Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default Multiboxing Rift, is it rewarding?

I played this game when it launched for about a month or two but not multiboxing. I'm now interested in multiboxing it in the future ... as when I need to take a break from WoW (I know Legion is coming soon). I watched some videos on setting up RIFT with ISBoxer and it seems very similar to WoW. My question is how rewarding is this game multiboxed compared to WoW? In WoW, on most dungeons I have to somehow outgear the dungeon (at least in WoD) where the drops are actually useless aside from disenchanting. I am speaking in behalf of multiboxing a party of 5, I am not sure if this is true if you have 10. Now back to Rift, I am curious if the outdoor (Rift/Invasion) bosses can be a good source of gear.

Blog Entries

Rift takes longer to level (or it still did the last time I played) and if you pay to unlock one account for access to the auction house, I think you should find it rewarding for a month or two. Because it takes longer to level there is a lot more value in that leveling. The dungeons are harder, a lot harder, than leveling dungeons in wow, so you have to go into it knowing that. I'm assuming you meant mythics/heroics and not leveling dungeons when you called wow dungeons difficult?

It is a little bit more resource intensive than wow, and multiboxing the game itself is a little bit rougher. Instant quests always give you a way to grind for a bit without normal questing, but you will be harassed if you do them with a group that has an obvious name similarity. I'll also caution that it is the only game where I've ever been treated with hostility by my own guildmates (random zerg guild but still) for multiboxing.

The macro system is fun and different (from wow) and it is nice to feel like you have real talent trees again, although that seeming is something of an illusion (in vanilla rift genuine multispeccing worked very well, after the first expansion you have to go deep into one tree). Multiboxing means that if you are paying attention yeah you can do most of the rifts alone, and get nice prizes.

I've never played at end-game, but I know people do/have. I didn't care for it solo boxing, personally, because it was grindy and I didn't really have anywhere to go, but for a couple of months of cheap fun, its a nice diversion for any multiboxer bored of wow.

Quick edit: I did have several posts about it on my db.com blog, if you are curious enough to go back a couple of years.

I multiboxed it end game, probably a year or so ago so a lot may have changed. As mentioned its more resource intensive, where I could 10 box in WoW I could only 5 box in Rift. The macro system is passable for boxing, but you'll miss a lot of the things from WoW.

Leveling it seems is more about the dungeons but end game it seems is more about the Rifts, open world raid type thing like a cross between the world bosses and raiding in WoW. While I would do the minimum amount of dungeons I would do Rifts all day.

Its 'wow-like' enough that when I get bored with WoW I can go back to Rift, and when I get bored with Rift I can go back to WoW.

Also as mentioned, there is some hate towards boxers in that game. It was starting to ease up when I left, possibly because the game was starting to cater to more of the casual player and not the hardcore player but who knows.

I noticed that dungeoneering in Rift was significantly more painful than WoW, so I mostly stuck to leveling and doing world events. As for me, I found the world rifts a lot of fun as 5 bards because I could DPS and heal the hell out of the raid, making most folks enjoy the world content a lot better as they were actually getting some support and not just running up and dying repeatedly.

I never did the serious raiding stuff, so I can't speak to that.

As for aesthetics, I did notice that the immersion in Rift wasn't anywhere near what it is in WoW, mostly due to graphics rendering, control responsiveness, and physics.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post

As for aesthetics, I did notice that the immersion in Rift wasn't anywhere near what it is in WoW, mostly due to graphics rendering, control responsiveness, and physics.
    It's uglier and the quest hubs feel a lot more repetitive. Fortunately you can ignore them and just farm instant quests and rifts all day if you want.

Rifts, and the zone events were honestly where I had most of my fun.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)