Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Unhappy 1-20 is such a struggle (alliance)

    I haven't mboxed since Cataclysm. The main reason it's such a struggle is the other players. Getting whispered "lol reported" or people running up to me making some snarky comment about being a loser is easy enough to deal with; but while questing, the amount of people that follow me and steal mobs or quest items is getting so annoying.

    I can't count how many times I've clearly been heading to a mob or quest item first, only for some person to come flying in and steal the mob/item/chest. I've cleared camps of mobs and at the end of the combat someone will grab the chest that spawned.

    The WoW classic community is absolutely horrendous, and it's pretty clear most people hate multiboxers for whatever reason.

    I planned on running deadmines at 20 to make it easier, but due to the amount of pain I endured in Westfall and then Redridge, I HAD to start deadmines at 18. I am running paladin tank, mage, lock, rogue, and a paladin healer. My healer is fine for the most part, but in boss fights my mage/lock run out of mana pretty fast. Not a big issue, and the fact that I'm able to kill two bosses in Deadmines is great; I have no problem clearing that place 15+ times if I have to, to avoid the nightmare that is questing amongst the general WoW population.

    Westfall does have its fair share of collection quests, but they aren't even that bad, what makes them bad is the other players. I skip collection quests in any zones because it's a struggle to fight with mobs against so many other solo players who hate you. I'm wondering what has happened in the past few years that has made people hate multiboxers so much. Was there some multibox streamer that did something?
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance


  2. #2

    Default

    I didn't really experience any hate going through WestFall. I did get a little bit of people trying to bother me here/there & typically I just ignored them and typically they got bored pretty quickly.

    The only real contesting I got was on Hogger, which I didn't really need to do but wanted to do. There was a group ahead of me and I patiently waited for them to get a spawn and leave but when it was my turn another group came up and cut in line stealing my turn because "I was a botter & didn't deserve a turn". They then tried to keep me from getting the next one but I got the tag and burned hogger down (they tried to out dps me) and then I quickly moved on ignoring them.

    In Westfall I recommend doing the Hyperspawns on the far coast as documented on the dungeons tab of my planning spreadsheet. It is on the far end of the map and there are 2 spawns (one on the cliff above the shoreline and the ones on the shoreline itself). A single player has trouble with them and typically moves on but even if another small group shows up each spawn is enough for 2 groups if you are in the lower end of the level range... I had to go back there for some bandanas as one point when they were barely green to me and did get contested by an Alliance group but I just tagged the mobs on my side of the spawn and they got the message and started tagging the mobs on their half... Once I got my bandanas on all 5 characters I left (was pretty fast since they were all green/gray to me).

    Edit: The first 3 lines the Dungeons tab of the Classic WoW Planning spreadsheet can let you bypass all of that by FexEx'ing to level 12 and then doing the HyperSpawns to 18 and then doing the mine area outside the Dead Mines (VC/DM)):

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=566752830
    Last edited by nodoze : 10-22-2019 at 06:39 PM

  3. #3
    Member JohnGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle Washington, USA
    Posts
    2229

    Default

    I've been experimenting with a movement system that does not keep your followers clumped up while following so you don't really look like a multiboxer. That seems like something that might be really useful in classic, don't really have the hate problem in retail.

    But currently I am not multiboxing so I put it on hold. But basically you'd use mouse broadcasting to move and just tap follow every few seconds, causing your followers to move in the same general direction but not all clumped up. My follow key was multi-step, sometimes follow the master, sometimes a different toon, sometimes jump, random stuff. It will look really close to being different people.

    I will eventually get a guide up for it, but if you're familiar with isBoxer the above description should get you started easily enough if you wanted to try it.

    Wont be any hate if they think you're all different people.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d0z3rr View Post
    I can't count how many times I've clearly been heading to a mob or quest item first, only for some person to come flying in and steal the mob/item/chest. I've cleared camps of mobs and at the end of the combat someone will grab the chest that spawned.
    This happens when not multiboxing too. It is the the WoW culture, it is shit and always has been, that's what happens when a game is popular. The difference is, if you are multi-boxing someone won't just blind invite you to group up for a boss/named kill, they can't.

    People do not like multiboxers, but the competition is real for everyone, not just multiboxers.

    I had a guy two-boxing invite me (solo) to a group at low level clearing one of the caves for quest updates. It went great. But if you have a full group, you can't group up and people are going to feel more rushed because they think you are going to clear everything out and camp it probably.

    You have to realize what you are doing, clearing out all the quest mobs other people need too. That same person is probably bitching about a boxer coming in and stealing all the mobs. If you were solo, how would you feel competing for quest spawns against a multiboxer?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snixxt View Post
    ... You have to realize what you are doing, clearing out all the quest mobs other people need too. That same person is probably bitching about a boxer coming in and stealing all the mobs. If you were solo, how would you feel competing for quest spawns against a multiboxer?
    Those are really good points. We as multiboxers do often take X times the number of finite resources and should think at least some about how the others may feel. That is the beauty of the FedEx approach as you bypass all areas of possible contesting to get to level 12+ and then you farm Hyperspawns that a regular single character can't...

    The biggest problems I have had are people demanding me to invite them and not understanding that if I convert to a Raid we can't complete certain quests.

    I did have one guy demand I kick a character from my party and invite him to kill a world mini-boss for a quest and he got mad when I refused. He then demanded, since he was there by himself first, that I wait for him to recruit a group to come kill it with him (and then I could take my turn)... After being patient and telling him that people can't easily get here as they have to clear to where we were he continued to argue so I just finally told him that he was being rude and unreasonable so I pulled the boss... He then tried to take the tag and/or out DPS me (or something?) & then pulled some extra mobs to try to wipe me so I only healed my party and avoided his mobs till he died... After the boss died I looted and hearthed. I didn't speak to him nor try to rez him and was gone before he could get back from the graveyard.

