Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default 4x PvP team suggestions

I previously played a 4-hunter team and found my distance destruction absolute, but could easily be decimated by a solo rogue if they caught me offguard, and my main hunter took more of a beating than she could handle.

Any suggestions for 4-man pvp? Thanks.

Blog Entries

In the expansion, 4x Ret Paladin.
    You could go with 1x Holy and 3x Ret, until then.

4x Frost DK's would work too.
    4x Elemental Shaman can work.

4x Any Healer, is great in larger BG's.

4x Feral Druids
    4x Enhance Shaman
    4x Disc Priest (Smite spam, heals)
    4x Shadow Priest

You have a lot more flexibility for battlegrounds and world pvp than for arena.
    In arena, if you want to do well... you need a very optimal team.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

I'm a triple boxer currently leveling the following sets:

Enhance Shamans(Done - At 80)
    Arcane Mages(PvE Done - At 80)
    Warlocks(70ish)
    Hunters(Not started)
    Ret Paladins(Not Started)

And I already have a team of 85 DKs.

Shadow priests are also supposed to be good in MoP. Druids also are not a terrible choice.
    Play what you find fun. If you want to chase rating go for paladins or DKs imo. I think a lot of people aren't giving Death Grip enough credit.
    I triple box on Arthas(US-PvP) and Magtheridon(US-PvP)
    I also have solo toons on Turalyon(my main raider) and Destromath

So rogues must be to hard to handle. I would think with all the cc and burst they would he awesome.
    They say spiders have 8 legs well i guess im a rare and unimaginable specimen. Ive got 9 legs and my web comes from that 9th leg. HaHa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    In the expansion, 4x Ret Paladin.
    Why Rets over DK's?

Quote Originally Posted by Apatheist View Post
    Why Rets over DK's?
    Cause of the healing they do/have. In general, rets have much more survivability than frost dk's.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    Cause of the healing they do/have. In general, rets have much more survivability than frost dk's.
    Sure, but self-healing is kind of a moot point if you have a competent healer. I can see them being fun to play in BG's, but in organized teams (5's or RBG's) you're always going to have a dedicated healer.

Doesn't matter how much you can heal for if you can't stay on top of a target and get kills. The only change I can see to Rets that's relevant to sticking on a target is the 50% snare to judgment (which is nice, but not enough, since almost every class in the game is getting an equal snare next xpac). They're still just as susceptable to snares, frost nova, fear, etc.

Unless I've missed some key changes, pretty sure DK's will still be top dog.
    Last edited by Apatheist : 04-05-2012 at 02:05 PM

Blog Entries

The question was 4-man pvp.
    It did not specify BG's, Arena with a Healer, Rated BG's, World PvP, etc.

4x Rets was the first suggestion.
    But 4x Frost DK's was the second.

Between the two, the main advantage seems to be:

The DK's can do a lot of damage at range.
    Howling Blast, is a 10 yard AoE with the initial target up to 30 yards away.
    So you can in theory hit someone 40 yards away, if they're in the splash burst.
    It applies a disease and snares.
    And a Frost DK can open with four Howling Blasts, without taking Runic Empowerment into consideration.

The Paladins have higher burst once they're in melee range.
    And their survival is also higher.
    With what we know of them for MoP, they'll perform similar to their pre-Holy Power era.
    With no cooldown on Judgement, and two Judgements giving an instant Flash of Light (x4 or x5)...
    That's basically a full heal every third global, not even looking at Word of Glory or other talents.
    The changes to Exorcism, make it an instant cast so they don't need to mess around with Art of War procs and resetting the swing timer, etc.
    5x Rets might have the survivability of 4x Frost DK's + 1x Healer (all five of each played by the same player).

Both classes have a few new toys.
    And will be fun compositions.
    Prior to the 4x DK & 1x Healer composition, 4x Ret's & 1x Frost DK was top dog (and was only dethroned, because of Holy Power messing up the rotation).
    Kromtor hit 2600 is 5's Arena with the 4x Ret/1x DK.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Removing the cooldown on Judgment will help a bit , I hadn't heard about that. Seems like that could even be overpowered, particularly combined with the Art of War changes. I think the biggest reason why DK's > Rets right now is their ability to stick on a target and not be kited. Rets have no gap closers, no grip and their only way to avoid CC (aside from trinkets) is on a 25 sec cooldown and is spellsteal-able). Seems like any competent Mage could ruin your day.

If Rets receive tools that help them stick on a target, I'll jump on the bandwagon. I've always preferred classes that can heal. Nothing more annoying than joining random BG's with no healers and having to hope you have 20 seconds between fights to eat.

- Edit

I've been reading up on Paladin changes since I posted this and I think I may have changed my mind. The way the first 2 talents worrk together (50% snare +45% speed for 3 seconds) plus the automatic 30 yard range on Judgment. Also, key point, I didn't see that Rets are getting a dispel for movement impairing effects. If this enables you to remove frost nova, they will be even more mobile than DK's. Pretty win!
    Last edited by Apatheist : 04-16-2012 at 03:47 PM