Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default 2 screens on Radeon gpu, can it be done?

Hi,
    I started dual-boxing 2 days ago.
    I have a Ati Radeon X1950pro in main system (->22" screen) and an X800pro on my secondairy (->19" screen) .

Can I add another screen to either of these systems (for 3-boxing WOW using MultiBox) ?

I believe i read somewhere only nVidea and Matrox cards have "true" duall-gpu heads and that Ati only clones or stretches over multiple screens.

Can it be done?
    /thanks

Try it by sticking both monitors onto one PC, assuming the cards have dual head output you'll quickly see if dual head works or not.

X1800XT

I have a 24" for gaming/media, 17" for IRC/MSN/Second box.

Works fine.

Tried it out on main system and indeed, it works.
    But only if both copies of the game run in windowed mode.
    As soon as one goes to full-screen mode its impossible to switch over to the other without going to desktop first.
    There's also quite a serious performance hit (as allready been mentionned in one of the stickies). FPS drops to 12-20 on main screen.

Guess the best way is to keep main toon by itself on 22", and run the 2 others on the secondairy system in windowed mode.
    But then again MultiBoxing won't work since only 1 window will be active at a time.

On nVidia, can you run 2 copies of wow on 2 screens both "active" at the same time?
    If so I might consider upgrading to a GeForce 8800GTS 320MB.
    They've dropped down nicely in price

Not on any of my Nvidias no, and once again performance hit. Only way I know of doing it (and this was when you has to use a PCI for 2nd head so info is way old) was to have 2nd card in 2nd slot. Now, no idea.

As has been posted in another thread if you span your desktop and use maximiser to resize / relocate the 2nd / 3rd instance of WOW then you will not get the 2nd screen performance hit.

I was getting 80%+ CPU utilisation off my second instance before spanning the desktop... now it is less that 40%

Quote Originally Posted by Djarid
    As has been posted in another thread if you span your desktop and use maximiser to resize / relocate the 2nd / 3rd instance of WOW then you will not get the 2nd screen performance hit.

I was getting 80%+ CPU utilisation off my second instance before spanning the desktop... now it is less that 40%
    I had 100% usage of duo core cpu by 2 clients with minimal graphic settings on both and like 10 fps. After setting up horizontal span I run 5 clients, one of them is on max settings. All maximized, it lags only in big crowded cities, otherwise 50 fps on each.
    Coffee Resurrects.