Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default Power leveling help

I've read many threads on this topic, but I'm compelled to start yet another thread as I have a somewhat newer situation:

I finally bit the bullet and setup 5 computers with 5 accounts in hopes of setting up a raiding 5-man team. My main is actually a 5/8 Tier 6 tanking druid and I also have a T5 raiding priest as my foundation. Unfortunately I only have 4 70s, so I thought that I'd start a new group to get to 70 and experiment with swapping characters in and out of the team.

So, first step is get some more characters to 70. I've setup 4 toons and leveled them to 10 so that I could run them through Deadmines with my 70 mage. Unfortunately, I did 1 full run and found that they only got half a level each. This took many deaths of these level 10s and quite a bit of time. I am certain that I can get this to go faster, but a Deadmines run for 1/2 a level seems like quite a bit of time for not a lot of reward. What am I doing wrong?

Well half a lvl is normal, but if you do DM 4 times in 1 hr its 2 whole levels, thats 4 lvl's every 3 min (countign all caracters).

You just need to practis the pulls and specc full frost! put your alts in a saif spot run threw half the instance and bring all the mobs back to your toons and BOOM!

remember Sehld upp + icelance!

also you only need to kill the mobs aroudn 150 feet away from your toons to get exp so dont get to close and then have them killed off by AoE.

(btw just to make you feel bad lvl 49 to 50 in ZF takes 4 to 5 runns :P)
    Signature edited by Svpernova09

This sounds like your first time "Boosting" a toon through Deadmines or one of your first times at the very least. First off like Skuggo pointed out your toons do not need to be very close at all to receive xp. You can get almost all the way to the first boss before they become out of range to receive xp infact in DM. This will result in much much fewer deaths than say if you have your alts on follow 2nd as Skuggo also pointed out you will get better and better with each run in effiency. You'll pull better, faster, and with fewer deaths the more practice you get. I used my paladin to boost instead of my mage so I'm not use to mage times but my paladin can generally clear, run back, reset, and begin pulling, in 15 mins. on avg. Again however I've had much practice.

Also wouldn't recommend bothering to loot in Deadmines. It takes way too long and its not even close to being good money imho. You can masterloot the blues to your alts if you want but if you're planning on pwrlvling them as far as you can you'll probably not even need to bother gearing them till you hit ZF maybe SM.

Have some patience and you'll be busting out lvls and outta DM in no time.

The seeming normal boosting schedule is as follows...

1-15 questing
    15-20 DM
    20-25 Stocks
    25-40 SM
    40-45 ZF

After that it varies quite a bit some ppl go to ST and then strat, some just quest. I personally stayed in ZF till 50.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Tdog',index.php?page=Thread&postID=51953#post5195 3
    This sounds like your first time "Boosting" a toon through Deadmines or one of your first times at the very least. First off like Skuggo pointed out your toons do not need to be very close at all to receive xp.
    This would be correct.

Their aggro radius is HUGE at level 10, and they won't survive much. You can help mitigate this by finding some white non-binding gear and putting some stamina enchants on it, but it's up to you if you plan on spending the money for this. I say non-binding gear since you'll be able to trade it to other lowbies that are being powerleveled.

As a general rule -- if you ahve your minimap zoom all the way out to max, as long as your lowbies are visible on the minimap, they are getting XP.
    TBC/Wrath Multiboxer: Velath / Velani / Velathi / Velatti / Velavi / Velarie [Archimonde (US-PvP)]

Thanks for the tips!

So I ran it again last night and I'm at about 19 mins/run not counting reset. Some comments/questions:

1. I am finding toon deaths to be VERY frustrating as the run back is so painful. Wow do I hate running them back because some pat walked by. At this point I'm pretty much memorizing
    the pats and am having far fewer deaths. In addition I went and trained by priest to res so I'm saving a lot of time this way. For this reason I think I'm going to switch to Stockades at 15. I did this before with a mage using a druid to run through the whole thing and it was pretty easy, but also mind-numbing.
    2. How are you resetting the instance? Do you run back through to the start or going out the end entrance and running all the way back around? I was thinking afterwards that I might be able to logout for all of them and log back in to get them ported back to the start, but I'm not sure if that would work.

