Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 11

Default IWT on button set

I'm creating my first melee team, 5 paladins. I'm currently running a mixed setup for grouping with the LFG tool.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how people usually solve the IWT for attacking enemies. I'm now using the standard buttons where they are setup to assist and broadcast. I feel that it would be easier if I also could have the IWT for most of my abilites. (and maybe also have the control to not include the healer for the IWT etc).
    So what I'm really looking for is to configure a custom made button set just for this team, as all my others use the same standard set.

Maybe this has been covered in a video or guide? I looked around but did not find just what I'm looking for among all the things that are out there. I do remember some thread about something similar, but can't find it now.

TBH, once you start getting proficient, it is more normal to move away from integrating Assist and/or IWT into the single actions, and to separate them. This is so you can more effectively manage multiple targets, rather than have to focus on a single target all the time.

But, that said, assuming ISBoxer based on the terminology, your best bet is to create a second menu (or set of mapped keys in a different Key map), and have it call the IWT mapped key, rather than the Assist Me mapped key. The IWT mapped key already does the Assist Me as part of the process, so you don't need it twice.

There is a video on creating a second menu, by duplicating the existing one, and then updating various values. If you are using mapped keys, then create a Key Map, then use the Mapped Key Wizard to create the basic mapped keys (or you could create Assist+Broadcast), and then update them to call the IWT mapped key first.

If using the Key Map, then you will probably want to assign it to the team, and add it to the Activate Maps mapped key. Also you might want to set a white/blacklist of Key Maps for that character set (so you don't get multiple key maps with the same hotkeys loading up).
    If using the menu, you can set the Override button set for the Character Set on the Standard Menu, or you can create a whole new menu, and assign that to the Character Set instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mbox_bob View Post
    TBH, once you start getting proficient, it is more normal to move away from integrating Assist and/or IWT into the single actions, and to separate them. This is so you can more effectively manage multiple targets, rather than have to focus on a single target all the time.

But, that said, assuming ISBoxer based on the terminology, your best bet is to create a second menu (or set of mapped keys in a different Key map), and have it call the IWT mapped key, rather than the Assist Me mapped key. The IWT mapped key already does the Assist Me as part of the process, so you don't need it twice.

There is a video on creating a second menu, by duplicating the existing one, and then updating various values. If you are using mapped keys, then create a Key Map, then use the Mapped Key Wizard to create the basic mapped keys (or you could create Assist+Broadcast), and then update them to call the IWT mapped key first.

If using the Key Map, then you will probably want to assign it to the team, and add it to the Activate Maps mapped key. Also you might want to set a white/blacklist of Key Maps for that character set (so you don't get multiple key maps with the same hotkeys loading up).
    If using the menu, you can set the Override button set for the Character Set on the Standard Menu, or you can create a whole new menu, and assign that to the Character Set instead.
    Thanks for a very good response.
    I understand now that it would be a much too simple setup to just have IWT along with all abilites. So I'm going to have to add in some more logic as to when IWT should be included, and for which characters.

Cheers for the video link, with the help of that I have now created a new menu for my paladins.
    I have also figured out a way to decide for each button how each character should react: either IWT, only assist, or even only ability without assist. Having that control I can easily put my healer into a hybrid mode where it can attack enemies with assist for some abilities, or keep a friendly healing target by not assisting the dps at all. Before when I added a healer I totally removed any assist functionality on the standard buttons, just to achieve not loosing the friendly target.

Anyway now when I have understood how to configure IWT/assist/none as specific as a single button, it will allow me to have enough control of my teams different roles for now.

Once I'm a bit more comfortable with this, I'll try and move to an even more dynamic way of deciding when IWT should be used for each character, so that I'm not totally unprepared for Legion, where mixed teams will be needed for dungeons

Thanks again!
    Last edited by davidmage : 07-10-2016 at 09:23 AM

I use Click to move with IWT keybind in game for things like handing in quests and looting items anyway.. so if I melee I just use that keybind all the time.

I have an explicit key to do IWT, as spamming IWT in combat just runs too great a risk of runaways for my liking. (PVE only, btw.)
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I just started a 5 pali team as well and I was thinking of adding follow as a step, such as IWT on key down and follow on key up. But thats just in my head and I have not tried, it may not work well.

I really like the look when they are running all around the mob I am attacking.

The only problem I have with controlling the IWT manually on a separate button is that it adds a slight delay everytime I change target. And sometimes I even forget.
    As Ugh mentions it seems that the characters sometimes run away in some crazy direction when IWT is used, I guess that's an unavoidable side effect every time it's used? If so, that may motivate to actually have a separate key for IWT to minimize the times characters just go running wild.
    That has not caused much problems in low level dungeons, but we can't have characters running randomly in environments less forgiving.
    I may just have to sacrifice one of my favorite keys for the IWT if it turns out I will need to handle it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmage View Post
    As Ugh mentions it seems that the characters sometimes run away in some crazy direction when IWT is used, I guess that's an unavoidable side effect every time it's used?
    As explained in this thread, with video even, it is a click to move thing, built right in to the game..

Well it might be. There is also some other sporadic issues with follow too.

When mine start to run off I just press my S key which is move back.. it took me ages to get used to melee, but after a while it just clicks. Ranged is just so much easier though.

Alright so this seems to be a thing, and just not something I'm experiencing.

Yea I have kept my characters fairly controlled by just totally spamming the keys, with 'F' (my follow button) being one of them. That usually brings back any characters who have gone stray, and they can often be in hit range of the target until they get a correct IWT.
    Will just try and see if this mash buttons playstyle will be more effective than trying to reduce it all by using IWT as limited as possible.