Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Default Computer specs for 5?

Hi all

The version that classic wow will run, what kind of computer spec would be a minimum for running a five man team? I haven't played wow since wotlk and I'm really outdated on pc hardware specs and requirements.

I don't have to have every window at max detail.
    Cheers

A thread on reddit about how good computer is needed to run classic.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/...benchmark_the/

Classic doesn't seem to require much.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloxy View Post
    Hi all

The version that classic wow will run, what kind of computer spec would be a minimum for running a five man team? I haven't played wow since wotlk and I'm really outdated on pc hardware specs and requirements.

I don't have to have every window at max detail.
    Cheers
    I've asked this in the past and always got a little flamed hehe - I know why, it's so difficult to determin.

The worse component is always the bottle neck.. GFX card can be amazing but your CPU might let you down.

When I box 10x in a built up area my CPU runs at 80-90% but my GFX card barley hits 40%.

My personal experience, CPU has been the bottleneck. Followed by cooling the system (my components are capable of doing better but as a Laptop simply can't push the heat away quick enough).

I suppose the counter question is what spec is your current PC?

CPU
    RAM
    GPU
    Storage

What res monitor do you run?

Per usual with any game that has dozens and dozens of individual assets running around to track the work on the CPU escalates. However once the CPU is dealing with a reasonable number of assets the GPU pipeline begins processing more work raising its own bandwidth utilization.

Normally running one instance of a game you'd need a serious number of assets on screen to slow your modern CPU. Like a capital city raid or a deathball of 80+ toons phasing into sight. Multiboxing however puts us in the divisible circumstance where the CPU is no longer 100% effective.

Of course every machine in existence today has an upper limit on what it will handle with WoW. So forget about building one machine that will handle those rare scenarios without a FPS drop.

A better way to look at it is your intent. What will you be doing in the game? Where will your time be spent? Personally I am not in war mode ever in BFA thanks to their follow restrictions and I'm not usually near a capital. I don't raid and when I was playing BFA regularly my focuis was dungeons and transmogs. As a consequence I get by on a 4 core processor. Easily 5 boxing. If I go to 10 though I can see the FPS drop creeping up. Yes, even running old raids. Capital cities are a forget about it circumstance.

I'll probably upgrade soon if I want to expand my interests with WoW. An aside I was fence sitting because the Valve Index released lately and I was on the first preorders but I ended up hating the experience so now I'm back on WoW. I don't really need to upgrade though if I am only 5 boxing.

TL;DR: any hardware from the last 5 years will do for 5 boxing.