Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 31

Default Druid or Shaman Booster in May 2012 ?

Hail!

I did search this and read a number of posts, but many seem to be from 2009-2010. Are these both equally viable? Is one much faster or more difficult than the other? I understand some people recommend shaman for AOE damage and heals, and also feel the ghostwolf ability speeds up running through dungeons and gathering mobs. I also understand that over the years the druid's bear form has changed in how many mobs can be effectively tanked; ie. if only three mobs can be hit at once or limitless.

I will be 5-boxing RAF using instances mostly. After my first group, I will also have a Paladin at my disposal for boosting.

Also, do granted levels still count as earned levels? And therefore result in even more grantable levels? Reading alot of posts on inviting to RAF like A>B> etc, I think this is the part I never understood. It seems at least at some point this was the case.

Thanks so much,

-Grail
    Last edited by Grail : 05-10-2012 at 04:29 PM

Druids are pretty good boosters, definitely better than shamans imo. Paladins probably still the best though.

I never bothered with RAF, I'm sure someone will respond to help you with that.

Till theTBC dungeons an ele shaman is the fastest by miles, closely followed by a frost mage. If you are really good as ele and you have the right gear, it's still a good booster till the first wotlk dungeons, but as soon as I hit the first tbc dungeon i'd go for a feral druid. They have swipe, which is brainless aoe damage in a 360° cone on a 3s cd, and they have a ton of survivability.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Ive found an arcane mage to be fastest for me up until 70 or so.

I currently use my raiding warlock to boost. Has worked well through level 60. I'll try to remember to give an update once I hit BC/WotLK dungeons. Basically i just spam Fel Flame until Armory in SM, then i just spam corruption and use shadowflame on c/d. Also helps that I have www.wowhead.com/?item=77208
    I triple box on Arthas(US-PvP) and Magtheridon(US-PvP)
    I also have solo toons on Turalyon(my main raider) and Destromath

Thanks everyone!

3box, I appreciate the input

Zenga, thanks for the info on druids and swipe.

Keteran, I definitely am enjoying my mage right now. Unfortunately, she is only 17

Scelesti, can druids get that weapon?

I forgot to mention, I am using a Scroll of Resurrection on an old account, so that is why I don't know the two classes that well now, but will
    have an opportunity to start with a 80 booster.

Anyone know the answer to my last question? "Also, do granted levels still count as earned levels? And therefore result in even more grantable levels? Reading alot of posts on inviting to RAF like A>B> etc, I think this is the part I never understood. It seems at least at some point this was the case."

-Grail

Blog Entries

Whichever toon is better geared, or you're more familiar with, will be the better choice.

It's hard to think of any combination of level 60ish mobs.. say in Hellfire Ramparts...
    As being a major threat to a level 85 character, even with just quest gear.

In general, I've found:
    Prot Pally = Ret Pally = Feral Druid > Other Tanks > AoE Casters > Other Classes

But when I did the RAF, level 70 was the cap.
    And a level 70 could easily be overwhelmed by pulling all of Scarlet Monastery at once.
    Sure a half geared Prot Pally was okay at that, but there would be no chance at all for a Hunter to survive pulling the entire SM instance in one go.

Once the boosting dungeon is higher, in relation to the tanks health...
    Then defensive skills (more health, higher armor, mitigation factors) become a factor in the boosting.
    Since RAF is to 80th now, the question is how well your toon can solo WotLK era dungeons.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Thanks Ualaa,

This is why I don't want to use my hunter who I love. Unfortunately, I can't answer your last question as I don't have the 80 yet. But I do think they are supposed to come with decent gear. I am leaning druid or shaman and then on the second round of RAF switching to my Paladin after 70 or so.

Oh, wait, Ualaa, before you go... do granted levels still count as earned levels and therefore equate more grantable levels?

Thanks!

-Grail

Blog Entries

Yes, granted levels cascade.

In an: A > B > C chain.
    A boosts four toons on BC.

C gives two to B.
    B gives two to A.

B then gives one more to A, because of receiving two from C.

It's actually 39 levels granted, for a toon who went from 1st to 80th.
    So 39x2... (40-1 x2 = 80-2).. 78 granted levels.
    Ideally, you'd level a toon... who will be receiving granted levels to 2nd.
    And have them very close (90%+) towards being level 3.
    Then grant them 78 levels, and you've got a level 80, who is 90%+ through 80th already.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

UMMM... Frost DK is the fastest BY FAR to boost with... and I have all the mentioned classes. no way a paladin is anywhere as close as just aoe frosting everything so with a DK.. lol Feral druids are good too, but the DMG od a frost DK is just so high, and so great.

And I just boosted 2 teams from 1-80 on the weekend.