Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 21

Default Sooo. Do any of you guys actually like EQ 2's graphics and art style?

I tried out the 14 day trial this past weekend and I have to say, even on max settings I can't stand the looks of this game artistically. The newbie zones (all of them) seemed so bland, boring, and lack personality, detail and immersion. I couldn't even find myself caring about what might be around the next bend in those zones. ?(

Are the newbie zones just boring and the rest of the game's zones better? Is it just a personal taste and art flavor issue I have? It's a shame since I was hoping the game would be one I would enjoy playing once in awhile when taking breaks from WoW. ;(
    Hyjal (Horde) Guild: Shock n Awe

EQ2 is an old game based on old technology and graphics engines - WoW is specifically designed to utilise the latest and greatest - so of course the graphics of EQ2 is going to be less than WoW

The devs have tried to address the graphics issue over multiple GUs and I think you will find that as each expac is released, the graphics 'should' and does improve

Will they ever be on par or surpass WoW? No - totally different graphics engine and seriously - why be another WoW clone?

In 10 years time when we're all playing EQ4 and WoW2 - with our 10000gig graphics cards and multiplexmultiple cores - we'll all be sitting around scratching our heads larfing at how crappy the graphics of the current WoW are...

EQ2 came out a weeks one way or the other of WOW, they are both Gen3 MMOS... EQ2's graphics are awsome, but the trial client is low res.
    Realm: Vek'nilash Faction: Alliance

[mysql][/mysql]
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Binaryzero',index.php?page=Thread&postID=210907#p ost210907
    EQ2 came out a weeks one way or the other of WOW, they are both Gen3 MMOS... EQ2's graphics are awsome, but the trial client is low res.
    hmm, if that is the case, they should disable the highest settings in the options so it is clear it isn't using the best textures, etc. in the trial or provide the high res version as an alternate download. It gives prospective buyers a bad impression of their game to limit it to the low res version of the client. Can any of you guys post a link to some high res screenshots or post links to some of your favorites you've taken so I can see what the high res looks like? thanks.
    Hyjal (Horde) Guild: Shock n Awe

EQ2 graphics are light years ahead of WoW and quite frankly only the latest release MMO's can compete with EQ2 graphically. When EQ2 first came out the graphics were so good no machine at the time could come close to running it at full detail. It was designed to be future proof.

I have no idea if the trial has lower graphics than the main game but I would certainly think that is the case if you thought EQ2 graphics were unimpressive!

Default RE: Sooo. Do any of you guys actually like EQ 2's graphics and art style?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Slayde',index.php?page=Thread&postID=210891#post2 10891
    I tried out the 14 day trial this past weekend and I have to say, even on max settings I can't stand the looks of this game artistically. The newbie zones (all of them) seemed so bland, boring, and lack personality, detail and immersion. I couldn't even find myself caring about what might be around the next bend in those zones. ?(

Are the newbie zones just boring and the rest of the game's zones better? Is it just a personal taste and art flavor issue I have? It's a shame since I was hoping the game would be one I would enjoy playing once in awhile when taking breaks from WoW. ;(
    I'm not sure about the low-res trial thing, but I played WoW since beta and played EQ2 when it first came out.

My machine at the time would hardly run EQ2 at even the lowest settings.

But I'm wondering if you are also speaking of the artistic style of the games?

To me, WoW has always seemd very cartoony, and this is a big hit for some people. EQ2 Attempts to look a bit more realistic.

And don't get me started on spell effects.. EQ2 blows WoW right out of the water. BUT, all that depends on the machine you are running it on too.
    Everquest II - <Pain for Glory> on Nektulos Server
    (Shadowknight: Uhmono| Inquisitor: Blyssia | Warden: Wysh | Defiler: Gahealju | Troubador: Moxia | Warlock: Phyrloc) X 51
    (Guardian: Tukilu | Templar: Ajechu | Warden: Fayanna | Conjuror: Akaesia | Troubador: Lollah | Warlock: Onona) X 27-ish[/align]

EQ seems to have "better" graphics for the most part...but I never found them to be very engaging.

After playing WoW for so long, I find it very difficult playing other games. It's not that the graphics are worse - they are just so different!
    I try not to compare them. I find WoW to be sort of "cartoony" where as other games try for more realism - like AoC.

ioho

Ioho summed it up. I can agree to a point with what everyone said, because these are just opinions. I have to admit that I was turned off to EQ2 from every single screenshot I saw for years.
    The characters all look like grey aliens in rubber man-suits. Damn Erudites are up to somethin'...
    But as a multi-boxer you know that graphics are just things that tax your system! I play on lowest settings because I use a single computer anyway.
    When I want to see pretty things I go to deviantart. WTB stick-figure mod for every MMO

I know the graphics tax my system..but that doesn't stop me from cranking them almost all the way up on my main.

My new system handle's it pretty nicely. :thumbsup:

Plus, after playing with the lag in WoW (on my old crappy computers) getting hit with a drop to 15ish FPS doesn't even phase me. :P
    Everquest II - <Pain for Glory> on Nektulos Server
    (Shadowknight: Uhmono| Inquisitor: Blyssia | Warden: Wysh | Defiler: Gahealju | Troubador: Moxia | Warlock: Phyrloc) X 51
    (Guardian: Tukilu | Templar: Ajechu | Warden: Fayanna | Conjuror: Akaesia | Troubador: Lollah | Warlock: Onona) X 27-ish[/align]