Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default So I 3-boxed for a few days...

Then I decided to bite the bullet and go with 5. Playing with 3 shaman was pretty fun, so adding 2 more should be even more fun. Right? Right?!

Running all on one machine (2 cores). Tested with 2 additional trial accounts and play was acceptable. There are some things I can do to the slave clients to increase performance, though. I have the main client running on one core and the others running on the other so I'll probably have to stagger logins on the slaves because the initial load all at the same time can be quite long lol. Also might try core0 - main, slave and core1 - 3x slave and see how that goes.

Have 2GB RAM with 2 more on the way so that should help as well. Also coming is a case fan. Though being quite irrelevant regarding this topic, I noticed today that my case doesn't really have an exhaust fan. At all (though it has 2 vents). 8| My box doesn't have any heat issues (it's even OC'ed quite a bit), it's just one of those things you'll feel better about having. I even built the thing myself and I didn't realize it till today. /facepalm

Anyway, looking forward to doing some insane totem lightshows/chain heal pentagrams! :thumbsup: Not looking forward to gathering quests however. They were bad with 3 and I expect they'll be even worse with 5. :S
    Jaese / Ja�se / J�ese / J�ese / Ja�se <DCLXVI> � 5x Shamans Alliance US Cho'gallPvP
    0[---------10---------20---------30---------40---------50---------60---------70---------]80
    N: 3/3 HR | 1/3 BF ][ H: -- ][/align][/font][/size]

What operating system you using there? If it's only 32-bit, you'll get precious little advantage out of that extra 2gigs of ram.

I used to 5 box on a dual core 3.6ghz with 2 gigs of ram. Capital cities were tough but workable (not playable but workable), Shattrath would have been a bust though.
    ...for when one toon just isn't enough...

Horde Caelestrasz Multiboxer:
    Team1: 5xPaladin....Level 80 - Heroic gearing completed. WTB [Frost Badge] pst pls.
    Team2: 1xPaladin/4xShaman....Level 80 - On Hiatus, Awaiting Cata.

Contact on: Nevergonna on Realm Caelestrasz (Horde)

Caelestrasz Horde: 5 Active 5 Boxers and counting.

Yeah it is 32-bit and I know about the RAM limitations inherent with it. Though if I upgrade the OS I might as well build a new system (I have flawed thinking ).

If it turns out to be really bad, I do have a laptop I can probably off-load 2 slaves to. I want to try with the one machine first, though. 8) See if I can work some magic.
    Jaese / Ja�se / J�ese / J�ese / Ja�se <DCLXVI> � 5x Shamans Alliance US Cho'gallPvP
    0[---------10---------20---------30---------40---------50---------60---------70---------]80
    N: 3/3 HR | 1/3 BF ][ H: -- ][/align][/font][/size]

4 gigs will make a noticeable difference. just dont try using vista with only 4 gigs :P

just dont try using vista with only 4 gigs
    Don't listen to the Vista haters.

My Vista machines (I have both 32 and 64 bit editions) use LESS memory when running the same number of WoWs than the XP equivalents sitting right next to them

I can't imagine why that would be, but it's a fact.

Default 2gb 5 boxing.

Hi from a newbie!

I run 32bit XP(SP3) with 2gb Ram and I find that when running 4 boxes (on the one PC) I'm using just under 2gb of ram after shutting down all un-necessary applications. If I forget to shut them down I'm using around 2.3 - 2.4 GB and so my PC slows down.

Does anyone else find the same? I'm thinking of 5 boxing, and I'm gonna need more memory.

Default RE: 2gb 5 boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Lanzecki',index.php?page=Thread&postID=86435#post 86435
    Hi from a newbie!

I run 32bit XP(SP3) with 2gb Ram and I find that when running 4 boxes (on the one PC) I'm using just under 2gb of ram after shutting down all un-necessary applications. If I forget to shut them down I'm using around 2.3 - 2.4 GB and so my PC slows down.

Does anyone else find the same? I'm thinking of 5 boxing, and I'm gonna need more memory.
    Get 2 more GB of memory. It shouldn't cost you more than $50-80.
    Ex-WoW 5-boxer.
    Currently playing:
    Akama [Empire of Orlando]
    Zandantilus - 85 Shaman, Teebow - 85 Paladin, Kodex - 85 Rogue.

Definitely going to 4-box Diablo 3 after testing the beta for how well this would work.