So after living with a not so great FX-8320 for far too long, I've decided it's finally time to pull the trigger on a new PC. Mostly new anyway. So here are my current specs:

Windows 10 on Samsung 840 SSD
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2GHz (Air cooled)
16GB RAM (DDR3, not OC'd, not very fast)
GTX 1070 (Air cooled)
Crucial M550 SSD (550MB/s read, 500MB/s write, 90K IOPS read, 80K IOPS write, 72TB endurance)
4k Monitor (60Hz max)

Games I play regularly or occasionally:
WoW (5 box)
Overwatch
Heroes of the Storm
Diablo 3
Borderlands 2
Fallout 4*
Skyrim*
DOOM (2016, this actually gets 60FPS almost everywhere with very high settings in 4k. Seems like modern games do a much better job taking advantage of additional threads)
Saints Row IV

*games I'd love to play more but mostly avoid due to CPU bottleneck

The 1070 does a surprisingly good job handling 4k resolutions for a lot of games. In general, the FX 8320 has been a huge bottleneck for me. Fallout 4 and Skyrim both have to be dialed back quite a bit due to my CPU. WoW is similar. My master sits at 5 with my slaves at 3 each and I'm happy to get 30 to 40fps in most uncrowded areas. Stormwind around the AH gets pretty bad with FPS down in the 10's. I've been holding off on a new build for years, only getting individual components upgraded. Mostly gfx cards.

So here is the new PC (parts are currently on order):

Windows 10 stays on the Samsung 840 for now.
AMD Ryzen 1700x (went one step up to the x version to hopefully get a better binning and make the 4GHz oc)
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 360, High Performance CPU Water Cooler with 6 x 120 mm Low Noise Fans, 394 x120 mm Radiator
Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (3000MHz)
GTX 1070 (same card)
Plextor M8Pe 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe (2000 MB/s read, 900MB/s write, 210,000 IOPS read, 230,000 IOPS write, 384TB endurance)
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming motherboard

All of this is going into a new case, the Thermaltake ATX full tower cube with glass sides. Currently using a HAF XB cube which is pretty good, but surprisingly cramped inside. My current build barely fits and the CPU cooler forced me to remove the top 200mm case fan.

The goal is to overclock the Ryzen to 4GHz, or 3.8/3.9. No idea if I'll get lucky enough for that. May or may not be able to hit 3k on the RAM. From all I've read AMD still has a lot of tweaking to do in that department. Either way this rig should be a serious step up from my old one. I'm particularly excited to try out gaming on the NVMe SSD. With read speeds being four times faster maybe loading into WoW 5 boxing won't be such a pain in the ass.