Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default ssh tunnel for wow

Since 3 days, quite a few people have an increased ms during prime time. Once after midnight it drops back to normal and in the afternoon it's playable as well. Made a thread, bliz is aware of the prob, and whatnot. Anyway, with my guild we are currently progressing on ragnaros hard mode, and it's not exactly a fight where you wanna be late and stand in goo.

Managed to beat the bottleneck through creating an ssh tunnel on a remote machine I have. Now I wanna make that available for a few maters/guildies who might suffer from it. In linux I know how to do this, but wondering how to do this in windows 7. I manage to make a socks5 tunnel through a putty session and use it with firefox, but I have no real idea how to relay wow over the tunnel.

So figured some boxers migth know this: is there any software available that -after setting up a ssh tunnel - lets you handpick what software (wow) should use the tunnel? Or even a tool that makes all traffic use the tunnel by default? Preferabel a free and/or open source solution. Or maybe any basic instructions on how to do this yourself?

Cheers
    z
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Zenga, Send me a PM and i'll throw you a link i ran across after doing some quick research on that problem you're having. I think i found out how to do it, going to continue reading up on it.

Beware I've seen complaints of people being banned without notice for playing the game through a ssh tunnel. Apparently Blizzard mistook them for "hidden" bots, hackers or whatnot during a ban wave. This was a few months ago though, not sure their "policy" on this matter has evolved since then...
    Dualboxing on a computer running Linux & MoW.
    EU-Uldaman

I've been using an SSH tunnel to play ever since I moved servers... my latency blows... throw up an SSH tunnel bam 80MS

A cheap and easy alternative ... smoothping.com

Hi Zenga,

maybe you want to take a look at a tool named putty. This is a windows SSH Client, which i used at work when i was forced to use windows. A little hint: Don't use the windows ssh. It is buggy in some cases.

cheers, and as said in my post, I manage to make a tunnel through putty, the thing is that you need to tell the wow client to use the socks proxy. A browser has default support for proxies, many other apps don't. So for now a putty tunnel in combination with proxifier does the trick. There is a 31 fully working trial avaibale, so let's hope by then the probs are solved with our realm.

I've also been looking into a solution where they seem to create a virtual network interface for the tunnel, and then redirect predefined apps over that interface. But I'm afraid that is going to be a bit too complex to explain guildies/friends.

Still can't believe that there is no opensource tool who does this though, so I keep on searching and if I come accross what I'm looking for, I'll post here.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

take a look a "socat". it's the socket swiss army knife for linux and iirc there's some kind of windows port/cygwin/etc..

EDIT: didn't read it, but may be what you're looking for: http://linuxtechres.blogspot.com/201...n-windows.html

EDIT2: make sure you also take a look at "TOR - The Onion Router" and especially the "socksify" command. there could be some windows port out there..
    Last edited by zined : 10-09-2011 at 04:54 PM

I was wondering about the latency issue, One of the reasons I had stopped playing months ago was because sometimes in the evening the game was unplayable, played yesterday for the first time in months, was fine during the day but eventually it went to hell and I couldn't get my team to enter an instance, and had 1000 ms ping times. I may just bag it for good this time.

Default How does the SSH help?

I don't understand how this helps unless your routing traffic around a bottle neck.

Do you have a better ping time to the remote PC which somehow has a better ping time to Blizzard?
    X Five, a Galakrond alliance guild for multiboxers
    pally/shaman (thiliander/xenoca) , Shaman/Hunters (Zhedrar), Priest/Warlocks(Yarili,Yarlii,Yariil,Yarlli,Yarill)