Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Default Movement keys for main vs's alts and main switching question

Not entirely sure this is the proper forum, and its more of a survey.

So, you have 5 chars, and one 'default' main, but you want to switch mains. theres several ways to do this, fairly well documented. changing who everyones assisting is easy.

the difficulty that I face, (as a vetra user, anyway) is that i have one set of movement keys for my 'main' and one set for my 'alts'. So, if my main goes down, i can refocus on another alt, np, and everyone assist the same person, but i have no way of targeting/moving just that character, without KVMing to him, but if i KM over, I cant control the rest of the chars.

I thought maybe setbinding would be a nice way around this...change the movement bindings on main swtch for that char, so wsad moves him, but it doesnt function in combat... bummer, since 90% of the 'main' switches would occur in combat. hehe.

an obvious thing would be to have a set of movement keys for each toon...tahts alot of keys bound tho. maybe bind movement keys for 3 toons, and if you only have 2 left alive, well, your going down, haha. its time to run away and pray.

if you had an elaborate enough system to be broadcasting on one device while singly controlling a char on another, that would work as well. (eg, have one KB plugged into the multiplier while another keyboard plugs into the KM). This loses some flexibility though. (I'd actually like to keep as many controls on the keyboard proper as possible. )

for various software multiboxing control schemes, it seems like there are a variety of solutions that i found, but i'd prefer to stick with my vetra. (Personal preference, really).

I havent solved this to my satisfaction yet...so...anyone have any thoughts? how do you guys handle this situation? That is, if your willing to share=p. Actually, i'd be happy with just a hint, LOL.

Just wondering what peoples solutions to this are, really. theres a lot of posts about switching focus/leader, but I cant find places where those people discuss how they move /target in conjunction with leader switching. maybe I didn't look hard enough, hehe, feel free to flame me if thats the case. Otherwise, it'd be nice just to hear peoples input on how they do it.=0

Ishar

It doesn't help you at all, but the advantage that the keyclone users have is the Do Not Pass list.

All toons have the same movement keys bound but they are set in the DNP so that only the focused windows receives them.
    [align=center]AeineiA AeineiB AeneiC AenieD AeineiX
    All your soul are belong to us
    "They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead"
    The Wiki is your Friend
    [/align]

Not sure if this is really the answer you where looking for, but it will atleast probably work:

Myself I relearned completly "how to play" some time ago. I bought a mouse with a lot of button (logitech Revolution beeing the best atm I think)

Then I bound every movement key to this mouse and didnt use keyboard at all for movement.

With my mouse I can now currently do the following:

Thumb-button for autorun
    Thumb-button for move backwards
    Both mousebuttons for walking forward (standard wow fuction)
    Thumb scroll for turning every followers right or left
    Thumb scroll button for making all follow main
    Top button for team speak.
    Mouse scroll for "tab" targeting.
    Mouse scroll sideways for strafing left and right.

Allthough this takes some getting used to, I am now very pleased that I did relearn my controls. My entire lefthand is now free for using only spells.

Do you run all of your accounts from 1 computer?? If you do, keyclone is a great solution for you.

Asside from keyclone just cloning keys it also has a function called Maximizer. Using Maximizer you can setup the Picture in Picture (PiP) function.

First of all my screen resolution is 1920x1200
    Using maximizer i setup 5 screens to be displayed.. 1 at 1600x1200 and then 4 at 320x240. looks something like http://www.solidice.com/keyclone/maximizer_01.jpg
    here's how I learned http://www.solidice.com/keyclone/commands.html

Once you set that up, you then set keys to change which character you are controlling in that Large Screen.

So on my setup when I push my uparrow i am controlling hellzchildw on the large screen and then in the game i have a macro that tells every character to FOCUS hellzchildw.
    When i push my downarrow, my large screen changes to hellzchildy and then in the game i have a macro that tells every character to focus hellzchildy

OK so now.. what are the marcros??
    Now this is hard to explain on paper but i'll try.
    We already setup maximizer so that when I push my uparrow hellzchildx is the toon that i control on my large screen.
    Now, in the game hellzchildx uparrow is set to this macro

/focus hellzchildx
    /target focus
    /follow
    /assist focus
    /changeactionbar 1

Now, ALL of the other toons uparrow key is bound to this macro

/focus hellzchildx
    /target focus
    /follow
    /assist focus
    /changeactionbar 4

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE /changeactionbar .
    Actionbar 1 of every character has their spells pulled straight from their spellbook, 1=lightning bolt 2=chain lightning 3=earth shock ..
    Actionbar 4 of every character has their spells pulled from my macros list, so 1=MACRO(/assist focus /cast lighning bolt) 2=macro (/assist focus /cast chain lightning) 3=macro (/assist focus /cast earth shock)

hope it helps, if you need more in depth explanation let me know

Yeah, the do not pass list is a very nice feature of software multicasters...when coupled with an ability to multicast from any character anyway. (EG, send everything to this comp, and pass just these particular keys to the other machines.). A small part of me wishes (is tempted) to switch to a software solution. Though it'd be really nice to keep using my Vetra Multicaster. *grin*

@Cepheus

I underutilize the mouse in wow, (pretty much only for clicking dialogs like flypoints). I should probably rectify this hehe. (I use synergy for mouse sharing, and should really switch to something that doesn't have the 'crazy mouse look at random' bug....I don't use the mouse much so i've been very lazy about replacing it. hehehe).

It would be cool...I take it that is a USB mouse...Without knowing more about your setup, do you mouse share with other instances, (eg, something like synergy where you can switch your cursor to another machine or instance then back) and if so what do you use? With synergy, anyway, when i mouse over to another 'machine' both the main window and the selected machine stop accepting keyboard input from the vetra multicaster (a non issue for the main, who is generally dead or afk at an inn at this point, something of an issue for the guy thats selected though) . I always assumed this was a case of synergy redirecting the input of the server computer to the one you just mouse overed to, and ignoring all other input. Wonder if theres a program that doesn't do that, or if its some other issue... After reading your reply I am tempted to try connecting my nostromo to my main comp and using it to send keyboard input to the newly selected instance while broadcasting to everyone else...it has potential. Maybe i'll try that.

More generally, although I didnt say this explicitly, but i was generally curious about peoples movement-control schemes. (on the off chance that one appeals to me more than the WSAD for main and Up down left right for clones one) hehe. And welcome any "I do it this way" replies even if they are completely useless to me. One wonderful thing about this forum is reading things like that and going huh.

@ Hellzchildren I have 5 computers and a vetra KM. I could buy 5 copies of keyclone, but my 800 or so dollars worth of Vetra equipment makes that a hard decision to make hahaha. Never used keyclone or maximizer, but that more or less makes sense. Huh, having the action bar change on focus change had not occurred to me though. Probably because I didnt realize you could do that in a macro. Makes sense to do, once I work out a movement scheme that I like.

Ishar