Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17

Default Configuration Advice Requested - And I really will use the feedback!

Looking for a 5-boxing system that has good performance (even in Dalaran) and will last a few years.

Using this community's advice, I put together the following system on Cyberpower. BTW, I plan on using a 30" monitor that I have for all 5 clients using a Keyclone maximizer setup.

I'm looking for feedback on anything I'm missing in this system or obvious things you would change to make the system a better investment.

A few specific questions:

Should I be telling them to overclock the processor or videocard?

Is the power supply adequate?

Is Vista Basic good enough?

I'm not planning on adding any must-have data on this computer (using the old one for photos and such), so I don't need a seperate "data drive", right?

The price came out to $1560, but I don't mind spending a bit more if I can get the bang for the buck.

Lastly, is Cyberpower a good company to order the computer from? Are there others that you would recommend I put together a similiar configuration on for comparison?

Thanks so much for taking some time to take a look!

CASE: Apevia X-Supra Gaming Mid-Tower 420W Case (G Type Black Color with Side-Window)
    Neon Light Upgrade: NONE
    Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
    POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
    COOLING FAN : Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink
    MOTHERBOARD: MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio
    MEMORY: 12GB (6x2GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
    VIDEO CARD 3: NONE
    LCD Monitor: NONE
    2nd Monitor: NONE
    HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    Data Hard Drive: NONE
    USB PORTABLE DRIVE: NONE
    Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: NONE
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: NONE
    NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
    MODEM: NONE
    KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3200 Laser Cordless Keyboard & Mouse Combo
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    Extra Thermal Display : NONE
    Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: NONE
    Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
    Cable Wiring: None
    Rounded Cable: None
    VIDEO CAMERA: NONE
    PRINTER: None
    PRINTER CABLE: None
    IEEE CARD: NONE
    USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    FLOPPY: NONE
    OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
    FREEBIES: None
    Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    RUSH SERVICE: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
    10-boxing Alliance Sargeras and Kil'jaeden

VIDEO CARD 2: NONE change this too...
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896MB 16X PCI Express (This is to make Dalaran run smooth)
    420W power supply needs to change to 700w or so

everything else looks good to me

Let them hate, as long as they fear.

Default RE: Configuration Advice Requested - And I really will use the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by 'Mercurio',index.php?page=Thread&postID=162777#pos t162777
    Data Hard Drive: NONE
    change this to an SSD, it can drastically improve performance. download wow onto the SSD and symlink it on the other HDD's. SSD's have extremely good read times, not as good write times though so don't load the OS on the SSD.

~YYF
    "Atra du evarìnya ono varda, un atra esternì ono thelduin!" - "May the stars watch over you, and may good fortune rule over you!"
    - Yo-Yo Freak

oh and weather you go with 1 or 2 video cards you need a bigger PSU. for that system you need a minimum of probably 500w (600w+ is probably better). if you go with 2 GPU's you should have a minimum of probably 700w.

Hope this helps some. ^_^

~YYF
    "Atra du evarìnya ono varda, un atra esternì ono thelduin!" - "May the stars watch over you, and may good fortune rule over you!"
    - Yo-Yo Freak

Quote Originally Posted by 'Kedash00',index.php?page=Thread&postID=162835#pos t162835
    VIDEO CARD 2: NONE change this too...
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896MB 16X PCI Express (This is to make Dalaran run smooth)
    420W power supply needs to change to 700w or so

everything else looks good to me
    Thanks for the feedback! However, I'm a bit confused by your reply - does this mean you think I need 2 video cards? Won't the GTX260 be enough to run my single 30" monitor without issues?

And even if I bought a second video card, is there some way to use both of their capabilities to run a single monitor better? (Is this SLI or xfire or something? - I'm not too up on the application of these things though I have read a number of posts discussing them). Currently I use a single 8800 GT card to run the 30" monitor and it seems to do fine, so I figured a single GTX260 would be more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Yo-Yo Freak',index.php?page=Thread&postID=162844#post162 844
    change this to an SSD, it can drastically improve performance. download wow onto the SSD and symlink it on the other HDD's. SSD's have extremely good read times, not as good write times though so don't load the OS on the SSD.
    In what I read from the forums, it seemed the consensus that two decent HHDs in a Raid 0 configuration was superior to an SSD. Or at least very competitive with the SSD while costing less. If the SSD is actually superior, I would probably just get a single HDD, ignore the Raid 0 config, and use the SSD for my WoW folder. Anyone care to weigh in on which is better (2 HDDs with Raid 0 vs 1 HDD for Windows and other files and 1 SDD for WoW)?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Yo-Yo Freak',index.php?page=Thread&postID=162848#post162 848
    oh and weather you go with 1 or 2 video cards you need a bigger PSU. for that system you need a minimum of probably 500w (600w+ is probably better). if you go with 2 GPU's you should have a minimum of probably 700w.

