Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default Warlocks and a Priest, Macros

First, thanks to the community, the Wiki, Zzyzxx71 and Cogwheel.

Since it is Maintenance Day (Patch Day too Woohoo!!) and I am home sick from work - don't ask. I figured it was time to rewrite my macros. Since I haven't seen a ton of lock/priest specific stuff I figured I would document the process. This is a work in progress. Since I can't log in I can't test them right now. I will update this once I get to testing.

I am playing a Shadow Priest and 2 Warlocks currently. I'll be picking up a 3rd lock in a couple of levels from my daughter's account (yes my name, yes my minor child) I already have a 70 Pally played as prot that I will split off to a new account at one point for a 5th account. I will use her to boost the dudes at some point and instance tank through the outlands. I want to play the dudes more before boosting so I can get better at boxing in general and dealing with my dudes specifically.

I decided to go with the "no-focus" method, thanks for the Manifesto Zzyzxx71. I plan to use focus for seduce or fear, though I am still working on how to deal with targeting on "adds" in both PvE and PvP. When I have time to set up, using focus will work for what I want.

I use the two box toolkit Addon so I don't really need to /follow from
    my big button, it also handles auto accept invites etc. I got the link
    from here a long time ago, not sure if it died or what but I
    like it.

This is where I am at currently with my macros set.

My Current Macro Set (pending testing)
    Big Button
    Code:
    /target [target=Kuolemaa, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemab, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemac, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Jonika, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemaa, exists]
    /follow
    Casting Macro. I am a huge fan of the "Dot and run" method of killing crap. I solo'd a lock to 70 (other faction now abandoned) doing this and that is the general leveling plan for this team.

Button #1 - DoTs
    Warlocks
    Code:
    /castsequence [target=targettarget, harm] [] reset=combat/target Curse of Agony, Corruption
    Priest
    Code:
    /castsequence reset=combat/target Shadow Word: Pain ,
    The Priest is the brain so he chooses targets. They are also (as of the writing) only level 20. The way these are structured leaves room for growth as they learn new spells. This will, barring resists,
    put 7 (9 when I pick up lock #3) dots on a mob. It will die as it chases me around to the next mob I do this to, and the next and the next ...

Button #2 - Bigger DoTs
    Warlocks
    Code:
    /castsequence [target=targettarget, harm] [] reset=15/combat/target Immolate, Curse of Agony, Corruption, !Shoot
    Priest
    Code:
    /castsequence reset=18/combat/target Holy Fire, Shadow Word: Pain , , !Shoot
    This is for when I have a single mob I need dead - an elite or named mob for example. It limits my mobility (not moving = getting hit more), making it less usefull for DoT and run, even without the Shoot at the end. It will also reset on the timers to reapply the DoTs if the bob is still up and allows flexibility if I get adds and need to hit them.

Button #3 - Draining
    Warlocks
    Code:
    /castsequence [target=targettarget, harm] [nochanneling:Drain Life] [] reset=15/combat/target Immolate, Curse of Agony, Corruption, Drain Life, Drain Life, Drain Life
    Priest
    Code:
    /castsequence [nochanneling:Mind Flay] reset=18/combat/target Holy Fire, Shadow Word: Pain , Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Flay
    This just looks cool to do, it does kill fast as well but, is more mana intensive then "Bigger DoTs" and is slower overall killing then "DoTs". I also need to be aware of range for Mind Flay since it has a shorter range. I'll combine this with my spread out Macro for a nifty light show. It might be more feasible to use on larger mobs if I put points in Soul Siphon (2% damage per affliction spell) with 3 locks with 3 spells each for 9 and 18% (4 and 12 for 24% when I get Unstable Affliction) additional damage from Drain Life. I will have to investigate that more when I get to it.

Button #4 - Blasting
    Warlocks
    Code:
    /cast [target=targettarget, harm] [] ShadowBolt
    Priest
    Code:
    /castsequence reset=8/combat/target Mind Blast, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite
    I am not particularly happy with this one. I don't think the priest will scale well. I'll need to drop a Smite when I get improved Mind Blast. Most likely, on a single, normal target, it is dead before I get to smite. I'll have to see how it plays out.

Current Healing Macro
    Code:
    #showtooltip Heal
    /cast [modifier:ctrl, help] [modifier:ctrl, target=targettarget, help] Power Word: Shield; [modifier:alt, help] [modifier:alt, target=targettarget, help] Heal;[help] [target=targettarget] Renew
    This will, based on modifier, Heal, Shield or Renew the Current Target's Target, the guy the mob is beating on. Currently this has been all the healing I have needed in combat. Out of combat I just click heal for manually selected targets.

New macro for My Pet Attack
    Code:
    /assist target
    /petattack
    /target [target=Kuolemaa, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemaa, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemaa, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Jonika, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemaa, exists]
    Space is an issue in this
    macro,I would have liked to use the "Big Button" logic for the assist but I ran out of room, so you assume your Brain is targeted hence the
    /assist target

Next is your /petattack, this could be any pet command

Last I do the full "big button" target on the off chance you brain has died while you are clicking this button. You could also do a /targetlasttarget here.

Current Stopping point. This will give me enough to test this afternoon. Again, I am pretty new at this, so if anyone has comments and or suggestions please feel free to post them.

Oh one question, this is my first time really taking advantage of /castsequence, are there any recommendations for for a #show or #showtooltip? Use it by itself, so it changes, or keep a specific spell?

you might want to make a Lifetap macro... kinda harder on 4 toons for the priest to heal then all but something like

warlock

/cast Lifetap

priest

/target Warlock
    /cast Renew

i only have 1 warlock in my group so this macro is easy to use and great in a longer fight. You will just have to work it out so that you can do it sequentially i suppose

For Lifetap, right now, I just have a key bound only to the locks. They are also so low, and it returns so little mana, that I don't bother to use it in combat.

