Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Question Aoe Mage & Lock builds

    Cheers to you all,

    With my WPMML team globally approaching 30, and looking at all these vids of AOE farming dungeons with the lock’s lvl30 aoe spell + arcane explosion, I was wondering what builds (mage / lock) those of you running such comps use to maximize output. ideally with the talents to take first since it’s still a long way to 60 where I can get all talent points.

    A precision : I’d still like to be able to kill bosses ideally as it’s usually a good source of equipment for the team, so that’d be fine to drop a bit of aoe efficiency to remain fairly versatile. but maybe I am asking too much and being a jack of all trades means what it usually means.

    I have quickly scanned through the first forum pages but couldn’t really find them summarized in a post, although, if one exists, feel free to point me to it.

    many thanks for your inputs
    Nyth

  2. #2
    Rated Arena Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1563

    Default

    I have 4 mages and 1 priest, but my mages just respecced into deep arcane at 40. If you are primarily using Arcane Explosion for AoE DPS it's a way better spec IMO. Theres lots of talents that give you back mana, or give you more mana. Plus the top talent Arcane Power is a big DPS cooldown that is useful for bosses. I've been farming SM Cathedral, and the boss fight is down to me just spamming Arcane Missiles, and making sure the priest doesn't die to Mograine.
    5 Boxing Fairbanks - Horde

  3. #3

    Default

    The mages do not need to spec specifically at all to aoe. For a team with a tank like WPMML you need at most Arcane subtlety 2/2 for the mages. From there, you can just about pick any spec you enjoy for leveling and boss killing until around 50+.

    The Warlock will be pulling aggro constantly unless you give your tank time to accrue enough threat before starting to aoe. Though, that's not preferable because sitting around doing nothing is not efficient. Hellfire has no threat reduction unless you spec full demo, and it is the highest dps aoe in the game. Going deep destruction imo, syncs best with this comp, you can pick up talents like Intensity and Pyroclasm, while high damage shadowbolts sync nicely with the mages bolts and balls. Just be sure to precast bubble-renew on your lock for every aoe pull, and again during the pull, and keep an eye on their health because you'll be splitting tank duties with the warrior. You can also use void sac when it's off cooldown.

    A pally healer would make life so much easier, but most people enjoy the aoe heals with the priest, and some go horde.

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks to you both.

    playing with the talent calculator for the lock and following Purpleflavor’s advice, I end up with something like this : https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IZfgVzM0oZEx0xbMzx

    seems fairly optimized towards hellfire while keeping a good dps with shadow bolt. Just wondering though if Aftermath (eg dazing mobs) really helps during aoe phases.

    as for mages, I understand from daviddoran that arcane may become viable at 40, in the meanwhile frost is probably still better. Do you think tweaking my current build (which is mostly frost but includes arcane subtlety) to add improved arcane explosion is worth and would make any significant difference ?

    thanks

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyth View Post
    Thanks to you both.

    playing with the talent calculator for the lock and following Purpleflavor’s advice, I end up with something like this : https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IZfgVzM0oZEx0xbMzx

    seems fairly optimized towards hellfire while keeping a good dps with shadow bolt. Just wondering though if Aftermath (eg dazing mobs) really helps during aoe phases.

    as for mages, I understand from daviddoran that arcane may become viable at 40, in the meanwhile frost is probably still better. Do you think tweaking my current build (which is mostly frost but includes arcane subtlety) to add improved arcane explosion is worth and would make any significant difference ?

    thanks
    Aftermath will help with runners if you have no other solution, or prefer it. You have a lot of options to cover that though. That warlock spec is close to a very common raiding spec for pumping out max damage shadowbolts. Another is MD/ruin for the threat reduction, but i dont see how you could get more than 3 points into MD if you spec pyroclasm, depending on how you feel, maybe going something like https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IZfgVzMx0xZex0xb0z would help with threat. High chance to stun or 20% reduced threat, I'd pick reduced threat for times when you arent aoeing.

    As a mage group, 3 or 4, this is what i've found to be optimal.
    Arcane is great, cant go wrong leveling arcane, but it really doesnt help with mana until you start gearing up. Those percentages of 10 and 15 only matter when you start stacking on stats in the hundreds. The PoM is amazing, but not enough so to be a priority or outscale some of the other specs. In the 50's and also with pyro does it become a single target beast. For leveling, and especially because we are multiboxing, i find Frost to be absolutely incredible. Ice shards, shatter, frostbite, with 4 stacked mages, you obliterate everything that is vulnerable to frost. Winters chill will insta max stack, Ice barrier is amazing especially when AOEing, you have an oh crap button x2 with ice block, and the control you gain with CC is the best in the game. Tossing a frost nova and/or a Cone of Cold for the freezing and chill effect when AoEing with Arcane Explosion gives you 50% crit against those frozen targets with any spell. So in effect that beats Imp arcane explosion by a lot. Round up mobs, 1xfrost nova, 3-4xAE, 1xfrost nova, 3-4xAE, ect. You're effectively doing 100% crit damage on your first 2 AE's, and that damage means you have to cast less AE's to kill, which effectively saves you mana, which defeats the point of being Arcane spec and it's mana bonuses. You only need to be using Rank 1 Frost nova for the freezing effect, the damage gain is negligible and you'll save 100 mana per cast. You can even get a bit advanced and after you round up the mobs and freeze them all with frost nova, drop flamestrikes which will all have a 50% chance too crit rather than the fire spec imp flamestrikes measly 15%. Frost is amazing solo, but as a boxer it's insane. Even arcane subtlety 2/2 is great for frost, gives a nice bit of damage to cold resit mobs, i think all undead have some cold resist if im not mistaken.

