Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Default Air vs water cooling (commodity level) comparison

Since we regularly see folks asking about components, pricing, and performance in new build scenarios, I thought I'd share this review I tripped on today in my search for the end of the internet.

Having used Noctua coolers on a bunch of builds before I switched to the H60i and H80i for the three recent builds, I can generally confirm their findings, including the caveats about heat spikes.

For me, the AIO cooling systems provide two notable benefits: first being the stated thermal mass reducing temp spikes (and because the temp doesn't immediately spike, the fans don't spin up immediately either), and second being that not having the large cooler in the middle of the motherboard makes it easier to route cables and access fan headers and power connections when building/upgrading the PC.

Even so, I swapped the fans on all of my Corsair H60i/H80i installs to the Noctua high-pressure fans (NF-F12 PWM 4-pin). This results in the benefits of the radiator with the lower-speed/lower-noise benefits of the Noctua fans. A bit more cost doing that but I haven't regretted it a bit.

[edit] With regards to his comment about the pump failing, I have 4 in use and I have yet to see one fail. Arguably a small sample size, so YMMV.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone considering upgrades or new builds. /cheers
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 06-13-2019 at 03:34 PM
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I don't like their noise test because they're using two different types of fans and I would guess that Noctua's fans are better than Corsair's fans, which could've easily lead to the small difference in temps, and you do that same as I would do: switch the fans out for something better (Gentle Typhoon, EK Vardar, Noctua, etc.). However, my personal recommendation for AIOs is when you've got the space to install a 240/280/360mm setup, since I don't feel that 120mm AIOs are all that useful, other than for simpler cable routing.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    However, my personal recommendation for AIOs is when you've got the space to install a 240/280/360mm setup, since I don't feel that 120mm AIOs are all that useful, other than for simpler cable routing.
    A fair point. My results using the 120mm radiators with non-OC CPUs (up through i7 7700K) have shown acceptable temps in overnight Prime98 stress tests. Nothing I do in games has yet resulted in the ~70C temps I get with Prime98. Most I see is usually ~62C. Forgot to note that in the OP. If you're going 5GHz like they (and others) do, the 120mm AIO will probably not be sufficient under sustained loads.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    A fair point. My results using the 120mm radiators with non-OC CPUs (up through i7 7700K) have shown acceptable temps in overnight Prime98 stress tests. Nothing I do in games has yet resulted in the ~70C temps I get with Prime98. Most I see is usually ~62C. Forgot to note that in the OP. If you're going 5GHz like they (and others) do, the 120mm AIO will probably not be sufficient under sustained loads.
    Interesting - I guess I didn't consider stock speeds.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Thousands of dollars on a pretty but expensive water cooling kit versus 300 dollars on a quiet room A/C and a house robe to keep warm.

I know where my money is going. Plus the added benefit of cooling the entire room which helps monitors and laptops.

I think the only way I'd do an entire water cooling setup is if the PC was wall mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMilitia View Post
    Thousands of dollars on a pretty but expensive water cooling kit versus 300 dollars on a quiet room A/C and a house robe to keep warm.

I know where my money is going. Plus the added benefit of cooling the entire room which helps monitors and laptops.

I think the only way I'd do an entire water cooling setup is if the PC was wall mounted.
    For those of us who already have air conditioning, we can put that $300 toward our attractive water-cooling setup.

Also, water-cooling doesn't require "thousands of dollars," and several of the components are even able to re-used (pump, reservoir, radiator(s), and fittings).

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    For those of us who already have air conditioning, we can put that $300 toward our attractive water-cooling setup.

Also, water-cooling doesn't require "thousands of dollars," and several of the components are even able to re-used (pump, reservoir, radiator(s), and fittings).

Sure, I use an AIO CPU watercooler that has been a faithful servant over the years. But going through the hassle of watercooling the entire rig is another thing. Starting from scratch? What is that anyway? 1k easily?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMilitia View Post
    But going through the hassle Starting from scratch? What is that anyway? 1k easily?
    Sure if you buy all EK you can easily find yourself with $800+ in your cart. But if you shop around, at the lower end of the market e.g. alphacool blocks, barrow fittings, then you can start watercooling for much less.