Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default A two boxer getting set for more.

Hello all,

My first time posting but have been reading and trying to learn all I can from the folks here. I am mostly a two boxer. I run a alienware dual core system from 05 with an ATI card and about 4 gigs of corsair DDR SD. I find that most time with settings reduced I can play two accounts without much problem. This leads to my next question: With a newer gen alienware and with 5-6 gigs of DDR could I reasonably run 3-4 instances on the same machiene interms of processor speed and graphics memory without significant lag? Further even if I could run 4 instances on one machiene, would having only one monitor make this impracticle?

I currently have a 70 holy pally and 70th mage (separate accounts) and have seriously considered running up 2-3 more shammies and keeping the mage in the mix as well for AOE scunnion, water food AB and so on.) I think I am ready to make the evolution up to 3-5 Boxing and think PAL and 4 shammies is problably the right answer. I use to 4 Box in EQ with a NEC, BST CLR and SK on one machiene but it became agonising to say the least.

This entire idea has really come about because I am damn tired of waiting for groups, evenin my own guild (which is great but I am in asia so time differences are killing me).

I pretty much understand how to do the techincal set up for 3-4 machiense etc, but I would prefer a once machiene and software solution if possible.

v/r

Gro

Zuljin

Errmm..I have 2 laptops that are waaaayyyy crapier than your current system..and I run 5 accounts.
    One single core laptop runs 2 instances, and My generic Dell dual-core runs 3 instances. Both laptops only have 2 gigs of ram...and generic video cards.
    Granted, I have all my display/video settings turned way down too.

You should be able to get way more out of your Alienware.

Are you using maximizer to set up your screens? Are you setting core affinity?
    Everquest II - <Pain for Glory> on Nektulos Server
    (Shadowknight: Uhmono| Inquisitor: Blyssia | Warden: Wysh | Defiler: Gahealju | Troubador: Moxia | Warlock: Phyrloc) X 51
    (Guardian: Tukilu | Templar: Ajechu | Warden: Fayanna | Conjuror: Akaesia | Troubador: Lollah | Warlock: Onona) X 27-ish[/align]

I'm using a dual core 1.8ghtz, 2gb ram machine (Dell E520) to run 3x wow instances at roughly 40fps no problems... I also tend to have 2 copies of msn, firefox, and ventrillo open at the same time.

Your machine should easily be able to handle more than 2 copies.
    Aedeline, Bedeline, Cedeline, Dedeline, Eedeline (Shaman's) - Alliance Thunderhorn - EU
    Millz, Miillz, Miilz, Miliz, Miilzy (4 Mage's + 1 Paladin) - Horde Stormscale - EU

1.5ghz C2D, 4gig Ram, Laptop - 5box, Vent, mIRC, FireFox, MSN -runnin 30fps on main. I personally recomend Keyclone. Its got great features and for a 1 time fee of $20 you get GREAT support and you don't risk having to use out-side macros and timed delays which are against the TOS and EULA. If your looking for a free software solution check out Octopus.
    Gurb Fan Club:
    #1 Fan - Zenthor

Really should be in the hardware forum... but...

A 4GB RAM, Dual-Core setup can easily quadbox if you reduce settings low enough and your graphics card is relatively recent. I don't know which model of ATI card you have, but you could easily buy a $150ish nVidia card right now that would allow quadboxing with no other upgrades.

You might chug a little in shattrath at busy times, but the rest of the game (including arena and AV) will be workable with a dual-core, 4GB, recent video card setup.
    Cranky old-timer.

No offense but dont buy Alienware. They are great pc's sure but you can build the same systems outside of their nifty cases for about 1/4 of the price.
    US PvE : Dawnbringer <Gnomercy>

5 Boxing; Paladin - Marhaus, Shaman x 4 - Lorras, Serikana, Terianna, Ermok

Plaguedone - Death Knight LVL80