Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 13

Default 5box on 1machine - hardware used?

Sorry, I realize this must be a common question, but I just cant seem to find the answer via search, so here goes:

I noticed quite a few of you multibox 5 toons on 1 pc - and I was looking for input on what hardware is needed to pull that off - I realize that 5 lower end pc's might be a better solution - but I cant go for that for space reasons :P

thanks, and if it is indeed a repost i apologize again and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I was actually looking for the answer to this today as well. I hang around these forums alot, and theres no "minimum requirements" for 5boxing on 1 machine, but a lot of people recommend a dual-core processor, 3-4gb RAM, and a fairly new graphics card.

I'm curious too... because I run with a Athlon XP 4000, 2gb RAM, and a GeForce 7800 with 512mb... but when I run 2 instances of WoW my CPU is at 80% and when I run 3 instances, I top out at 100%

The weird thing is (though I have only tested this for about 3 minutes of running around stormwind) that when I'm running 3 on my machine... even though I'm at 100% CPU usage, it's seemingly running smoothly. Odd.

My current specs for my PC, enable me to run 5 instances of WoW, at 100% CPU usage.

The FPS is smooth, and its quite playable. I have not tested a major city yet however.

EVGA 8800 GTX, 4GB RAM, 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo.

Check this post out. You might find some information.
    http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=1595

I use 2 monitors, as it is a huge help when 5 boxing. Its on Horizontal Span.

I have a E6300 duo core processor (2.1gzh oc'ed) with 4gigs of ram and nvidia 7950GT card. I am able to run 5 wows on 1 pc just fine but i have to set the vid settings on low for everything. I keep 1 window at 1650 wide screen res, the rest 4 are at 1024x768. I keep the other 4 windows minimized for the most part since this vid card cant take rendering 5 wow screens simultaneously. Only using 1 22" wide screen monitor right now but i'm thinking of getting another monitor or another 7950GT and setting it up in duel SLI mode.. Not sure if that will be worth it or not though..

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaplex
    I have a E6300 duo core processor (2.1gzh oc'ed) with 4gigs of ram and nvidia 7950GT card. I am able to run 5 wows on 1 pc just fine but i have to set the vid settings on low for everything. I keep 1 window at 1650 wide screen res, the rest 4 are at 1024x768. I keep the other 4 windows minimized for the most part since this vid card cant take rendering 5 wow screens simultaneously. Only using 1 22" wide screen monitor right now but i'm thinking of getting another monitor or another 7950GT and setting it up in duel SLI mode.. Not sure if that will be worth it or not though..
    when you say that it runs fine, does that mean you can pvp with it? i realize it wont be super smooth but with 5x firepower it might still be doable?

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS. But I have tested a lot of hardware and consider this to be a ballpark estimation. Don't buy a system without further input but this is a good guide for basic 5 boxing on a single system. For advanced PvP, you would probably want a beefer system. Load times are going to be a pain in the ass no matter what you do, short of going pure RAM based hard drive (which IS possible) or perhaps a solid state drive based system.

If you play with 640 x 480 or 800 x 600, minimum settings and use Keyclone, I would imagine a reasonable mid level dual core with 3 gigs of memory and a 7600 or better nvidia graphics card in horizontal span would be playable in most settings with 5 total WoWs running.

To be on the safe side, go with an 8600 or better (the price difference isn't much and WoW is GPU not CPU intensive). I would imagine such a system would be able to handle 5 WoWs for under $1000 for the entire system. Maybe even under $800.

But get more input - I boxed with single core systems 3 years ago when there were no dual core systems out there. I can play 5+ on my quad core system no problem..... but there are other factors out there too - so YMMV.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

Wow, this thread got me looking at video cards for the first time since I bought parts for my main rig (almost 2 years ago)... and holy crap have prices come down. I bought my 7800GT 256mb for $300 then... I just saw a 8800 512mb for $68 on newegg. Cripes!

I just got my system up and running. I had some problems with my dual-vid card setup under XP so I switched it to a single card using horizontal span and it seems to be working well.

My setup is:
    Quad-core Q6660
    4GB ram
    8600 GT (I also bought a second card, I didn't end up using, and I'll return)

I bought the full system in the 950$ range, including shipping, not including monitors, which I already had.

I got it running yesterday, using the single vid-card, using horiz-span, with my main on a single monitor, and the others quad-screened on a second monitor. By tweaking the graphics settings, I was able to get them all running in the 40-60 fps range.

My experience matches yours, very specifically, tweaking video settings has a large impact on fps. My CPU usage hovers near 50-60%. It's very obvious that my framerate is determined by the vid-settings and is GPU bound and it seems to me you could get away with a near-top-of-the-line dual-core setup. If you really want high framerate, you need a good vid card. I'm getting 40-50fps with a 120$ card. My graphic settings are pretty much default on main (and roughly full-screen reso.. i think it was 1024x), and minimum on others (800x600, everything off/mininum except terrain distance which I have set in the middle).

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo
    I just saw a 8800 512mb for $68 on newegg. Cripes!
    Erm. Really? Sure it wasn't an 8500?

8500 is *considerably* crappier than a 8600. Or even a 7600 for that matter.

I refer you all to the VGA charts.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=716&chart=287

8500 is WORSE than a 7600 GT. The blue bars indicate the two selected.

Select your own and do comparisons.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US