Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default wow with dual core help?

So I run a dell xps m1730 with a dual core x9000 cpu oc to 3.4ghz now how should I set up the 5 accounts to cpu affinity? should I run wow 1 and 2 on 1 core and 3,4,5 on the 2nd?

thanks.

Wow-Forums

Check out this link Below is a copy paste of what u need to look for, but its kinda screwed up here

If you have more than 2 cores (physical processors, physical cores, or logical HT "cores"), you can change a setting in config.wtf to specify which cores WoW will schedule certain threads on.

Find the line in config.wtf that says:

SET processAffinityMask = "3"

and change it to:

SET processAffinityMask = "15"

A setting of 3 is the binary mask for cores 1 and 2; a setting of 15 is the binary mask for cores 1, 2, 3, and 4.

????????????????????????????????????????????

? Mask ? Core 1 ? Core 2 ? Core 3 ? Core 4 ?

? 1 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 2 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 3 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 4 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 5 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 6 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 7 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 8 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 9 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 10 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 11 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 12 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 13 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 14 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

? 15 ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?

Also you can just use Keyclone and i believe also Octopus to set CPU affinity, but i am not 100% sure about the last one
    SingleHelix, DoubleHelix, TrippleHelix, QuadHelix, Sandaleth(70) (4x Shaman 1 x Paladin)
    Current level : 70

Currently on hold : Sandalith(40), Sandaloth(40), Sandaluth(70), Sandalath(40)
    http://lorune.blogspot.com/

I know how ot set up affinity, my question is what is the best way to allocate those 5 wow's if I only have 2 cores to work with......

I.E wow 1 and 2 set to core 1
    and wow 3,4,5 set to core 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 'ahnubis',index.php?page=Thread&postID=96858#post9 6858
    I know how ot set up affinity, my question is what is the best way to allocate those 5 wow's if I only have 2 cores to work with......

I.E wow 1 and 2 set to core 1
    and wow 3,4,5 set to core 2.
    That may be your best bet. All you can do is fire it up and log the cpu utilization to see if you are maxing out. I took the pig route with a slower quad core to run all five. Hopefully some one with a dual core will chime in with their affinities.

Also, addon overhead will greatly effect your clones and cpu load (which you already know). So running a minimum amount of addons (on the clones) will help greatly if you need to push the second core a little bit more.
    Guilds: Spirit of St Louis/Saint Louis
    US- Trollbane/Zuljin Horde and Alliance

The only thing I run on the clones is QH with /QH hide to lower mem usage..... and only one of them uses the auctioneer addon. it seems to run a bit smoother but I still get a few hangups here and there.

I am currently running my main and one alt on the first core, and the other 3 on the second core. I dont have too many issues except when im in a city (terrible jumpy lag). Although i've been thinking about trying it out so that my main (which i run alot of mods on since im a mod whore) is one one core and the other 4 are on the other core.

On a side note, i have 2 hard drives as well. I've been running the instances of WoW on the HD's the same way im doing the cpu's and i've been wondering if i should switch that as well. Having my main on the first drive and the other 4 on the second drive. Anyone w/ any thoughts on whether that would make any difference?

I'm not really sure how much that would help if at all really. And i know the mods make a difference but its hard to get rid of mods that you're so used to having.

I guess you could also save a camera position looking straight down for entering cities. The you can mouse look on a clone if you need to hit the banker, guild bank, vendor etc...

That should help with frame rate and disk access on the clones. I just might try this myself tonight. Save 2 camera views, one straight down and the other a normal look (behind and up a little). I have an xkeys pro and an xkeys stick for the extra button goodness. With crusader aura and epic land mounts I frequently lose a clone in shat .
    Guilds: Spirit of St Louis/Saint Louis
    US- Trollbane/Zuljin Horde and Alliance

dont set the afinity. when you run dual core. let the cpu sort it out itself. it does a much better job at it than any human ever can
    we are dyslexia of borg, fusistance is retile, youre ass will be laminated

BBJ has a point, but to be honest, since WoW isnt demanding at ALL in terms of today's available computing power, any setup will be fine (that follows logic, ie. not all 5 instances on one core) and if worst comes to worst, just try different setups out!