    The synergy is crazy, in which Arcane spec really doesnt share. Fire has great synergy, but you dont see it reach it's potential until you're 60 and geared.
    Last edited by Purpleflavor : 10-24-2019 at 06:31 PM

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks a lot for the tips. Much appreciated!

    quick last one. I understand then you do not take sacrifice for an extra 15% fire damage during AOEs (thanks to imp sacrifice). Is it because the 20% threat reduction from MD helps the war keep the aggro during the hellfire / arcane expl phases ?
    Last edited by Nyth : 10-25-2019 at 10:29 AM

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleflavor View Post
    Aftermath will help with runners if you have no other solution, or prefer it. You have a lot of options to cover that though. That warlock spec is close to a very common raiding spec for pumping out max damage shadowbolts. Another is MD/ruin for the threat reduction, but i dont see how you could get more than 3 points into MD if you spec pyroclasm, depending on how you feel, maybe going something like https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IZfgVzMx0xZex0xb0z would help with threat. High chance to stun or 20% reduced threat, I'd pick reduced threat for times when you arent aoeing.

    As a mage group, 3 or 4, this is what i've found to be optimal.
    Arcane is great, cant go wrong leveling arcane, but it really doesnt help with mana until you start gearing up. Those percentages of 10 and 15 only matter when you start stacking on stats in the hundreds. The PoM is amazing, but not enough so to be a priority or outscale some of the other specs. In the 50's and also with pyro does it become a single target beast. For leveling, and especially because we are multiboxing, i find Frost to be absolutely incredible. Ice shards, shatter, frostbite, with 4 stacked mages, you obliterate everything that is vulnerable to frost. Winters chill will insta max stack, Ice barrier is amazing especially when AOEing, you have an oh crap button x2 with ice block, and the control you gain with CC is the best in the game. Tossing a frost nova and/or a Cone of Cold for the freezing and chill effect when AoEing with Arcane Explosion gives you 50% crit against those frozen targets with any spell. So in effect that beats Imp arcane explosion by a lot. Round up mobs, 1xfrost nova, 3-4xAE, 1xfrost nova, 3-4xAE, ect. You're effectively doing 100% crit damage on your first 2 AE's, and that damage means you have to cast less AE's to kill, which effectively saves you mana, which defeats the point of being Arcane spec and it's mana bonuses. You only need to be using Rank 1 Frost nova for the freezing effect, the damage gain is negligible and you'll save 100 mana per cast. You can even get a bit advanced and after you round up the mobs and freeze them all with frost nova, drop flamestrikes which will all have a 50% chance too crit rather than the fire spec imp flamestrikes measly 15%. Frost is amazing solo, but as a boxer it's insane. Even arcane subtlety 2/2 is great for frost, gives a nice bit of damage to cold resit mobs, i think all undead have some cold resist if im not mistaken.

    The synergy is crazy, in which Arcane spec really doesnt share. Fire has great synergy, but you dont see it reach it's potential until you're 60 and geared.
    This seems like a great idea, what kind of build would you recommend to take advantage of the frost synergy? Could this take on bosses?

    My 4 mages are currently arcane but it sounds like it may be worth switching over.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyth View Post
    Thanks a lot for the tips. Much appreciated!

    quick last one. I understand then you do not take sacrifice for an extra 15% fire damage during AOEs (thanks to imp sacrifice). Is it because the 20% threat reduction from MD helps the war keep the aggro during the hellfire / arcane expl phases ?
    Most people go DS for raiding and squeezing that min/max succi sac shadow damage and the fact that pets die in raids always. I wouldnt bother with the fire damage for aoeing, it already does so much damage that your real issue is threat, casting knockbacks and interruptions, and staying alive. Imps phase shift also ensures it never dies. Also MD succi is 10% all damage so there's that if you want more.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
    This seems like a great idea, what kind of build would you recommend to take advantage of the frost synergy? Could this take on bosses?

    My 4 mages are currently arcane but it sounds like it may be worth switching over.
    baseline
    https://classicdb.ch/?talent#obZZVAG0o0tVo
    and build from there.

    For a more Arcane build go
    https://classicdb.ch/?talent#oi0VbocZZVAG0oMtVo
    I think it was Peregrine who pointed out how good Amplify magic was for your priest and how well it was working for him in another thread.

    For a more Frost build go
    https://classicdb.ch/?talent#owZZVAGIoftAo
    I prefer this one.

    For bosses this build is one of the highest dps spec in the game, so it's really just about whether you survive or not. Ice barrier and ice block help a ton with that, more so than any other 4 mage spec. But, Arcane POM pyro spec does so much up front burst damage most bosses will be half dead in your opener, and sometimes offense is the best defense.

  10. #10

    Default

    I’m running two mages and a lock currently in BRD. What I’m probably going to move to with my lock is soul link with a void walker. You can get massive dmg mitigation since the lock will always be pulling aggro anyways. My mages are deep arcane currently and just using arcane explosion with hellfire. For single target just run curse of elements.

    for awhile I was doing ranged AoE but found it’s just more simple to have the team follow my warrior closely.

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •