Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: i7 3820

Default i7 3820

Now im a little bit annoyed. 2 Weeks ago I went and bought the i7 2600. I didn't even think there would be other options. But i7 3820 is obviously better choise all around, as well as being cheaper.

I just want to ask. Does the 10mb cache as opposed to the 8mb in 2600 make much difference when it comes to multiboxing? How about better features like the Quad Channel memory(if I understood that one right)? Is it somehow better as well than in 2600?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiverrettu View Post
    Now im a little bit annoyed. 2 Weeks ago I went and bought the i7 2600. I didn't even think there would be other options. But i7 3820 is obviously better choise all around, as well as being cheaper.

I just want to ask. Does the 10mb cache as opposed to the 8mb in 2600 make much difference when it comes to multiboxing? How about better features like the Quad Channel memory(if I understood that one right)? Is it somehow better as well than in 2600?
    What game are you playing? How many instances?

But i7 3820 is obviously better choise all around, as well as being cheaper.
    Better at what?

Does the 10mb cache as opposed to the 8mb in 2600 make much difference when it comes to multiboxing?
    Probably not...

Quote Originally Posted by kaiverrettu
    How about better features like the Quad Channel memory(if I understood that one right)?
    It's a marketing term... it means very little in terms of gaming. Just like triple channel gives little to nothing over dual channel.

Note: I realize those benchmarks I linked are comparing the same system and here we're talking about 2 different systems. It's possible that you could squeeze out a few more frames using quad channel memory but, who is to say that WoW can even utilize all of that bandwidth in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiverrettu
    Is it somehow better as well than in 2600?
    What?

Looking at the benches it looks like if you're building a new machine... sure grab the 3820... if you're just looking to upgrade... you arent getting much if anything at all.

If you went and bought a 2600, I assume you already have an LGA 1155 motherboard to start with. If this is the case, then you would need to buy a new mobo to use the 3820 anyway. If you are building a new system and don't have the other parts, the price difference between the 2600 and the 3820 would likely be made up in the premium you will pay buying an LGA 2011 motherboard over an equivalent LGA 1155 socket board.

Performance wise, there is probably very little difference between the two systems if you are intending to 5 box WoW.

Only reason id get the 3820 over the 2600 is the RAM slots, you can make som crazy ramdisks :P.. for boxing/gaming id sure go for a 2600k (or wait for Ivy that is close to release now).
    Multiboxing WoW x 5
    Team Ioso 4 warriors 1 paladin
    Team Misterioso 4 DKs 1 paladin
    Grim Batol