Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: The Goal Post

Default The Goal Post

Since this sub-forum is kind of slow, I thought I would make a post about goals to see if anybody felt like sharing.

I am running 2 5 man mining groups consisting of 1 orca and 4 miners. The orcas are also hauling at this point.

Short Term Goal for me:
    My 3 newest guys will be able to fly a hulk in approx 6 days time, I am attempting to raise funds to purchase those (about 1/3 of the way there). They're currently in covetors.

After that:
    +4 implants for 10 characters... will set me back about a billion ISK or so if I skimp on charisma
    Mining implants for boosters (? price, havent researched)
    Mining implants for miners (? price, havent researched)
    Secondary mining op setup and ready to go in case catastrophe strikes, 2x orca and 8x hulk roughly 3b after fitting them out etc.

After that, who knows? =D Will update this when I meet a goal.

Feel free to share your goals, and if not... ill just keep rambling here alone, I dont mind.
    Currently running 10 miners in Eve Online.

Charisma is pretty worthless for mining. Definitely skimp on implanting for it. And why 2 orcas?
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

Quote Originally Posted by EaTCarbS View Post
    Charisma is pretty worthless for mining. Definitely skimp on implanting for it. And why 2 orcas?
    If he is mining in high-sec, which I think he is, he would deplete the belts too quick if he had all 8 of his miners in one belt. By splitting his miners into two groups he reduces the chance of attracting gankers, as well as not instantly clearing out a belt.

My only recommendation for his setup is mackinaws over hulks, due to the fact that if he is using the orcas for hauling he is already losing out on boosts for a sizable amount of time, so the yield probably wouldn't be that much different between the two, if not better with the mackinaws.

These are my goals
    Short term:
    buy a second rorqual
    buy a Jump freighter

Long term:
    Finish training fighter bombers to 5 on my carrier character
    Buy a nyx

Super long term:
    Currently training all my miners to carriers, so i can lolhotdrop some people.

Charisma is indeed useless for mining, but wont be useless for other things to be trained (social skills etc). It is still of course the least worthwhile stat, but does have its limited uses.

Yes Jwoz that is correct. 1 orca and 4 hulks in each belt is comfortable enough where the miners have minimal overlap, the rocks dont pop too quickly, seems to be optimal so far. Still tweaking things.

Boosting isnt down too often, but it does affect things a bit.

I just found out how much the mining foreman link costs these days... considering, if you can still boost from anywhere in the system and dont have to be in the same belt, just parking the orca somewhere, forming a single gang but still splitting into 2 groups and going to different belts, and then pulling a dedicated hauler.

Honestly I dont know if a) a dedicated hauler could keep up with 8 pimped hulks and b) if that is a better setup than 2 orcas, each hauling for their subgroup and temporarily losing out on bonuses.

Still tweaking, opinions are welcome.

Goal Update:
    After a mining op earlier today, have enough funds to purchase 2 of the 3 hulks I need. Short term goal: purchase last hulk (for now).

I don't mine myself, but based on what I see boxers in my corp do, they have a dedicated hauler than hauls ore from anywhere from 10-20 mackinaws to a pos, and boost with a rorqual. Have you considered mining in null?
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Charisma is indeed useless for mining
    Except for the leadership skills on your orca/rorq/booster that help passively boost your fleet:
    • siege warfare for shields
    • armored warfare for armor
    • skirmish warfare for agility, so you align and warp out faster
    • information warfare for targeting range (very useful if you're using Drones to zap the rats)
    • leadership/wing command for fleet structure

I'd also point you at Mackinaws over Hulks if you're mining in a system with a station or POS.
    Mack has 35,000m3 Ore Bay, you just wait the ~15m for it to fill, then dock/POS up and drop it off.
    No need for a dedicated hauler, so you have an extra miner.
    Much less stress, too, as you're not continually flying the hauler around collecting cans.
    No cans for griefers to flip/shoot.
    In null, a big advantage is not leaving cans in the field when you POS up on neuts, so they can't tell where you were mining (as long as you destroy the rat wrecks, too).

Hi Moog,

This would be kind of a messy calculation, but I wonder if losing the booster to hauling a few times an hour for a few minutes would be better or worse than losing each miner every 15 minutes as they dock, unload, undock, warp back to position. This coupled with the lower yield of the mack.

Just going with my gut it seems like leaving the miners to do their thing would be optimal.

RE: Carbs, the operations you're talking about have a much larger scale than mine so logistics are different.

I haven't been to null since before I started boxing (2008?)... I dont have fond memories, I think I spent a lot of time hiding in station.

The money sounds great for sure and I loved the asteroids... my 10 would go nuts in a belt like that these days.

Short Term:

Getting moved back into High-sec over the next day and re-anchoring my POS's.
    Build to PnL/Build Plan to re-coup Costs of my latest BPO Acquisitions.
    4 More days til 2 Orcas roll-out of production and onto Market (hopefully the sell quickly).

Long Term:

Nothing planned at this time.
    To Mine or not to mine again....this is the question!

I've spent the last several months maintaining the indy backbone of a small Null-sec Alliance, but do to shifts in leaderships and long term alliance plans i decided to move back to high-sec to have less to worry about, especially when dealing new alliance leadership that doesn't quite understand all the aspects of the game other then fighting and killing ships (and they wonder why they cant afford stuff).
    Meeo/Nibilus

I've danced the 0.0 leadership incompetence dance before, wasnt fun.

What was your mining setup wtih your 14 in null if you dont mind my asking? And if you get to high sec mining what do you think youll do?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    This would be kind of a messy calculation, but I wonder if losing the booster to hauling a few times an hour for a few minutes would be better or worse than losing each miner every 15 minutes as they dock, unload, undock, warp back to position. This coupled with the lower yield of the mack.
    An easy comparison using EFT

I'll be boosting with a maxed out Orca pilot:

Here's your Hulk yield - a maxed out L5 miner with a Highwall3 implant:

and similarly for the Mack:

Now plug those into Excel and voila...

These are theoretical maximum hourly yields, ignoring that fact that asteroids run out, neuts interrupt mining and you lose, say, a minute per ore bay to warp/deposit/return.
    So it's not until you have 7 Hulks + 1 hauler that you actually start beating the yield from the Mackinaws.

I can't stress how much better the Macks are - I used to haul when I was running 5 Covetors and it's very hard to keep up with them... I wouldn't go back to hauling for such a big fleet.
    A huge advantage in null is not leaving cans behind, revealing where you were mining and giving the neut something to shoot when they can't find your ships!
    In hi-sec, no cans = no can flipping.

Mackinaws FTW