and chain Silencing their healers, obviously recasting Shield again as soon as it falls (since you cast it before engagement).

As for the 3 UDs, that's fairly obvious. After Fear Ward is consumed, they will be your next line of defense against AoE Fear with WotF, dispelling the two Trolls.

Thoughts? Experiences? Criticism? I would appreciate all of those.

I have 5 70 undead shadow priests who I have arena'd with, and while I'm definitely no expert at arena I'll give you my 5 cents.

1. Priest damage mitigation (even with the 15% of shadowform) is horrid. You get eaten very fast by focus firing 5mans.
    2. Spriest mana consumption is HUGE. I went with a mana efficiency talent build and lost multiple games because I just plain ran out of juice.
    3. Fear is nearly useless until halfway through the match when you are already losing people. Too many ways of getting out of it from what I've found.

As for your strategy, my thoughts to your points:
    1. Your first fear is almost always eaten by a fear ward or trinket and you generally can catch no more than 3 (at the most) people in it's radius
    2. Silence has a horrid short range and teams aren't overly worried about my dots in my experience as long as they know their healers are up. And dots are hella mana expensive.
    3. Pain+VE isnt doing enough healing to survive any kind of pvp burst damage. it's wonderful in PvE, but PvP versus 5 VE isn't what it normally is.
    4. Full nukage is great. My normal strat is a charge and burn on the healer with 5 blasts and 5 deaths and mind flay (if necessary). That being said, it puts you sitting still and within range of their dps, and that's a bad thing with spriest survivability, and survivability is key in arena IMO.
    5. That 5-6 seconds you think you're gonna get is gonna be more like 1-2.
    6. Staying out of range of groups is almost not an option once you engage....kiting and dotting versus charging warriors, frost mages, sprinting rogues, charging druids, ranged casters, hunters....it's quite tough. My best job at it has honestly been blowing through them at the start, insta-gibbing a healer, and keep running. Multiple healers is gonna put the hurt on you though.

TBH spriests rock in BG's....they rock in PVE....arena? not so much.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

Just some quick thoughts...

Well you're not going to be doing instances with that group so it has to be PvP only right? If thats the case how can you not go 5 x undead? WoTF is self only, so you won't be using it to dispel your trolls. Plus devouring plague >>>>>>>>> Hex of crapness.

The problem with going 5 x shadow priests will be warriors & rogues. Warriors with their spell reflect and fear immunity will allow them to get close and mess you up. Same with Rogues and their Cloak of Skillz.

Cheers,

Stealthy
    The Zerg (Magtheridon - US)

Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F.

Shadowpriests are disgusting mana efficiency.

Do NOT kid yourself. VT is *shit* for PvP. Your biggest issues are:

MANA MANA MANA.

Range

No AoE

Squishy as hell

And you dont even have a spammable nuke. Mind Flay is 24 yards range. That is disgusting.

After playing them for a few months and playing massive amounts of hours on them, I see no viablew way to make priests work in PvP unless you have one and its your healer.

I am re-rolling a few different teams at the moment and working out what I want to do. I honestly think I'm just going to go with priest/mages for the pure fun factor, not the ownage factor.

-Slats

Quote Originally Posted by 'Slats',index.php?page=Thread&postID=31922#post319 22
    Shadowpriests are disgusting mana efficiency.

Do NOT kid yourself. VT is *shit* for PvP. Your biggest issues are:

MANA MANA MANA.

Range

No AoE

Squishy as hell

And you dont even have a spammable nuke. Mind Flay is 24 yards range. That is disgusting.

After playing them for a few months and playing massive amounts of hours on them, I see no viablew way to make priests work in PvP unless you have one and its your healer.

I am re-rolling a few different teams at the moment and working out what I want to do. I honestly think I'm just going to go with priest/mages for the pure fun factor, not the ownage factor.

-Slats
    Have you considered going the 41/20/0 spec? Reflective shield damage + Holy Nova would be fun as hell (although again, mana inefficient).
    As a non-shadow priest group, you could have 5 sets of PoMending up as well to help futher mitigate damage

Would be the survival spec'd 5-man team
    The idea is to remain in a constant state of departure while always arriving. It saves on introductions and goodbyes.

Yeah I played with that, PoM is awesome, one cast is like 20k healing to your whole party, its impossible to get aoed down.

