Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default 3 PC's vs. 1 PC (What do you suggest for New MB User)

So I have 3 decent computers and I was trying to decide how I should go: Use all 3 PC to run 5 toons or just run 1 and upgrade it a bit.

(2) (Slaves) 2.6GHz, 2/3GB Ram (2 toons per box)
    (1) (Main) 2.6GHz, 3GB Ram (Main toon)

From what I've read, if I go with all 3, I will need a KVM and Oct. (Correct?)

My friends that MB all run single pcs and keyclone, so they aren't much help on the multi pc idea.

Thanks for your input & advice.
    Horde:
    5 80 BE Paladins (Ret)
    3 80 Orc Hunters
    1 80 Orc Shaman (Resto)
    1 80 Death Knight (Tank/DPS)

Alliance:
    80 Hu Death Knight DPS
    80 Hu Paladin (Tank)
    70 Hu Priest S2 (Disc)
    72 Dr Shaman (Resto)

Tons of 60's Horde/Alliance

You can get Keyclone license for each computer and use them together. From what I've read in the past, the consensus is going to be 'Use what you have'. If you have 3 computers that can run WoW, you'll probably have the easiest/cheapest time using those three. At the very least, this will get you started, and if you decide you like the MB aspect of the game, you can adjust later on.

Yeah I'd use all three if your machines can run the necessary instances.

Octopus is free and you can set it up on three machines will using only one keyboard and mouse to control them.

However, you still need to launch the octopus program on your slave PCs before your main's kb/mouse can control them
    Sparkle Motion -Paladin, Warlock, two Mages, and a Priest
    The Shocks - 5x Shamans
    Death Turtles - 5x Death Knights
    Guild co-founder of Ars Brute Squad - Chromaggus (Horde-PvP)

Is your main computer at least a dual core? Also what is your main computers video card? Honestly if its a dual card and you have a fairly decent video card you could run all three on that one machine if you liked. As stated keyclone and octopus will handle all your kvm/key replication needs if you decide to use all three computers and honestly I would probably start by trying to use all three computers. It will definately decrease any lag you have in cities / pvp. Depending on the answers to the above questions you most likely have a 5 boxable setup as well if you wanted to move up later on. With three boxes you could do a 2/2/1 setup on clients between your three computers.

I would use 3 PCs.....Also, HotKeyNet works flawlessly in this scenario

I currently run main on a dual-core 2.8, 1 toon on a pentium 4 laptop, 1 toon on a dual-core 2.4 and 2 toons on a quad 6600 (whatever that ghz that is) Could probably optimise this....but It works fine and Hotkeynet is free at the moment and will never charge extra to run over multpile machines
    HotKeyNet and Kavoom User and loving it

I use two boxes. I run 4 toons on the secondary machine which is a little Shuttle machine with an E2180 CPU @ 2.8GHz, 2GB of RAM, and a 512MB 8800GT. I'm getting 40 to 60 fps on this machine with 4 running at the same time, so no complaints. The main box is just OP for WoW, so I won't bother mentioning the specs. I use Multiplicity to move the mouse and keyboard action to the other machine, and I wrote my own keyclone-like program to send keystrokes to the other system while playing.

I'm thinking with a little effort I could hook my wife's computer up to the second monitor on my main machine and run 3 boxes, but I'm pretty happy with what I have.
    Horde: 80 Hunter | 70 Pally | 2x70 Shamans | 70 Resto Druid
    Alliance: 80 DK