Thanks Yo-Yo, power supply upgrade integrated into the configuration. And yes, that helps a lot

currently WoW does not take advantage of SLI/XFire, or atleast i can't find any hard evidence that it does. people say it does people say it doesn't and you know how that kind of thing goes... but anyway, just one GTX 260 should be more then enough to power your monitor and box WoW. the only problem though is that your 30" will be running at such a high resolution, if you wanted to add another monitor of just about any size, you would be maxing out the resolution output of your graphics card. this will result in drasticly lowering the performance of the card. so if you ever plan on running more monitors you should consider getting another graphics card. if you want this computer to be more of an all around better gaming computer you should get another of the exact same card so you can run them in SLI to increas performance in games like COD 1-5, Left for Dead, Crysis, FarCry 2 and all those other graphics intensive games with ~40 fps average.

what SLI/XFire does is it basicly combines multiple GPU's to produce higher performance. it also increases the resolution output of a single DVI/VGA monitor output, a must for soemthing like the TripleHead2Go. just do a quick google and you will find limitless info on what SLI/XFire is.

~YYF
    - Yo-Yo Freak

OK, so my updated configuration is (major or changed components in red):

CASE: ($20 off Mail-in Rebate) NEW! Apevia X-Jupiter Jr. 420 Watts Case (G Type Metallic Gray Color with Side-Window)
    Neon Light Upgrade: NONE
    Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
    POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 680 Watts Power Supplies (Hush Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
    COOLING FAN : Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof + Smart CPU & System Thermal Monitor)
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio

MEMORY: 12GB (6x2GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
    VIDEO CARD 3: NONE
    LCD Monitor: NONE
    2nd Monitor: NONE
    HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    Data Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
    USB PORTABLE DRIVE: NONE
    Optical Drive: Sony 20X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: NONE
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: NONE
    NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
    MODEM: NONE
    KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3200 Laser Cordless Keyboard & Mouse Combo
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    Extra Thermal Display : NONE
    Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: NONE
    Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
    Cable Wiring: None
    Rounded Cable: None
    VIDEO CAMERA: NONE
    PRINTER: None
    PRINTER CABLE: None
    IEEE CARD: NONE
    USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    FLOPPY: NONE
    OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
    FREEBIES: None
    Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    RUSH SERVICE: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

If I don't get any other feedback from "the masters" (you guys), I'll order this from Cyberpower in the next couple of days. Thanks again for the help!

looks good, should do what you want fairly well. only advice i have is that i would probably change/add a blue-ray player, but i don't know if you already have a blue-ray dvd player for a tv. if you don't i would suggest getting this, it won't improve your computers performance at all but you can watch HD movies on your monitor.

other then what i mentiond above it seems just fine.

~YYF
    - Yo-Yo Freak

I think you'll find that with computer components, much like anything else, there is a lot of opinion mixed in with the facts. So, having said that, here's my feedback:

System looks pretty good overall. I agree with the PSU upgrade.

As far as the video, I can tell you that right now I'm running a gtx260 on a 30" monitor and I'm not satisfied with the Northrend performance. However, I am sure that my (greatest) bottleneck is CPU (Core Duo), so I'm building myself an i7 machine as well. My feeling is that once I do, a single gtx 260 will be sufficient. However, they are currently running about $240 so I just decided to go ahead and get another one. No reason to build a BA machine and then hobble it for that kind of money

BTW, I believe that WoW will use SLI just fine. Where it gets tricky is if you want to use multiple monitors (I do). Currently, X-fire works over multiple monitors and SLI doesn't, but Nvidia is planning to fix that RSN as I understand. I think where a lot of this "wow doesn't make use of SLI" comes from is that wow isn't a very GPU intensive game so something like SLI is usually overkill, but that's not necessarily true when you are running multiple clients at these types of resolutions.

My advice: Get your computer and see how it runs. If it's not good enough, get another 260 and SLI them and see how that goes.

Regarding the hard disk: I don't recommend RAID for two primary reasons. 1) most of the commodity m/b raid controllers are not hardware solutions meaning they will not perform nearly as well as you might think AND they are using you CPU more than a non-raid configuration. 2) The little performance increase I noticed on the last two I tried was not worth the fact that if either disk fails or the RAID parameters get reset you lose all data. It's not like other types of failures where you might be able to stick the drive in another computer as a slave and recover the information. When RAID0 goes bad it goes really bad.

FWIW, I have found the best multibox wow setup to be an SSD with the WoW Data directory (don't need the other directories - there isn't that much there and SSD drives aren't swift on writes so you don't want changing configuration data and such on it) that is symlinked into multiple wow folders as needed, all on the same drive - this is currently how I have mine setup. If you're interested in why, there are quite a few threads around here about it, but that's been the best configuration I've found.

Good luck, and enjoy the new computer.
    No matter where you go, there you are.