Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: City lag

Default City lag

Would you attribute Hard drive reading / writting, Processor speed, RAM or Internet connection to be the main factor in the lag you encounter in larger citys? I assume it could be a collection of all of those things, but is there one that's more crucial than the others? I'm fine outside of the cities and in instances, and during non peek hours it's certainly not as bad but it happens

Q6600, 4 gigs of ram, 3 hdds, 5Mbs dsl connection

How do you load your WoW's? Do you spread them out on the 3 hard drives? Try making 1 WoW folder on your fastest/smallest hard drive, and load all the instances from there. See if it helps.
    5 Shamans - lvl 70
    Xxearth, Xxfire, Xxwind, Xxwater, Xxheart
    Capnplanet - Bank alt

Toon1 is on HHD1... Toon 2 and 3 share a HDD as does 4 and 5... I really notice this when switching zones or loading an istance, toon 1 loads considerably faster than the other 4... but I didn't know if that was related to the lag I encounter in cities, where toon1 also falls victim to lag and I didn't know if getting 2 more hhd's for less loading screen was worth the power consumtion but anything to fly across Shat and not loose a few toons would be

I've already ran them from a single hard drive and it was murder, the zeplin would be taking off before I was able to get all 5 to load a zone up which is why I broke them up

Like I said, try running from 1 Hard Drive and only 1 Folder of WoW. It seemed to work for me, and i have a Q6600, 4gb, 8800GT
    5 Shamans - lvl 70
    Xxearth, Xxfire, Xxwind, Xxwater, Xxheart
    Capnplanet - Bank alt

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gallo',index.php?page=Thread&postID=52632#post526 32
    nly 1 Folder of WoW. It seemed to work for me, and i have a Q6600, 4gb, 8800G
    No. Spread them out over drives. Worked great for me.
    AKAMA > (The Zerg) > 4x Shamans > FirstRock, SecondRock, ThridRock, FourthRock

we could go really panto here

There is mixed feeling on these forums, I would test it to see how it works for you. I get much better results having the clients load from a single disk PROVIDED that you use junction / mlink to have all 4/5 copies of wow use one physical data directory.

I guess it depends on your disks, my wow disk is SATA 3Gb/s capable and has a 16Mb cache; as each instance requests the same data from the disk in a very narrow time frame the disk is able to supply this information from disk cache. Also as the OS sees the request for the same information it has already provided it can often respond from processor cache. When the information comes from separate disks this is not the case.

If I had multiple disks at my disposal, I would configure them in a nice fast striped set (ensuring regular backup of the data of course) and then run multiple copies of wow of that stripe (again with linked folders for Data etc)
    [align=center]AeineiA AeineiB AeneiC AenieD AeineiX
    All your soul are belong to us
    "They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead"
    The Wiki is your Friend
    [/align]