Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Default ignorance is bliss

Hi all

please excuse my stupid question but what are the reasoning behind the fact that only PS2 switch boxers will work?

it seems illogical with todays tech that we cant create USB or even a wireless option?
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

-Terry Pratchet

I don't have all of the low-level details, but from a high-level view, the basic difference is that PS/2 is a "stateless" connection, where USB is a "stateful" connection. By that, I mean that the PS/2 controller on the motherboard is always there and takes any input within the expected range. USB is different, though, in that the USB controller is a generic controller and requires a "smart" device to connect, respond to USB query ("polling" is the technical term) events and identify itself as a correct USB device and sort of synchronize itself with device manager.

It's much the same as the older 27Mhz wireless keyboards versus Bluetooth. 27Mhz stuff is generic broadcast, where Bluetooth requires an authenticated connection for every single device.

It should be noted that while this is generally true, there apparently exists a USB hardware broadcaster, it's just notably more expensive than PS/2.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I wrote an easy to understand explanation of USB KVM's for another poster some time ago. I listed the pros and cons of the different types, my personal experience and why I chose to use PS/2 instead. You may find it helpful in answering your question.

USB kvm question
    Aldercy (Warrior) / Corette (Mage) / Florette (Mage) / Lorette (Mage) / Morette (Priest)
    1---|----10----|----20----|----30----|----40----|----50----|----60----|----70----|----*80*
    5 boxing Aliance side US Argent Dawn

Hhmm so i see

its not so much a phyiscal thing but more a software issue

I'm not pro but i love to theories and create things. Personaly i dont see i cannot create a usb switch

only down fall i foresee with be a slight delay in input and that every pc would need to be a mirror image of each other

think ill tinker on it in the next few months and see what i come up with
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

-Terry Pratchet