Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default Vista 64 crashing randomly

has anyone had any trouble with vista 64 just randomly crashing in wow? somtimes 30 seconds in, somtimes 20 minutes in for seemingly no reason? I am running wow in winxp SP2 mode.

im running,
    intel quad core 2.4
    6 gigs of 800 mhz ram
    Nvidia geforce 8500 GT

6G of 800MHz RAM?!?!
    quad core?!?!?!

nice... that's one helluva beast you've got there

if you are multi-instancing, make sure you don't have sound on in the background and no hardware acceleration.

(i doubt it could be the video driver... but you are running vista in emulation mode...)

may help.. may not.. just my USD$0.02 worth.

yeah I built this bad boy thinking I could potentially 5 box on it alone iv even got 3 PCIE 16x geforce 8600's on order so i can run 6 displays on it. I did manage to get all 5 accounts open in shat at 22-27 FPS (all windows viewed with 60 megs in mods loaded each) and some pretty high graphics settings. i loaded up keyclone and got them to jump in perfect sync and move around a bit, but it BOSD soon after.

All that said the issue isnt just with multi-instancing. I have set everything back to default and ran around like that on 1 toon and am getting the random crashes / BSOD's

It would have to be xp 64 bit, but I think I have figured the problem out. I removed the two 1 gig chips and I have now played wow for 2 hours no crashing!! whoowhoo, I even got it to play secondlife for an hour without crashing; which, has major known issues with vista at the moment. So I think im pretty well ready to go, the question at this point is if the chips or ram slots are bad or if there is just some funky issue with mixing the ram in this board.

I use Vista 64 and have never crashed outside of some initial sound card driver issues. While I do not run more then one WOW instance on my pc at a time I frequently play WOW and LOTRO at the same time with one being displayed on its own monitor.

Core 2 Duo 6700
    4gig ram -Crucial Balistix
    Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 drives x two in a stripe.
    BFG 768meg 8800GTX OC2 Edition
    Creative Xifi Pro Gamer Fatal1ty Edition

Quote Originally Posted by samhaine
    It would have to be xp 64 bit, but I think I have figured the problem out. I removed the two 1 gig chips and I have now played wow for 2 hours no crashing!! whoowhoo, I even got it to play secondlife for an hour without crashing; which, has major known issues with vista at the moment. So I think im pretty well ready to go, the question at this point is if the chips or ram slots are bad or if there is just some funky issue with mixing the ram in this board.
    Usually, you want to avoid mixing RAM on most new boards. Also, make sure they all have the same speed and timings.
    That's what I'm here for; sage, yet disturbing advice.