Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 23

Default MoP hunter dps rotation (a work in progress)

Well, the latest build has allowed me to start working on a dps rotation, and I've had some limited success.

The big problem right now appears to be Focus Fire. If I add Focus Fire to either of my macros below, at some point it will stop working, and I have to manually click shots. I think this is because Focus Fire used to be an instant cast with a 15 second cooldown, but right now it's an instant without a cooldown (and maybe not on the GCD?) Also, with the change to Rabid, it appears to be easier to leave it on autocast and leave it out of your macros.

The following standard 2-button spam appears to be working now..

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=combat  Arcane Shot,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,Arcane Shot,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,
    Code:
    /cast Kill Command
    Now the question is, how to add Focus Fire back, or do they need to fix something on it first?

I'm also looking at how the add the various 30 sec spells, but they also seem to be hanging the castseqence if they are not ready, even if I put them in the second macro.
    Last edited by halabar : 07-14-2012 at 08:16 PM

I like threads like this, its definitely time to start threorycrafting how to play MoP specs! With the 5.0xx patch hitting the PTRs anytime now, i think the announcement of MoP release date, and the actual release date, are eminent!
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

I appear to have a problem.... (no, not that problem, a problem with the macros)

From my testing with the macros above, after a while, the first macro (the arcane/cobra one) will hang, and will require exiting combat to get it working again.

I've tried with combat/15 and a few other variations, with no luck yet. It will go for a while, and then hang at wierd spots. I'm also still manually casting Focus Fire since it appears to hang macros as well... sigh..

Well, considering Arcane uses a limited resource {focus}, I probably wouldn't have it spammed in a string like that. Especially when it's competing with Kill Command for Focus. I haven't tested any macros on beta, but have you tried using fallthrus?

Macro 1

Code:
    /castsequence Cobra Shot, Cobra Shot
    /cast Arcane Shot
    Macro 2
    Code:
    /cast Focus Fire
    /cast Kill Command
    You might have to swap the various "casts" around to get the best results, but less is usually more effective in situations like this.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

I always liked doing the fall through part via a 2step macro ( like your doing with kill comand ). When i have several abilities that have long cool downs and that wont work in macros together, i do the multistep method of having ISboxer spam multi buttons with those various cooldown abilities on them (example focus fire ) SO you might need a 3. 4 or 5 step to get them all in.
    Last edited by Lyonheart : 07-22-2012 at 10:38 AM
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Ok, fiddled with it some more, and it appears to be working better, with some slight tweaks.. still think it might be sticking in places, but I haven't looked at logs to see if I'm missing shots over time.

used the following:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=combat/12 Arcane Shot,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,Arcane Shot,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,
    Code:
    /cast Kill Command
    /cast Dire Beast
    and did 27k self-buffed on the lvl 85 dummy with a 397 gear level, manually casting Rapid Fire, Readiness, Focus Fire, and BW.

Next to test Khatovar's suggestion...

Ok, tried some variations of Khatovar's suggestion (btw Khatovar, thanks for your suggestions!!! I appreciate the input!), and came up with this as working the best...

Code:
    /castsequence reset=4 Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot
    /cast Arcane Shot
    Code:
    /cast Kill Command
    /cast Dire Beast
    with the same setup as above, and pulled it 25k on the same dummy. The problem I saw is that not enough Cobra shots are going off, as one of the other casts will take precendence, so I wind up focus starved, while my other version appears to be more focus-neutral. The other problem is that with the shorter castsequence, it appears to be more susceptible to variable haste conditions, and can have dead spots.

Edit: Got it up to 27k with the following tweaks...

Code:
    /castsequence reset=4 Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot
    Code:
    /cast Arcane Shot
    /cast Kill Command
    /cast Dire Beast
    Focus Fire appears that it will still be a stumbling block for a complete macro, since unlike live, it no longer has a cooldown and might be off the GCD. I'm not running ISboxer, so I can't test it on a third button by itself.
    Last edited by halabar : 07-22-2012 at 09:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    I always liked doing the fall through part via a 2step macro ( like your doing with kill comand ). When i have several abilities that have long cool downs and that wont work in macros together, i do the multistep method of having ISboxer spam multi buttons with those various cooldown abilities on them (example focus fire ) SO you might need a 3. 4 or 5 step to get them all in.
    I'm not running ISboxer right now, so I can't test that, but a question.. can you set predetermined cast times (or delays) for something like Focus Fire that is an instant and doesn't appear to be on the GCD?

Quote Originally Posted by halabar View Post
    I'm not running ISboxer right now, so I can't test that, but a question.. can you set predetermined cast times (or delays)
    If we're still talking about World of Warcraft, then that would be considered botting.

Quote Originally Posted by halabar View Post
    something like Focus Fire that is an instant and doesn't appear to be on the GCD?
    ISBoxer can't "get around" the global cooldown. If you're trying to cast multiple spells which invoke the global cooldown only one of them is going to fire off.

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    If we're still talking about World of Warcraft, then that would be considered botting.

ISBoxer can't "get around" the global cooldown. If you're trying to cast multiple spells which invoke the global cooldown only one of them is going to fire off.
    Hmm... (yes, still talking WoW...)

Perhaps that's why they made the change to Focus Fire that they did. Since you want to wait until you have 5 (or at least 4 Frenzy stacks) but it's an instant cast (and doesn't appear to be on the GCD), the only solution then might be a 3rd button like Lyonheart suggests, since it will otherwise hang a macro (it will cast even if you don't have Frenzy stacks, so you just wind up spamming it instead of moving to the next spell).