As I understand it, putting failable items in a single macro can cause the rest of a macro to fail, which is why we should not do, say:

/cast Purge
/cast Lightning Bolt

To get around this, I had attempted three buttons worth of macros:

Button 1:
/click Button2
/click Button3

Button 2:
/cast Purge

Button3:
/cast Lightning Bolt

This seems to end up with Lightning Bolt not getting cast if Purge could not be cast. This runs contrary to my "humanocentric" view of things: if I put Purge on Button 2 and Lightning Bolt and Button 3 and hit them a lot, Lightning Bolt will cast. Since, I thought, /click was just clicking Button 2 for me, I am surprised to find that it's checking the "return value" before clicking Button 3.

The question, then, is: is this user error - have I set up my macro wrong? Or is this simply an extension of the "failures cause the macro to fail" - even if, as in this case, they're actually failures in the /clicked items?

Note: I think have worked around it by only having one failable item per character, and putting it on the last button. If Purge is on button 3, this setup seems to work as expected. Then again, I'm usually too frantic to be absolutely certain that it's actually getting cast - I just know that I couldn't kill Paletress's stupid memories until I got purge in there, and now I can. I'm still not sure about my warlock and her conflag..