Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 23

Default Budget PC build for 20 man multibox.

Hello. Right now my PC spec :
    i5 3570k, 16gb ram, 680gtx.
    Running 5 man group without any problems. But i want to expand first to 10(15) man and later maybe even to 20man multibox.
    I am playing on 1920x1080 resolution + second monitor(1920x1080) for twitch,youtube etc.
    I am on a tight budget. Will i be able to run 20man on i5 8400, 32gb ram, 1060gtx 6gb?

if you want to stretch what you have now, set macros up so the alts lower the render scale when running in the background.

/console renderscale 0.1 - for 10%
    /console renderscale 0.25 -for 25%

Sure, things on your alts will look like a coloured blob, but you'd be amazed at how much you can save resource wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayley View Post
    if you want to stretch what you have now, set macros up so the alts lower the render scale when running in the background.

Sure, things on your alts will look like a coloured blob, but you'd be amazed at how much you can save resource wise.
    Just to second this and comment, if you figure out about what percentage the size of your alts are compared to your main, you can set renderscale to that amount and you won't notice anything different on the alts (since they're tiny windows) aside from significantly reduced GPU/CPU. There does seem to be a very slight "lag" when ramping the alts back up when you switch to them but that could be caused by my macro also restoring the view distance back out to max. I haven't done the work to find out exactly but I suspect renderscale is the single most effective alt-resource-reduction option, with possibly ground clutter or shadows as close seconds.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayley View Post

Thnx!
    But it didnt help me.
    Still same load on CPU(20-25% on my main and 10-13% on minions), same load on RAM 1-1.5gb per window.
    Total CPU usage ~80-85% for 5 man
    FPS is locked to 60 on main and 30 on minions.
    I guess this renderscale command only lowers GPU load or my PC is strange
    Last edited by Speed : 07-21-2018 at 08:02 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I am on a tight budget. Will i be able to run 20man on i5 8400, 32gb ram, 1060gtx 6gb?
    It's highly unlikely that jamming twenty 64-bit game clients onto six CPU cores is going to be an enjoyable experience, especially when the base clock of the 8400 is only 2.8GHz. Unfortunately, "20-man multiboxing" and "budget" don't normally fall into the same sentence.

However, if you're using multiboxing software that is capable of running from two different machines, then you could always try and split the load between them.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    It's highly unlikely that jamming twenty 64-bit game clients onto six CPU cores is going to be an enjoyable experience, especially when the base clock of the 8400 is only 2.8GHz. Unfortunately, "20-man multiboxing" and "budget" don't normally fall into the same sentence.

However, if you're using multiboxing software that is capable of running from two different machines, then you could always try and split the load between them.
    Is base clock on CPU that important even if it goes to 4Ghz in turbo boost mode?
    I tried to overclock my 3570k@3.6Ghz(x36 multi) to 4Ghz(x40 multi) no impact on client cpu usage(still 20-25% on main window)
    But i got great result by lowering FPS lock from 30 to 15 on my slave clients. CPU load went from ~13% to ~7% for each minion window.
    Is 8400 worser than 7700k for multiboxing?
    Last edited by Speed : 07-21-2018 at 04:09 PM

If people could 20 box with such a crappy system, everyone and their mum would be 60 boxing atleast right now. It just aint happening. Expect minimum a pc worth 2 ish k dollars to 5box smoothly with low settings, thats including a monitor or two. Then add more pcs as needed.

A pc worth 3k dollars will play 10 games, but not smooth all of the time.. best to buy pcs for max 5 games on each, for a smooth experience. For safety you should calculate 4 gig RAM per game.
    Last edited by WOWBOX40 : 07-21-2018 at 04:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by WOWBOX40 View Post
    Expect minimum a pc worth 2 ish k dollars to 5box smoothly with low settings, thats including a monitor or two. Then add more pcs as needed.

A pc worth 3k dollars will play 10 games, but not smooth all of the time.. best to buy pcs for max 5 games on each, for a smooth experience. For safety you should calculate 4 gig RAM per game.
    Umm.... WoW isnt that demanding.
    1.7k$ PC is more than enough for 20 man.
    Last edited by Speed : 07-21-2018 at 04:40 PM

I set my background fps at 12 as it really doesn't seem to matter above that IMO.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Is base clock on CPU that important even if it goes to 4Ghz in turbo boost mode?
    "Boost" is nothing more than marketing BS because it normally only affects one or two cores, and if you're cooling on air, then it's going to be for a limited time (unless you adjust settings in the BIOS and are willing to run at a higher temperature).

EDIT1: There's a reason why there's a 1.2GHz gap between the base clock and the turbo clock. If the turbo clock was easily sustained then the gap wouldn't be so large (it's almost 50% of the base clock of the CPU). Also, 2.8GHz isn't the base clock for "power saving," because that's what C-States are for.

EDIT2: GamersNexus has an article on this that shows the boost tables for CoffeeLake CPUs, including the 8400 (their table is wrong, it's 4GHz and he states that in the associated video), and here's a thread over on Tom's Hardware where TechyInAZ explains it. In so many words, the maximum boost clock is only achieved when you're using one core, and then it drops down from there based on the amount of cores that are being used, which is then based upon thermals.

Is 8400 worser than 7700k for multiboxing?
    Slightly, yes.
    Last edited by MiRai : 07-21-2018 at 05:15 PM
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology