Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Boxing Rift F2P

  1. #1
    Member JohnGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle Washington, USA
    Posts
    2229

    Default Boxing Rift F2P

    In WoW when somebody was ganked by a boxer they went and complained in the WoW forums. When Rift goes F2P these guys suddenly have another option, to start boxing themselves.

    Anyone predict a big influx of new boxers?

    It seems like it can get carried away very quickly and Rift will have to do something, like when WoW removed follow.

  2. #2

    Default

    Meh. I doubt it. It was never an unfair advantage in WoW. Nothing stopped people from signing up new starter accounts for free, getting 30 days free, getting RaF rewards free, and applying extra game time to the veteran account for 30 days free.

    The complainers regarding WoW and MBers was always, and still is, a weak fallacy. Blizz has 8 mil subs to tend to. Can't please everyone. Trion has considerably less subs. I would presume the increase in subs, and potential in game purchases would be greatly welcomed. IF they were to follow suit with Blizzard (no pun intended), then it will be quite some time till that happens.

    Regardless, they arent doing it now, and Blizz is. So, its an easy move with no regret.

  3. #3
    Multiboxologist MiRai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Winter Is Coming
    Posts
    6662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    Anyone predict a big influx of new boxers?
    I would say, yes, but because I have any facts to back that up; it's because I threw an imaginary dart at my imaginary dartboard and that's where it landed. No, but really, I'd say yes because when any game goes F2P there are people that want to try it out but haven't because of monthly fees that can pile up.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    It seems like it can get carried away very quickly and Rift will have to do something, like when WoW removed follow.
    It only becomes a problem when there are enough people who are abusive and multibox to intentionally grief or disrupt other players continuously. These are the same people who feel they are invincible and play "however they want" because of a EULA/TOS which temporarily protects them. They continue to play this way "because they can" and it's usually only a matter of time before said company gets tired of hearing complaints about a playstyle which has been unsupported since day one and they end up making changes which either directly, or indirectly, affect almost every other multiboxer there is who plays that same game.

    TL;DR - RIFT isn't as enticing to multibox as WoW for various reasons, so I doubt there will be much of an issue for Trion or RIFT multiboxers.

    Cool story courtesy of MiRai

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post

    TL;DR - RIFT isn't as enticing to multibox as WoW for various reasons,

    Only because Im about to delve into Rift soon, would you mind pointing out those reasons? I did check one of your youtube accounts to see if you had videos of Rift. Didnt see any. So, essentially, what should I expect? What am I missing here?

  5. #5
    Multiboxologist MiRai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Winter Is Coming
    Posts
    6662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apps View Post
    Only because Im about to delve into Rift soon, would you mind pointing out those reasons? I did check one of your youtube accounts to see if you had videos of Rift. Didnt see any. So, essentially, what should I expect? What am I missing here?
    • No referral benefits that come close to Recruit-a-Friend
    • The game engine can be quite a resource hog
    • You don't get handed gear as quickly or easily at end game (e.g. LFR)
    • IWT & CTM don't exist in the same fashion as they do in WoW
    • Limited API for add-ons (hence why ISBoxer doesn't have a Game Helper for it, yet)
    • Gameplay is not as fluid compared to WoW (this is obviously a personal gripe)


    But, despite the list, it's still a good game and that's why I will eventually multibox it after it's F2P. It's just not as enticing and I would bet that most people who had multiboxed WoW over the years (and liked multiboxing WoW) would tell you the same thing if they played RIFT.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    • No referral benefits that come close to Recruit-a-Friend
    • The game engine can be quite a resource hog
    • You don't get handed gear as quickly or easily at end game (e.g. LFR)
    • IWT & CTM don't exist in the same fashion as they do in WoW
    • Limited API for add-ons (hence why ISBoxer doesn't have a Game Helper for it, yet)
    • Gameplay is not as fluid compared to WoW (this is obviously a personal gripe)

    But, despite the list, it's still a good game and that's why I will eventually multibox it after it's F2P. It's just not as enticing and I would bet that most people who had multiboxed WoW over the years (and liked multiboxing WoW) would tell you the same thing if they played RIFT.
    There are plenty of other F2P MMOs out there that you can multibox very well. They haven't been overrun with multiboxers either. There are much more fundamental hurdles to multiboxing than the cost of a subscription.

    Personally I much prefer multiboxing Rift over WoW. I can't stand the silly graphics in WoW anymore, and I much prefer the flexible class spec system in Rift. I like Rift's in-game macro system better too.

    All your points are correct, but none of them matters to me. Not having IWT or CTM may make it harder to play melee classes, but I didn't do that in WoW either. Rift's /interact, /assist and /follow commands are enough for me.
    Team 1: 7x60p80 Clerics + 3x60p60 Mages (Legio IX)
    Team 2: 5x60 Clerics + 5x60 Rogues
    Team 3: 10x60 Warriors

  7. #7

    Default

    One thing i look forward to trying out when i give Rift another shot ( if i ever get bored with EQ2 ) Is their housing feature..looks and sounds pretty damn cool!
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •