Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Showing results 11 to 20 of 20

SWTOR was fun, for a month. Then it sorta ended (for me.) A lot of people have told me "It was better than WOW when it first came out." Well... no shit. WOW is 10 years old and was one of the first games of its kind (UO and EQ being notable predecessors, those are even older...) Why does anyone compare WOW of 10 years ago with SWTOR today. By that standard, one could say something like: SWTOR had $200 million poured in, WOW had a budget of $63 million at launch. Adjust that for inflation, it comes out at something like $85 million of today's dolars. So, SWTOR (a $200 million dollar game today) is better than a ($85 million dollar game 10 years ago) at launch. ... If only the choices were "Shall I play WOW at launch, or SWTOR at launch..." TLDR: I was disappointed by SWTOR and 1.2 is too little too late.
    Last edited by Destahd : 03-30-2012 at 09:54 PM Reason: Broken formatting still broken

Its not the age of the technology its the amount of content. It takes awhile for the game to get big.

I am the very definition of a casual player. I have played nearly every MMO since EQ and have only reached max level in one (Horizons - several years after launch). Usually by the time I am nearing max level, an expansion comes out and raises it. But there was always plenty to do to fill my playstyle.

The problem with SWToR is people level too fast. People were hitting max level during the 5-day headstart - and not just the hardcore "I gotta be first to 50" crowd. If I hadn't started over on so many different servers and with so many different group combos, I'd have 2 or 3 level 50s by now.

No game can handle that many people rapidly rising to max level without having tons of max level content for them to play when they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRod_KS View Post
    No game can handle that many people rapidly rising to max level without having tons of max level content for them to play when they get there.

Exept Rift! I do not play Rift anymore.. but it has put out new, massive, content every few months or less in its one year. If new games in the future can keep up with that kind of service.. they have hope!
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

My two-sage team is now 33 and it does get harder to do heroics. The two H4's that you get right away on Alderaan, because of the mechanics of the elites landing/appearing instead of already being there are too difficult to handle quickly before either a companion or player dies. All the H2/H4 that don't have mobs "appear" are easy because of the crowd control you can prep before each pull. I'll see as I'm off on vacation this week and will try to get them to the 40s.

I like SWTOR, however, I like other posters started with EQ at launch and played that for seven glorious years. I had a guild, Chosen Circle on the Prexus server that met five times in different parts of the country, culminating in Oregon as I hosted the last one before we all quit EQ. I'm still close friends with two of those players, one who is in Chicago and one in Florida (who is playing SWTOR on the same server I am).

But... like every MMO I just get bored.

I doubt I'm going to upgrade my five WOW accounts to MoP when it comes out. I'm stuck with them all until November where I got sucked into the pay for a year and get a free mount thingy.

I'll take this team to 50 and see what I do after that. But with DIII coming out May 15, I know I'll be spending a lot of time in that - I loved all the Diablo series games.
    SWTOR -The Shadowlands Server - PVE Republic
    Malgor - 50 Soundrel Bonesaw : Hath - 50 Commando
    Wilma & Betti - 50 Dual-boxing Sages
    D3: Kaean#1993 and Malgor#1327

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    Ill probably revisit this game in a year or so, when there have been lots of game updates and such.. I had a lot of fun with it.. it was just lacking in too many ways, from a boxing perspective IMO. Now I am crossing my fingers for GW2 being boxable!
    After capping one duo at 50 and leveling a few more duos to the mid 30s, I'm kind of in the same boat. I enjoyed the game from an RPG perspective--no MMO I have played has captivated me in relation to storytelling in the manner TOR has--but the game's overall structure and mechanics simply didn't hook me the way I had hoped they would.

I've canceled my subscriptions as of today with the intent to play Guild Wars 2 when it eventually releases. That said, considering I'm a Star Wars fan, if I find that TOR receives a content update that rekindles my interest, I will gladly resubscribe. I honestly hope that we can get some basic macro functionality at some point, for one thing. IS is an awesome tool, and I've become fairly decent at dual-boxing in TOR with practice, but having some native macro integration would be a boon, also. Overall, dual-boxing in TOR is still a bit of a chore.

Still, yeah, 1.2 disappointed me by omitting the Legacy feature I was anticipating the most: xp customization. Since this feature is supposedly releasing with 1.3, I guess I might return to TOR then.

gl with GW2 its not gonna be very good did some beta testing of it and was dissapointed im sticking with Swtor. Alot of Great ideas are in this game alot of growth can come from it. I'm not a glass half empty type or a I want instant gratification. I want potential and a company that has good ideas and are working to implement them. Legacy is going to be awesome, and the ui was fine from the start short of scaling it. pretty much everything in the ui is where i put them my self in other games. Scaling is all it lacked. So the ui changes are going to be a big hit. new content is coming out new raid new flash points. PVP is getting revamped and going to have a leader board. So its good to see a company with good ideas listening to the player base and coming up with awesome content patches by month 3. To many people seen a 10 year old product and want everything out the box to be like that 10 year old product. BUt for get along the line that 10 year old product had its ups and downs. This company is trying to make a game that has similar ideas but also has new fresh ones. Some will be good some will be bad but every game every business is a learning experience.

On a side note. Boxing in this game has been really fun. No need for macros really. I use 2 key press in 1 step and it works great. also i use the focus modifier for healing. So i make 1 key on press targets my healer sets as focus then on release targets the tank and sets as focus. I do this to counter losing focus every cutscene. Then i have a keystroke action healing rotation. its a perfect healing rotation for her to spam on the tank and still stay at 100% Force. Then i have click bars set up to shield single target heal and purge the party memebers. And i have 1 click bar set up so she can casts her aoe heal at her feet thus hitting all the ranged. Ive done HM Black talon, Foundry, Boarding party, Flase emperor, Directive 7, Kaon. Only one i was unable to realy do was Battle for ilum.
    Last edited by cichard : 04-05-2012 at 04:21 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cichard View Post
    gl with GW2 its not gonna be very good did some beta testing of it and was dissapointed im sticking with Swtor. Alot of Great ideas are in this game alot of growth can come from it. I'm not a glass half empty type or a I want instant gratification. I want potential and a company that has good ideas and are working to implement them. Legacy is going to be awesome, and the ui was fine from the start short of scaling it. pretty much everything in the ui is where i put them my self in other games. Scaling is all it lacked. So the ui changes are going to be a big hit. new content is coming out new raid new flash points. PVP is getting revamped and going to have a leader board. So its good to see a company with good ideas listening to the player base and coming up with awesome content patches by month 3. To many people seen a 10 year old product and want everything out the box to be like that 10 year old product. BUt for get along the line that 10 year old product had its ups and downs. This company is trying to make a game that has similar ideas but also has new fresh ones. Some will be good some will be bad but every game every business is a learning experience.

On a side note. Boxing in this game has been really fun. No need for macros really. I use 2 key press in 1 step and it works great. also i use the focus modifier for healing. So i make 1 key on press targets my healer sets as focus then on release targets the tank and sets as focus. I do this to counter losing focus every cutscene. Then i have a keystroke action healing rotation. its a perfect healing rotation for her to spam on the tank and still stay at 100% Force. Then i have click bars set up to shield single target heal and purge the party memebers. And i have 1 click bar set up so she can casts her aoe heal at her feet thus hitting all the ranged. Ive done HM Black talon, Foundry, Boarding party, Flase emperor, Directive 7, Kaon. Only one i was unable to realy do was Battle for ilum.
    Glad your enjoying swtor! I have not heard anything negative about GW2 yet, besides what you said. I never get my hopes up, I'll give it a shot though. I like swtor, but for me its just not as fluid as many other MMOs and yea, it will get better in time.. and i will come back and try again when it does 8) For now, WoW still keeps me going.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Quote Originally Posted by cichard View Post

Well, good for you? Glad you're happy with what you have, but I can't say the same for myself. Keep in mind personal preference is subjective, and while TOR is solid game, the only actual attraction left in it for me is my friends/guild members.

Actually, as I said before, I am using IS to compensate for the lack of macros; I have it figured out in a manner that works fine (I got my initial setup from this very forum and then tweaked it to meet my specific needs), but, honestly, TOR is not nearly as boxer friendly as other MMOs out there, such as RIFT or WoW--IS is an absolute necessity if you're dual/multi-boxing on one computer. Say what you want, but that's a fact. I could dual-box alt-tabbing in WoW, which was how I got my start, actually. Impractical once I started using Keyclone much later, but with TOR, you can't even boot up two clients on one PC without IS, and that irks me. These aren't things that pertain to your entertainment level, maybe, but it's a minor peeve of mine, and while not a deal-breaker by any means if I was actually enjoying TOR, the lack of natively integrated convenience features that should be present in an MMO released at the end of 2011 is inconceivable to me considering TOR's allegedly massive budget.

(Yeah, I know the UI is getting an overhaul. That's a good start, anyway, yet I still contend the game should have launched with that feature.)

That said, I'm even reconsidering resubscribing once 1.2 hits--mostly because a close friend of mine who is new to MMOs is infatuated with TOR, and I'm happy we finally found an MMO we can play together--but that doesn't change my stance on the overall quality of the game mechanics (NOT class stories, which are fine as they are, from my perspective).

I've been around the block enough times to realize no MMO is going to be impeccable, nor did I assert that GW2 would be, either. It's another MMO that I'll check out when release is closer, just as I have with every other major MMO release. If it lasts me a few months, then I've derived enough entertainment value to warrant a purchase, just like TOR.
    Last edited by Kaelika : 04-05-2012 at 09:02 PM

@cichard - a couple of questions since it sounds like u are having a lot of success. 1. What is your group makeup? 2. Can you briefly explain focus to me? This is my first MMO and I feel like I can run ISBoxer really well, it's actually playing the MMO that I suck at.