Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17

Default My own ten boxing hardware thread!

Look, I know it's better to run two cheap computers than have one power horse run 10 instances. I only have two monitors and limited deskspace and I want one computer that will do raids and IoC/AV decently. Minimized settings are fine--I just want decent FPS.

So, I have an I7 920 @ 3.3ghz with 16 gigs of Corsair DDR3 and a GTX 550TI and an SSD. I was able to do some raiding but Org hammers me--My CPU is maxxed out even with everything minimized. So, my question is this: Which of these two options should I go with?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116402

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115070
    plus
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131783

It's $430 versus $590 obviously, but what is going to be the performance gap? I'd love to just pull out the current processor I have and pop the new one in, apply some thermal paste and put the fan on it and go. This is my number one issue: Performance. I can eat the $250 difference if the performance is there.

Oh, and I have an ASUS P6T SE as my current mobo.
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."

My choice would be the newer 2600K processor but, then your 550Ti might bottleneck if you get more CPU headroom.

Odd. My setup is slightly less powerful than yours, and I have no lag problems whatsoever.

i7 930
    ASUS P6X58D-E
    12 GB Corsair Dominator
    GTX 560
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

Perhaps if he's running DX11 he should try using DX9 and lowering background framerates.

Rated Arena Member

Cheap - Mosg is cheap =) go go i7 3930k + Asus X79 SABERTOOH
    use ur current ram, and upgrade later.

Irelevant to ur post I know. But I wouldnt spend money on an older generation anymore i7 2600k is old now
    Last edited by Selz : 04-02-2012 at 12:28 AM

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    Perhaps if he's running DX11 he should try using DX9 and lowering background framerates.
    I also disable the sunshafts, shadows, and water effects on my alts. Those can be real fps kickers.
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

Quote Originally Posted by EaTCarbS View Post
    Odd. My setup is slightly less powerful than yours, and I have no lag problems whatsoever.

i7 930
    ASUS P6X58D-E
    12 GB Corsair Dominator
    GTX 560

EatCarbs, are you 10-boxing with that setup? I thought you just did 5.

when i added my 580 3GB i was able to 10 box in org with low lag ( low settings with main on medium ) and i only have 8 gigs of ram ( 2600K cpu ). I use one monitor stacked WoWs, and video fx tiles for the alts. Not sure if the 3GB of Vram is what helped. I have not done any BGs with 10, and i am adding 8 more gigs of ram before MoP. Am thinking about selling my 580 and adding a 680 GB when they are available. ( for the other games i play, mostly )
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Is the 920 not conducive to overclocking? I bumped up my 2500K this weekend to 4.2 GHz (so incredibly easy with an Asus mobo) and even under heavy load my temps maxed out at 50C.
    BeerbaronBeerbaronessBeerlordBeerladyBeerprincess
    Katiebird/PinktailsBluetailsRedtailsGreentailsWhitetails
    < Ascended >
    Bonechewer US - Alliance

@Mirai:
    How do I swap from DX11 to DX9? Also, I don't think the lag I do get is from my video card--The CPUID shows all my cores at 100% when I'm in org. How do I look at the video card?

@Eatcarbs:
    Your GTX560 probably has 2g of vram, the 550ti only has 1g. I (hastily) bought this video card. I'll probably buy another identical one and set'em up in ISBoxer. I also have everything turned off/down on all the toons.

@All:
    Well, if Mirai suggests the 2600k then that's the answer I was just hesitant to replace the mobo--I'm just always leery to dick around with them. The question now is, does the mobo make a difference as long as it has 4 DIMM slots?
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."