Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Viability of melee teams?

So everybody is all the talk about boxing troopers, bounty hunters, ect... And I can clearly see the benefits/relative ease of doing so.

My question is though... Anybody tried boxing a team of Jedi/sigh yet? Know melee is always rougher them ranged... But should be none the less doable?

Thoughts? Comments?

i guess if you can charge in with your group of warriors or whatever this should be ok, but cant see it being as effective as ranged at this point of the game. but as i have only boxed ranged ill let someone else cast there views

i was going to try that tonight before shut down. I know SWs will autoface targets that are in range. They have the leap ability.. so I think its very doable.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

PvP

every 15 seconds, you can DPS someone. in-between your team will be pulled, thrown, and blasted apart. not to mention aoe'd to death.

play one melee character for a while, and you will see what I mean

there are MANY ways to get a melee off of you, and there are MANY escapes, and MANY more AoE knockbacks, which are fun to use, any anytime there are 2 people in a line, everyone with the aoe knockback is going to be giggling with an erection waiting to knock you all around creation.

PvE

/profit

Heh.... Sorry... Mean of course for pve boxing purposes. Clearly pvp would be a disadvantage to be a melee boxer.

Didn't have 2 Accounts for beta weekend.. But played melee extensively. Saw slot of possible issues. All the knockbacks... Enemy npc's moving around during combat... He'll.. Companions(even with taunts off) pulling mobs away from you causing you to have to chase... Hard to keep a team if melee together an tightly formed I imagine.

Then again... I was able to successfully box a full team of melee in lotto when most people said it was impractical. Though in hind-sight... Not sure if I'd do that again.

Just really liking the thought visually of an all lightsaber team.. Ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by warweasel View Post
    Just really liking the thought visually of an all lightsaber team.. Ya know?
    Sith Sorcerers baby! Lightsaber Ranged class! SWs can use force leap to close the distance..just have to time it right. But for PvP..yea, not good. Also in PvE i never have mobs running around.. a simple follow command will keep the melee alts in range.. They have that autoface feature.. so as long as they are in melee range, they will face the target and attack.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

yeah I think for PvE, you are golden, but melee and ranged do different dmg, and there are gimmicks in Flashpoints which may make a melee team very difficult..

I am probably going to go Marauder (semi-tanky) with a sorc or operative in tow. great AoE melee dmg with great heals? yes, pls.

In warzones melee teams will probably not work very well. In open world PvP they should be fine. Less obstacles in the way, ya you will get knocked around but if people have your back and are healing you should light people up.

Remember autoface only works in PvP if the ability is channeled or has a cast time and you begin casting WITH LoS.

For this reason I can say Operatives followed by Assassins will be easily the best melee based teams. Operatives have SOME range, fantastic self healing and insane burst. Assassins have plenty of utility, some range and the all important stealth (as do operatives) to get in close for the kill shot. Juggs and Marauders(higher sustained however) both have less burst than an Operative, slightly to much higher mitigation, better closers, but no real self healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoi View Post
    PvP

every 15 seconds, you can DPS someone. in-between your team will be pulled, thrown, and blasted apart. not to mention aoe'd to death.

PvE

/profit
    QFT

This is so amazingly spot on. I was Sith Juggernaut(tank) I reached lvl 38 and the amount of stuns and knockbacks everyone had was amazing. I was mvp a bunch of times but fuck if I know why. Also the pvp ( ButtBall..seriously?) is I hope just a preview to some kind of arena in the future.
    Last edited by Fat Tire : 11-30-2011 at 06:17 PM