    I had one case where someone asked to be invited and I explained the risks of converting to Raid and they were willing to try anyway (and so was I) and we did but we didn't get credit so disbanded and we went our separate ways (was just doing pretty easy quest stuff so he could do it on his own anyway)... I think we separated on at least neutral terms as I tried to accommodate and maybe semi-friends for at least trying...

    Later on another world mini boss kill I had someone ask to join and I explained the raid limitations and he was bummed but understanding. He watched while I pulled and it was semi-difficult and he helped heal my group and DPS without trying to steal the kill... When the boss was dead and I had what I needed I asked him if he planned to stay there for the respawn and for another group and he said yes so I said I would wait with him and kick a party member to invite him for doing it again. He got his credit and I like to think we parted as friends...

    Anyway I feel like a lot of it comes down to how people, on both sides, respond. In that particularly bad interaction I could have been the bigger person and asked if that guy would do the boss twice if I kick a party member or, alternately, if I had been thinking ahead better, I could have told him I was willing to stay and do it twice to help him get him credit after I got my credit. I felt he was rude from the get go and was not my typical nice self after that and kinda let myself down by letting him get to me.
    Last edited by nodoze : 10-22-2019 at 06:47 PM

  6. #6

    Default

    This is my first time playing Alliance in pre Cata world and early leveling content including Deadmines is pretty horrible compared to Horde , but damn once you hit 23 and go to Stockades things get so much better.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madsage View Post
    This is my first time playing Alliance in pre Cata world and early leveling content including Deadmines is pretty horrible compared to Horde , but damn once you hit 23 and go to Stockades things get so much better.
    Yeah Stockades and even Gnomergan were pretty smooth sailing (as long as you deal with runners).

  8. #8

    Default

    FedEx route, and ignore. So many kill quests in redridge/duskwood/westfall/Elwyn, you literally dont have to do a single collection quest and if you use insta spells nobody can steal tags. Also use layering if it's available for you.

    https://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/...l=1#post421255

  9. #9
    Member Ughmahedhurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North of The Wall, South of The Line
    Posts
    7118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d0z3rr View Post
    the amount of people that follow me and steal mobs or quest items is getting so annoying.

    I can't count how many times I've clearly been heading to a mob or quest item first, only for some person to come flying in and steal the mob/item/chest. I've cleared camps of mobs and at the end of the combat someone will grab the chest that spawned.

    The WoW classic community is absolutely horrendous, and it's pretty clear most people hate multiboxers for whatever reason.

    I planned on running deadmines at 20 to make it easier, but due to the amount of pain I endured in Westfall and then Redridge, I HAD to start deadmines at 18. I am running paladin tank, mage, lock, rogue, and a paladin healer. My healer is fine for the most part, but in boss fights my mage/lock run out of mana pretty fast. Not a big issue, and the fact that I'm able to kill two bosses in Deadmines is great; I have no problem clearing that place 15+ times if I have to, to avoid the nightmare that is questing amongst the general WoW population.

    Westfall does have its fair share of collection quests, but they aren't even that bad, what makes them bad is the other players. I skip collection quests in any zones because it's a struggle to fight with mobs against so many other solo players who hate you. I'm wondering what has happened in the past few years that has made people hate multiboxers so much. Was there some multibox streamer that did something?
    It gets better after ~25ish in my experience. Granted, I'm on medium-pop horde. Still, it's like life: ignore 'em and turn off as much chat as you can as there will always be people playing around you that really don't have the spare brain cells to overcome the cognitive dissonance they experience when seeing someone play the game in a way that is different from their expectations or preconceived "rules." Play the way you want to play and accept only the results that could be rationally expected to result from it. (i.e. if you're a d-bag, accept the hate/bans; if you're cool, accept only those that respond in kind) I also notice that when I am imperturbable in my responses and proactively having fun, a good portion of them will change their thinking. The ones that don't are hidebound reactionaries that aren't worth more than an /ignore command. You'll probably start noticing that the regular decent folks don't usually say much.

    Quote Originally Posted by nodoze View Post
    When the boss was dead and I had what I needed I asked him if he planned to stay there for the respawn and for another group and he said yes so I said I would wait with him and kick a party member for doing it again. He got his credit and I like to think we parted as friends...
    I do this as often as I am able, and my results have been 99% positive to active or passive assistance. I'd still offer to do this anytime I can because I prefer to *set* the example. If they don't appreciate it, that's on them.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

  10. #10

    Default

    Craft yourself a couple of greater magic wands or finish the defias quest chain that awards a green wand. Wands at that level will do more DPS than casting frostbolt/shadowbolt on bosses.

    Most people are stupid and stupid people will focus on the easiest point of reference. For us, that's multiboxing. If we're honest, the same people still try to steal mobs and chests from other players or talk trash and ragequit dungeon groups because they wipe once, hop from guild to guild because they can't get along with anybody or they didn't get a piece of gear they wanted in a raid, etc.

    The fact that you're multiboxing is just the excuse these dummies use to exhibit their natural behavior. I wouldn't take it personally. I actually kind of enjoy it TBH. Respond politely, tell them to calm down and that you're sorry they feel so upset. Ask if they need to talk about it with somebody? Then they get aggravated and start abusing you and you have a reason to report them for harassment. I've seen this play out dozens of times. It's funny.
    Last edited by Apatheist : 10-23-2019 at 09:01 AM

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •