Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Default Synergy and Multibox!

Hello there.

Tried to starty Mutliboxing today with my PC and Laptop, however ran into some problems.

The laptop is running Vista, and PC XP.

Downloaded Synergy for both. Loaded Synergy.exe (as nothing else would load), and from there i am stuck. I can type in my PC name (got it all right dont worry) and then it crashes.

So i tried Multibox.

Run the Client on my PC, server on my laptop.

Get the PC to connect, but then either the PC crashed, or ther multibox on my laptop just crashed and stopped responding.

And majority of the time the PC just lost the connection all together.

And even when i did have it connected with no problems, i didnt know what to do next.

Can anyone give me a hand? Dunno what im doing.

Firewalls are disabled on both PC's, except the Router firewall, which i dont really want to disable. Are there any ports that need enabling.

Can you post up the crash messages? It might give us a better insight into whats going on.
    Wilbur

No crash message.

Just stops responding.

Is this a Vista problem?

Entirely possible.

Try this - Right Click on all the exe's you are trying to run for Multiboxing & Synergy. Click Properties. Click compatibility. "Run this Program in Compatibility mode for XP SP2"

Give that a whirl, see if it works.
    Wilbur

Sounds like it might be the problem I had with mulitbox. Otlecs came up with the solution you need to add entries into your hosts files for your machines. After I did that multibox works perfectly.

Ok, i gave up with Multibox in the end (thankyou bery much for the suggestions though), and used

http://lifehacker.com/software//hack...synergy-client

to set up Synergy.

At the moment its all fine. Configured everything server wise, and its going fine.

However, when i go to connect with the client (by pressing start) i get this message.

WARNING: failed to connect to server: The attempt to connect was forcefully rejected

I run synergy by loading everything up, pressing start on the server, and then on the client. And i get this.

Any ideas?

And a second problem. People are speaking about broadcasting keys e.t.c using this. On my interface for synergy, i cannot see any sort of binding for broadcasting keys. And i have downloaded the special key broadcasting one, and running the "Synergy.exe".

There is a "SynergyC.exe" and a "SynergyS.exe" which i presume stand for Client and Server.

However, when i go to run theese it will not let me.

However, if i go to run them when the normal Synergy.exe is running, they open as an icon on the bottom right, but with a red sotp sign in front of them.

And when i right click them, there are very few options, none of which look useful in anyway.

Sorry for being a pain, seems to be very little in guides to setting theese up effectively.

Will definately plan to create a Step-By-Step picture guide once im up and running

Thanks again, and i avidly wait your replys!

Could anyone direct me to the place where i can find "Otlecs fix" for Mutlibox please?

Having tonnes of problems with Synergy now.

Cut and paste from otlecs post....

Hi,

The problem I had seemed to revolve around Windows resolving host names to IP addresses.

In my case, it seemed to disappear up its own backside for up to 30 seconds or so when trying to perform a reverse DNS lookup to determine whether the connecting client was local or remote.

The hosts file is a "short cut" for Windows to look up an ip address without going through the normal system services.

The file usually lives in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Modifying it is quite technical, and if you're uncertain after this reply then I suggest you don't do it and try to find another solution.

In brief, though, the steps are as follows:

1. Open the file on every machine in your network (notepad will do).
    2. In each file, add an entry for every machine. The format is:

{ip address}<TAB>name

For example:
    192.168.1.100 MyMachine1
    192.168.1.101 MyMachine2

etc.

Obviously, this relies on static IP addresses on the LAN (or at least the same DHCP-assigned ones every time you start up!).

That's pretty much it. Good luck.
    ----------

Doesnt seemed to of worked. now it wont even connect, just gives a "connection lost: Next attempt in..." instead of saying it had connected for a short time.

Any one else got any ideas for this or Synergy?

my problems now with Synergy is that when i click test, it just sits there for 20 minutes not doing anything, and when i go to close, its clearly crashed...

Anything im doing horrifically wrong to cause all this hassle?