Later on, I will need to do something like that. I wonder if I can change targets in a castsequence? I don't think that is allowed. I will have to test it out at some point. If it is the priest's macro would look like

/castsequence target locka renew, target lockb renew, target lockc renew

If that doesn't work, perhaps using /click will. Make a renew macro for each toon placed on the action bar. Then do

Code:
    /click [button:1] MultiBarLeftButton2; MultiBarLeftButton3; MultiBarLeftButton4
    In theory would work, based on Cogwheel's sticky Macro FAQ (post #15) on the WoW forums. Either way, it needs some testing.

Thanks for the idea!

Yea! WoW is back, time to test!.

Well everything is working as planned except for the" Drain Macros", It has to deal with being channeled spells. Cogwheel has some stuff on how not to interrupt that but it is not completely straight forward (to me at least) so more reading and testing for now.

EDIT This was fixed with
    [nochanneling,Drain Life] & [nochanneling,Mind Flay] fixed in main post

Added a usable pet attack macro, also in main post now too.

Code:
    /assist target

/petattack

/target [target=Kuolemaa, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemaa,
    nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemaa, nodead, help, exists];
    [target=Jonika, nodead, help, exists]; [target=Kuolemaa, exists]
    Space is an issue in this
    macro,I would have liked to use the "Big Button" logic for the assist
    but I ran out of room, so you assume your Brain is targeted hence the
    /assist target

Next is your /petattack, this could be any pet command

Last I do the full "big button" target on the off chance you brain has
    died while you are clicking this button. You could also do a
    /targetlasttarget here.

Awesome, keep logging those things. It's really inspiring. I had a lot of headaches on my Lock, Priest and Mage macros... I wish I had something like this to copy :P
    Apologies on typos, english is not my native language.
    1--------10---------20---------30---------40---------50---------60---------70
    2 Undead Warlocks - Frontal & Frantol - Warsong-US
    1--------10---------20---------30---------40---------50---------60---------70
    2 Troll Hunters - Tryptanol & Tryptamol - Warsong-US

Default Why not use Focus instead of Target?

I don't understand why you are using /assist target and /target and NOT using /assist focus ? Seems to me to be a bit more flexible.

My examples--

"Big Dots"
    /assist focus
    /stopmacro [noharm]
    /castsequence reset=15/combat/target Immolate, Curse of Agony, Corruption

"Dots"
    /assist focus
    /stopmacro [noharm]
    /castsequence reset=combat/target Curse of Agony, Corruption

"Shadow Bolt"
    /assist focus
    /cast Shadow Bolt

"Set Focus"
    /focus [target=party1,nodead][target=party2,nodead][target=party3,nodead][target=party4,nodead][target=party5,exists][target=player]
    /target focus

"Follow"
    /follow focus

Default RE: Why not use Focus instead of Target?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Diego',index.php?page=Thread&postID=89342#post893 42
    I don't understand why you are using /assist target and /target and NOT using /assist focus ? Seems to me to be a bit more flexible.

My examples--

"Big Dots"
    /assist focus
    /stopmacro [noharm]
    /castsequence reset=15/combat/target Immolate, Curse of Agony, Corruption

"Dots"
    /assist focus
    /stopmacro [noharm]
    /castsequence reset=combat/target Curse of Agony, Corruption

"Shadow Bolt"
    /assist focus
    /cast Shadow Bolt

"Set Focus"
    /focus [target=party1,nodead][target=party2,nodead][target=party3,nodead][target=party4,nodead][target=party5,exists][target=player]
    /target focus

"Follow"
    /follow focus
    Because he's using the nofocus setup, if you use target instead of focus it gives you more flexibility for cc - try it, it's mo better. There's a link in the OP. In brief, although focus and target seem very similar you'll find that target is noticibly quicker than focus when switching targets. So - use target for DPS and focus for CC.
    I started out using focus and now use target, I would never go back as it's a bit gimped imo.

Default RE: RE: Why not use Focus instead of Target?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Simulacra',index.php?page=Thread&postID=89751#pos t89751
    Because he's using the nofocus setup, if you use target instead of focus it gives you more flexibility for cc - try it, it's mo better. There's a link in the OP. In brief, although focus and target seem very similar you'll find that target is noticibly quicker than focus when switching targets. So - use target for DPS and focus for CC. I started out using focus and now use target, I would never go back as it's a bit gimped imo.
    Exactly, It is noticeably faster and, for the way I am playing these guys, running around dotting like mad, switching targets quickly is very important.

that was probably too many commas but w/e

Default RE: RE: RE: Why not use Focus instead of Target?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Caspian',index.php?page=Thread&postID=89760#post8 9760
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Simulacra',index.php?page=Thread&postID=89751#pos t89751
    Because he's using the nofocus setup, if you use target instead of focus it gives you more flexibility for cc - try it, it's mo better. There's a link in the OP. In brief, although focus and target seem very similar you'll find that target is noticibly quicker than focus when switching targets. So - use target for DPS and focus for CC. I started out using focus and now use target, I would never go back as it's a bit gimped imo.
    Exactly, It is noticeably faster and, for the way I am playing these guys, running around dotting like mad, switching targets quickly is very important.

that was probably too many commas but w/e
    /agree on my pally I'm hittin a mob, I notice that a caster mob is firing up, I click on the mob, set focus for the mage and as I click back to MY target the mage sheeps the caster mob and continues ot dps MY mob all in the blink of an eye. If I'd used target and focus the other way around there would be a very high danger that the mob would be sheeped and then nuked immediately as focus hadn't switched fast enough back to MY mob.

it astounds me that ppl still use focus for dps >.< - focus dps is so last week lol