Do you know how the little sata connectors come with that little L shaped guide for both power and data transfer? I am talking about the sata female connectors and their power counterparts. Well, my little L shaped guide on the back of my WD 10K RPM Raptor broke off while I was removing the power connector. I had to wiggle it a little left to right and must have wiggled a little too much. When I put the power connector back in place I forgot I might have to be extra careful... and first no boot, and then the odor of plastic and electrical burning smoke along with a boot.

Half the power copper bits are stripped from the Raptor which is now in an external bay powered by a DC plug. It still boots and I hope to clone it as it has my OS. Still, I don't think I will be able to count on it for my backup drive which it was about to be. So there goes $179.00. Grrr.

My main question though is whether I should be able to use the PSU. It is a 750w PC Power and Cooling from back in the day before they were bought by OCZ. Thing has been great for five years of admittedly not hard core use. If I simply don't use that one connector, there are three on the cable, should it be alright? Using a flashlight to peer inside, it appears stripped/mangled pretty bad. There might still be some copper from the Hard drive that was stripped off. I just don't know enough about how the electricity works to know if it would be safe.

I can test it for hours in my kitchen while sitting with in arms reach, but when I move it to my gaming room, I can just imagine getting into an hours long session and suddenly looking to left and seeming Towering Inferno.

Any thoughts on the hard drive would be great also.

Thanks in advance,

-Grail