Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default 3 Accounts, 1 Box equipment suggestions?

Hi guys.

Im interested in 3 boxing for PvP. I need to upgrade at this point anyways. Im curious as to what you would suggest for playing 3 accounts on one PC. I have a couple WD Raptor 10k rpm drives that are currently in Raid 0. I was thinking when it comes time to rebuild I would drop raid, add one more Raptor and run 3 drives with 1 copy of WoW on each.

So I need to know what you all think would be good for Processor, MOBO, and Graphix Card?

Or any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance! I cant wait to give this a spin.

Oh and any info from anyone who has three-boxed mages in arena's would be great as well.

You might be able to get away with 2Gb ddr with only three wow instances, but I'd still advise the following.

quad CPU + 4Gb DDR + 8k+ geforce (pref 8800) and at least the GT type, preferably GTS or Ultra. It's doable with 2Gb but 4Gb will just feel smoothly.

I 5-box on one pc, 2,4 Ghz quad / 4Gb DDR3 and 8800 ultra enforce. Asus motherboard/graphic card (I always try to use the same brands as much as possible, Asus never failed me.) And it runs smooth, when I had 2Gb ddr it was still doable, even with 5 windows. But towns were nearly impossible to get through, I had to walk past AH one by one, now I do still experience some lag at some points, Auctionhouses, but at least I can get past with all 5 together, with some lag.

If you're looking for minimum requirements, 2Gb should be enough though. If you lag in towns doesn't mean you lag in instances/pvp, it's usually far better when it matters anyhow.
    Slowly crawling back towards the experience that is Multiboxing Mayhem

I think 2GB of ram and any dual core would be more than sufficient for 3-boxing. However, when the bug bites harder and you decide to move up to 5, 4GB and the quad core is where it's at.
    WowVoiceBox - Free speech recognition program designed for multiboxers!

Retired Multi-boxer

I would suggest keeping the RAID0 and using symbolic linking to create virtual directories that map to the location of your physical WoW directory. I wrote a handy script that does the mapping for you in one step (requires Vista):
    [Other] PowerShell script to create symbolically linked (mklink) copies of WoW

For RAM I agree that 4 GB is better. It's pretty cheap these days. No reason to skimp.
    All my codes r belong to you: wow5box

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizotarian',index.php?page=Thread&postID=47664# post47664]I would suggest keeping the RAID0 and using symbolic linking to create virtual directories that map to the location of your physical WoW directory. I wrote a handy script that does the mapping for you in one step (requires Vista):
    [b][Other][/b] [url='http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4854
    PowerShell script to create symbolically linked (mklink) copies of WoW[/url]

For RAM I agree that 4 GB is better. It's pretty cheap these days. No reason to skimp.
    I am currently running Vista and when I was going through all the tutorials I followed the instructions of one and copied my C:/Program Files/World of Warcraft folder and made C:/wow1, wow2, wow3.

Since I've already done that should I delete them and just use your script to make the copies run at a higher rate of efficiency? Thanks for any input.
    [align=right]US Alliance / Dethecus
    Warsage: 70
    [align=center]Mage: x3 - Level: 5
    <The PoM/Pyro Project>
    [/align][/align]

Quote Originally Posted by 'Kaynin',index.php?page=Thread&postID=47641#post47 641
    You might be able to get away with 2Gb ddr with only three wow instances, but I'd still advise the following.

quad CPU + 4Gb DDR + 8k+ geforce (pref 8800) and at least the GT type, preferably GTS or Ultra. It's doable with 2Gb but 4Gb will just feel smoothly.

I 5-box on one pc, 2,4 Ghz quad / 4Gb DDR3 and 8800 ultra enforce. Asus motherboard/graphic card (I always try to use the same brands as much as possible, Asus never failed me.) And it runs smooth, when I had 2Gb ddr it was still doable, even with 5 windows. But towns were nearly impossible to get through, I had to walk past AH one by one, now I do still experience some lag at some points, Auctionhouses, but at least I can get past with all 5 together, with some lag.

If you're looking for minimum requirements, 2Gb should be enough though. If you lag in towns doesn't mean you lag in instances/pvp, it's usually far better when it matters anyhow.
    I Don't think you need that much, but more is always better,

I run 3 normaly, and 5 when my second computer decides it doesn't want to work for the day on:

2 gigs of ram (2 runs all 5 fine, on min settings)
    8400gs 51mb ()http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814136025)
    AMD athalon 3200+ and combo CPU that came with it, I have no idea about it's specs. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135058)
    Old HD from an old comp.
    350W power supply

I built this cheapy comp for about 250$ with some old parts from an old comp (case, HD, monitor, keyboard and mouse)

It's meh in main cities when I run all of my chars there, but when It is only running 2-3 WoWs it does just fine, never have a FPS drop from my 15 FPS back, 40 FPS front (though i never have 1 up front, I control it all from my main comp.)

Thanks for the info guys.

Btw I thought WinXP couldnt deal with 4gb of ram? Thought you had to ..... shudder..... use Vista in order to access more then 3gb of ram?

Quote Originally Posted by 'sensenmann',index.php?page=Thread&postID=47955#po st47955

I Don't think you need that much, but more is always better,

I run 3 normaly, and 5 when my second computer decides it doesn't want to work for the day on:

2 gigs of ram (2 runs all 5 fine, on min settings)
    8400gs 51mb ()http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814136025)
    AMD athalon 3200+ and combo CPU that came with it, I have no idea about it's specs. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135058)
    Old HD from an old comp.
    350W power supply

I built this cheapy comp for about 250$ with some old parts from an old comp (case, HD, monitor, keyboard and mouse)

It's meh in main cities when I run all of my chars there, but when It is only running 2-3 WoWs it does just fine, never have a FPS drop from my 15 FPS back, 40 FPS front (though i never have 1 up front, I control it all from my main comp.)
    wow lol, i have most of that already.

I have the following currently:

AMD 3800 processor
    2 gb (4x512) OCZ Platinum
    2 x 37gb Western Digital raptors, + 160gb WD extra drive
    I HAD a pretty good graphics card, but it grenaded on me, so im using an old one atm, 128 mg piece of junk.

According to what you have there, all I need to run 3 instances is a new graphics card?

Oh and to make things worse, the vid card, and the mobo of course, are AGP.....

So yeah, I am in dire need of upgrades