The best powerleveling method I've found so far is to do ragefire/deadmines until 20, then SM Cathedral until 40. I'm still trying to figure out the best place to go after 40. I'm using a 70 prot pallie as my power-leveling toon, which is working awesomely. You can do SM Cath in 2 pulls, getting about 4 runs / level for 4 of the toons. Since you have a mage, if you find a paladin friend to help you out you can do the insane paladin/mage trick described here http://www.edgeofnowhere.cc/viewtopic.php?t=391556. With that trick I helped level a friends rogue from 8 to 27 in 4 hours. We'll probably finish it out to 40 and have under 10 hours / played. After that it gets trickier to find a good instance, but I'm still looking around.
    The Shockalakas: Ubalaka, Akalaka, Jakalaka, Rakalaka, and Wabalaka - Level 70 Troll Shaman team on Gorefiend Horde Side

Quote Originally Posted by 'Vyndree',index.php?page=Thread&postID=51960#post5 1960
    As a general rule -- if you ahve your minimap zoom all the way out to max, as long as your lowbies are visible on the minimap, they are getting
    Thats a GREAT tip. I've always wondered about the exact limitations.
    5 Shamans - lvl 70
    Xxearth, Xxfire, Xxwind, Xxwater, Xxheart
    Capnplanet - Bank alt

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gallo',index.php?page=Thread&postID=52188#post521 88
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Vyndree',index.php?page=Thread&postID=51960#post5 1960
    As a general rule -- if you ahve your minimap zoom all the way out to max, as long as your lowbies are visible on the minimap, they are getting
    Thats a GREAT tip. I've always wondered about the exact limitations.
    Well that's not the EXACT limitations as you can go just a bit farther than that but its a damn good guideline to use.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Olibri',index.php?page=Thread&postID=52183#post52 183
    Thanks for the tips!

So I ran it again last night and I'm at about 19 mins/run not counting reset. Some comments/questions:

1. I am finding toon deaths to be VERY frustrating as the run back is so painful. Wow do I hate running them back because some pat walked by. At this point I'm pretty much memorizing
    the pats and am having far fewer deaths. In addition I went and trained by priest to res so I'm saving a lot of time this way. For this reason I think I'm going to switch to Stockades at 15. I did this before with a mage using a druid to run through the whole thing and it was pretty easy, but also mind-numbing.
    2. How are you resetting the instance? Do you run back through to the start or going out the end entrance and running all the way back around? I was thinking afterwards that I might be able to logout for all of them and log back in to get them ported back to the start, but I'm not sure if that would work.
    Having a rezzer will save a huge amount of time. Also yes beyond keeping your lowbies far back from the action with your mage, you must remember when and where the pats spawn. I usually run out the back and straight over to the front again. I don't stop to kill anything in the mines just rank 1 aoe to keep em off my lowbies. The one problem with running stocks so early is the fact that you can only reset instances 5 times per hour before it locks you out of all of them. Stocks usually on takes 6 mins to clear which means you'll run all 5 in 30 mins and be sitting around for 30 mins waiting for it to reset. Of course you could do stocks from 15-20 then run over to SM as early as 20.

Over the weekend I took my team to level 15 and man am I glad to be out of DM. Periodic deaths were driving me crazy and I was sick of the run back.

I finished 15-20 in Stockades, and while I had a few mishaps, I am definitely happier with that experience. That said, as people mentioned, I ran into the 'too many instances recently' problem. Next is SM. I suspect that I'm going to need to respec my mage as he was getting hurt in Stockades and I can only assume that SM will be worse. We shall see...