Close
Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Managing DoT's?

Default Managing DoT's?

'Lo,

I haven't played anything with a DoT since they removed the timed delay (,,,,,,,,) on castsequence macros. What's the most efficient way to manage them at the moment (Flame shock, specifically)?

Cheers!

Probably about like you manage holy power/combo point abilities nowadays. Either A) put it in a castsequence that guesstimates the time it will last and weaves them in roughly the right spots, or B) add a second button to reapplying things before you switch back to your normal spam button.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

For Elemental Shaman single target dps, I use the following setup:

Spam button:

/click BT4Button6
    /castsequence reset=5 Flame Shock,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Earth Shock,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt
    /cast Lava Burst
    /cast Elemental Mastery

Macro on BT4Button6:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=10 Call of the Elements, null

Spam button clicks Totem macro to drop before every fight, Flame Shock on the castsequence is up the whole time, been a while since I played, but this allows the use of both FS and ES since they use the same cooldown. Also allow for combat on the move if you glyph Lightning Bolt to be cast while moving, which helps. Adjusting the number of Lightning Bolts between shocks may be needed to allow for the cooldown on FS/ES since haste is taken into account. The more haste you have, the more LBs you'll need between each to prevent hangups.

For mobs:

/click BT4Button6
    /castsequence Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt,Lightning Bolt
    /cast Chain Lightning
    /click BT4Button9
    /cast Elemental Mastery

Again, drops totems first, then casts

on BT4Button9:

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=target Flame Shock, Fire Nova, Fire Nova, Fire Nova,

Enjoy

Learn how to use fillers between the allotted time givin on DoTs. If one lasts for 14 seconds, start a /castsequence with them, then place whatever spells you can use after them to make up the rest of the time. Casting speeds, cooldowns on the spells effect the /castsequence. Watch for spells that have their casting speed and/or cooldowns lowered by haste. Clipping a DoT by a second or having a second between refreshing them is ok, two or more seconds on either end is what you want to try and avoid. Especially if the DoTs have high mana costs. Multiboxing, most mobs outside of boss fights/pvp, the players/npcs usually don't last long enough for clipping to occur. Another thing to watch for are extra fillers like the Lava Burst one listed above. The more it procs, the more it's cast, adding time to the /castsequence. My Flame Shock setup on my mage is the same way. I can list that also if you need a good Fire mage setup for dots.
    Last edited by lans83 : 07-20-2011 at 07:46 PM