Close
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 55

Default Hermes - a new cooldown addon

Hermes

This new addon has a lot of potential for solving the long-standing problem of tracking cooldowns on slaves. It is very easy to set up and use. The only issue with it from a multiboxing perspective currently is that it is raid-only. The author has stated he plans to add party support at a later date.

Oh, I am not the author.

Alge

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing.
    It looks to have decent potential for us.

Rated battlegrounds, is a raid environment.
    But it would be nice for using in a party, for questing or heroics.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Rated Arena Member

Thanks Alge.

From the author (posted 1h ago):

"I had a good test run last night in an ICC + Ulduar clear. I'm much more confident about the stability. I'll be adding Party support and have it tested and uploaded before the weekend ends."

Great news
    Grim Batol (EU) Horde - Is Multiboxing

good find.

this indeed is a "long-standing problem of tracking cooldowns on slaves". the add-on will get a lot of usage.

Default Party support now in

The author has now added party support. There is also some discussion about proposed functionality over at the curse page linked above.

Alge

Hi, I'm the author. I ran into this forum via Google search. I was caught off guard by the dual-box community having a use for this.

Oddly enough, I used to dual box a bit (only two accounts) but never got into it anymore than alt tabbing between windows The good news though is that I do have an understanding of some of the complexities (I did experiment when various popular tools for sharing key strokes, arranging windows, etc.). Just enough to have a lot of respect for you folks.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread,
    Last edited by Paperplate : 11-21-2010 at 07:16 PM

Btw, I just realized you are the perfect people to seek some ideas from. I've been working on a way to "drag out" a spell so that you can see the cooldown info withou relying on the hover tooltip.

Here's a quick video I made so you can get the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLGIM9EaG3I

What I still haven't figured out is a *compact* way to show the data when it's pulled out like that. I despise timer bars with a passion.

The best idea I had so far is a pretty simple one. Something like this (Where "Ready" might be a checkbox instead of text):

Code:

[S1][Player1 Ready]
         [Player2 0:20]
         [Player3 0:57]
    No timer bars, just name and time, and probably limited to a small handful of players instead of all of them. As concerns raiding, we generally want to know who has the spell available. So if there were 5 people all with the spell on cooldown I'd show only the first 3 for example.

An alternative might be...
    Code:

[S1][Player1 Ready][Player2 0:20][Player3 0:57]
    Or perhaps even something more compact where names get truncated based on how wide you set the box...
    Code:

[S1][Pl.. Ready][Pl.. 0:20][Pl.. 0:57]
    Code:

[S1][Pl.. Ready]
          [Pl.. 0:20]
          [Pl.. 0:57]
    I'd think these compact choices would be terrible for you though.

My main concern is to be "compact", "unobtrusive" and "without distraction".

Blog Entries

If the display showed the first five names, or even a configurable number of names, that would be great for us.
    Possibly a group mode and a raid mode.

Just throwing around ideas.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Thumbs up

The above screenshot shows how I currently use Hermes. The bartender bars are set up in the same arrangement as my G13 and I monitor the cooldowns on my main (pally in this shot) using those. I too am not a fan of cooldown bars and have moved away from them in my UIs, preferring to use buttons.

Above the bartender bars is Hermes, tracking 6 cooldowns (although having Chain Lightning there is pretty pointless) on my 4 shaman slaves.

I see an immediate use for the drag and drop functionality in mirroring the key layout of my G13, but for my slaves. Of course this wouldn't work as simply for a mixed-class group.

Another use for the drag-and-drop might be to allow custom ordering of the spells being monitored.

I have some ideas for dragging-out spells. Will post again after I have played around with some mockups.

Rated Arena Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paperplate View Post
    Hi, I'm the author. I ran into this forum via Google search. I was caught off guard by the dual-box community having a use for this.

Oddly enough, I used to dual box a bit (only two accounts) but never got into it anymore than alt tabbing between windows The good news though is that I do have an understanding of some of the complexities (I did experiment when various popular tools for sharing key strokes, arranging windows, etc.). Just enough to have a lot of respect for you folks.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread,
    Welcome Paperplate,

Thank you for your great addon. We've been needing it for quite some time.
    Is a party proc warning something in your plans for this addon? This is also one of our most urgent needs and we've been looking forward to it.

Cheers,
    A.
    Grim Batol (EU) Horde - Is Multiboxing