You have no mana gem, no evoc, no mana tide totem, no 60% reduction to cost on crit, no decent mp/5... basically once your OOM your OOM and recovery time is massive. Awesome for PvE, not so hot for PvP. Single target massive daamge is nice, but you need something you dont have in PvP - time.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Stealthy',index.php?page=Thread&postID=31915#post 31915

Well you're not going to be doing instances with that group so it has to be PvP only right? If thats the case how can you not go 5 x undead? WoTF is self only, so you won't be using it to dispel your trolls. Plus devouring plague >>>>>>>>> Hex of crapness.

The problem with going 5 x shadow priests will be warriors & rogues. Warriors with their spell reflect and fear immunity will allow them to get close and mess you up. Same with Rogues and their Cloak of Skillz.

Cheers,

Stealthy
    Well, I'll probably go 1 Troll and 4 UD. Hex is like a mini-MS debuff and it's worth having at least one. The UD Priests could dispel Psychic Scream, Howl of Terror, or Fear on the Troll.

I figured mana burn would be unstoppable. In 4 seconds, their healer would be completely useless. Then with DoTs ticking on everyone (I'd Mass Dispel Ice Block or Bubble), and the healer OOM, and 5 staggered AoE fears (they could only stop the first 2 or 3), it would be game over pretty quick.

Maybe I'm missing something. The only class I envision as a threat is the Rogue, and only for 5 seconds. Yet a Rogue can only do so much while the rest of his team is shutdown and OOM.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Quasi',index.php?page=Thread&postID=31984#post319 84
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Stealthy',index.php?page=Thread&postID=31915#post 31915

Cheers,

Stealthy
    Well, I'll probably go 1 Troll and 4 UD. Hex is like a mini-MS debuff and it's worth having at least one. The UD Priests could dispel Psychic Scream, Howl of Terror, or Fear on the Troll.

I figured mana burn would be unstoppable. In 4 seconds, their healer would be completely useless. Then with DoTs ticking on everyone (I'd Mass Dispel Ice Block or Bubble), and the healer OOM, and 5 staggered AoE fears (they could only stop the first 2 or 3), it would be game over pretty quick.

Maybe I'm missing something. The only class I envision as a threat is the Rogue, and only for 5 seconds. Yet a Rogue can only do so much while the rest of his team is shutdown and OOM.
    My 70 Rogue does wonders to interrupt 2.

/focus Target2
    Sap Target2
    Stunlock Target1: Cheapshot (6 seconds) + hemo -> (target=focus Blind) + hemo -> Kidney Shot (3 of 5 seconds)
    Kick / Gouge
    WoTF / Trinket / Sprint / Cloak of Shadow
    Vanish
    Find targets

Let's say that's within 20-30 seconds of the start of the battle engagement. 2 of your SPriest are probably somewhere out or range of your main.

Repeat Stun lock.
    Use Prep to reset Blind and Vanish.
    Sanctume [Paladin] + [Team Shaman] Sanctumea + Sanctumei + Sanctumeo

Quote Originally Posted by 'Quasi',index.php?page=Thread&postID=31984#post319 84

Maybe I'm missing something. The only class I envision as a threat is the Rogue, and only for 5 seconds. Yet a Rogue can only do so much while the rest of his team is shutdown and
    In four seconds, their healer might be useless, but you're probably down 1 (maybe 2) of your ultra-squishy team. There's nothing "pretty quick" about relying on your 5 DoTs ticking to kill their group.

I am not trying to bash your ideas, but it's just that they're theorycrafting based on the other team not doing a whole lot. Add a little realitycraft to your optimism and the situation might not look so rosy.
    Cranky old-timer.

In four seconds, their healer might be useless, but you're probably down 1 (maybe 2) of your ultra-squishy team. There's nothing "pretty quick" about relying on your 5 DoTs ticking to kill their group.
    I doubt they could kill any of the SPriests before I killed their first player. I would run straight into their group and cast Psychic Scream repeatedly until it sticks on at least some of them and Mana Burn the healer. They'd be scattered and without a healer. If a fear-immune Warrior jumps in while I'm doing this, 5x Inner Focus/Mind Blast + 5x SW: Death and finish off anything left with Mind Flay.

Sure, not a flawless strategy, but it would be an extremely solid point to work from and tweak.