Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Showing results 11 to 18 of 18

Tehtsuo, when you hit the repeating key with the n52, does it hinder your gameplay in any way? When i press the button with my g15, it sends the key press at a rate of like 60+ times a second causing my combat log to fill with spell cast errors and freeze my game the whole time it's held down.

Ziran, same question. Will it lag your game using the x-keys footpedal?

Anyone else use a G15 to do a repeat key and not have the problem i'm describing?

Just to clarify. I'm not looking to do anything fancy. Hell, I don't even need to buff with the repeat key. It would be nice just to hit the "1" button repeatedly with an interval that is slow enough not to freeze my game. I just want to cast the same spell over and over.

I just tried to adjust the repeat delay inside of windows and the g15 is still hammering the button down like a jackhammer. I'm starting to think my g15 is a lemon, because when i hit the button in notepad, it'll fill it up and not stop even after releasing the button or tapping it again. I have to force notepad to close or it won't quit.
    Absolute Power
    10 Boxing: Priest, Mage, Paladin x2, Warlock x2, Shaman x4
    Karazhan - 9 out of 11
    The Curator, Terestian Illhoof, Prince Malchezaar

Repeating keys are against the TOS.

Blizz wants, 1 press of a key, to do 1 spell and that's it. Not 1 press of a key, do a spell.. do the spell again... do the spell again.
    [align=center]5-boxing - Paladin, Shaman, 3x Mages[/align]
    WC-20,VC-25,SFK-25,BFD-27,Stk-27,RFK-29,Gnm-31,SM (G-32,L-34,A-35,C-36),RFD-41,ULD-42,ZF-46,Mar(O-47, P-48, I-48],ST-52,BRD-54,62,LBRS-62,Strt-63,DM-63,Paly Mt Qt-63, Schl-63
    HR-63,BF-64,SP-64(2/3)68(3/3),UB-68,MT-67,AC-0/2,Seth-1/2,SH-1/4

Best I could find in the TOU that has anything to do with this is:

4. Limitations on Your Use of the Service.

b. You agree that you will not (i) modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Program or the Service; (ii) create or use cheats, bots, "mods", and/or hacks, or any other third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience; or (iii) use any third-party software that intercepts, "mines", or otherwise collects information from or through the Program or the Service. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may update the Program with authorized patches and updates distributed by Blizzard, and Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third party user interfaces.
    But this talks about a variety of more malicious behaviors and I'm sure a repeating key doesn't fall into this catagory.

Then there is the real winner here:

5. Rules of Conduct.

C. Rules Related to Game Play

3. Anything that Blizzard considers contrary to the "essence" of the Program.

Which is Blizzard's all-purpose ban tool. However that is so vague that you'll have to show me other information outside of the TOU and EULA that says a repeating key is contrary to the "essence" of the program.

I haven't found anything in the EULA or TOU that would cause me to believe holding down "A" instead of hammering "A" is a violation.

Regardless. I'm sure there are still people that use them and haven't gotten banned and aren't worried about it.

Let's just continue the thread on-topic with the disclaimer that it could possibily be against the "essence" so we all can be aware of the risk. There are obviously members of this forum that have used this function from their hardware devices for a long time and haven't had any problems.

If there is anyone that has experience with using the hardware/software, but doesn't want the inquisition to see them admit to it, please send me a personal message.

References:

[http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html] TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

[http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/eula.html] END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
    Absolute Power
    Karazhan - 9 out of 11

I doubt the repeating key while you hold down the key is so bad, but sticky key that repeats while you are not holding it down would be. Since in theory that allows you to play the game without being at the keyboard yourself.

Removed any mention of the toggle function because it's derailing the focus of the topic.
    Absolute Power
    Karazhan - 9 out of 11

Default RE: G15, x-keys, repeating keypress function

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nixi',index.php?page=Thread&postID=36747#post3674 7
    G1 key is programmed to "8 press down, 8 release, 9 press down, 9 release" I then set the key to repeat mode, where i press it and hold it to have it repeat and then release it to stop repeating.
    From what I've read and learned so far I believe what I quoted might get you in trouble, getting two actions that trigger the global cooldown for 1 physical keypress (whether you are holding it down to spam it or pressing the G1 key only once). To my knowledge any non combat actions can be macro'd/programmed, etc. without problem, it's when the global cooldown is triggered that you need 1:1.

If you want to be a one-button wonder you need to macro a castsequence and then spam that one key, if you plan it right between your toons you can have them all do different things triggered by that 1 key and tie it to something you are constantly doing on your main toon.

Personally I like choosing my heals and casts (and if I spammed flash heal on my priest I'd go oom fast) but as I play with more toons (mixed classes) it's getting more complicated and am so having to practice a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Fursphere',index.php?page=Thread&postID=37294#pos t37294
    Not sure if this is relevant or not...

But last night I had to smash my G15. Everytime I would type 4+ keys, it would auto-backspace and delete three of them. LIke.. typing "BACK" would type out "B... A... C.... <backspace when I hit the k>.

Unplugging... rebooting... different PCs... etc... nothing helped. Finally I got annoyed and smashed it with my first (like a hammer). Space bar whet flying....
    Woohoo! Some PvK action! 8o

Kidding aside, I did that years ago after getting very frustrated and my hand and wrist hurt so much I've never done it again, I think I lost that round.

Default RE: RE: G15, x-keys, repeating keypress function

Quote Originally Posted by 'Xar',index.php?page=Thread&postID=37271#post37271

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nixi',index.php?page=Thread&postID=36747#post3674 7
    G1 key is programmed to "8 press down, 8 release, 9 press down, 9 release" I then set the key to repeat mode, where i press it and hold it to have it repeat and then release it to stop repeating.
    From what I've read and learned so far I believe what I quoted might get you in trouble, getting two actions that trigger the global cooldown for 1 physical keypress (whether you are holding it down to spam it or pressing the G1 key only once). To my knowledge any non combat actions can be macro'd/programmed, etc. without problem, it's when the global cooldown is triggered that you need 1:1.

If you want to be a one-button wonder you need to macro a castsequence and then spam that one key, if you plan it right between your toons you can have them all do different things triggered by that 1 key and tie it to something you are constantly doing on your main toon.

Personally I like choosing my heals and casts (and if I spammed flash heal on my priest I'd go oom fast) but as I play with more toons (mixed classes) it's getting more complicated and am so having to practice a lot more.
    I guess it was poor planning to have the Gkey hit "8" and "9" on my part; my totem cast sequence is on my shaman (button 8 ), and the smart buff button is on the other toons (button 9). So i'm only getting 1:1 GCD per character when the button is pressed. I can move my totem cast sequence to button 9 on the shaman and just map the 9 to the G1 and turn on the "repeat while pressed down" option. This would use smartbuff on my buffers and totems on the shaman.

Now I don't even feel like going that route. If I'm going to use a repeating key it's going to be for my "open fire" button that is the attack castsequence on all the clones. But I still have the same problem. My G15 keyboard is pulsing the key too fast and locking up my wow client. I just want another potential hardware option. I really appreciate the replies I got so far about the n52 and the x-keys. I'm pricing the shipping on the x-keys now and it's a whopping 72 dollars. ($362 total for the xkey pro and footpedal plus shipping) I think I can buy an n52 at my location, but deciding on the xkeys works like this for me right now, "more buttons, or another monitor".
    Absolute Power
    Karazhan - 9 out of 11