Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: ready, set, go

Default ready, set, go

Hi all, been reading this forum for quite a long time and finally the time has come to multibox, wont bother you with my pc's parts, i guess the most someone can spenf hthe better it is i just need a confirmation on something i cant seem to track in the forum anymore. i will use a ssd 120gb to run the windons and the game.. Am i correct when i say that i will but 4 more copies of the gane but i can run the 5 boxing thing form the one install with diferent WTF files for each account? i could really use some guidance here or some helpful link, ty

Yes you can run the game 5x from 1 folder. There are methods to 'virtualize' your wtf folder. However my best results are to run the game from 2 folders (on 2 different hard disks). 1 for the main, and 1 for the slaves.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    Yes you can run the game 5x from 1 folder. There are methods to 'virtualize' your wtf folder. However my best results are to run the game from 2 folders (on 2 different hard disks). 1 for the main, and 1 for the slaves.

thats smething i never thought of and sounds like a good idea since th slaves will be running in low settings anyway... will try that as well, among any others i guess, ty

Quote Originally Posted by Nec View Post
    Hi all, been reading this forum for quite a long time and finally the time has come to multibox, wont bother you with my pc's parts, i guess the most someone can spenf hthe better it is i just need a confirmation on something i cant seem to track in the forum anymore. i will use a ssd 120gb to run the windons and the game.. Am i correct when i say that i will but 4 more copies of the gane but i can run the 5 boxing thing form the one install with diferent WTF files for each account? i could really use some guidance here or some helpful link, ty
    I have a folder called WoW. It is on my e:. I make a copy of that folder, everything except Data inside e:\wow is copied 5 times. For sanity's sake I name the copies to all the acounts I have, i.e. e:\account1, e:\account2, etc.

I then go into each account folder (e:\account1\) and make a symbolic link to the Data folder in e:\wow: mklink /D Data e:\wow\data

Do that for each account folder and you are done. You know have seperate interface and WTF folders for each account.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance

Quote Originally Posted by d0z3rr View Post
    I have a folder called WoW. It is on my e:. I make a copy of that folder, everything except Data inside e:\wow is copied 5 times. For sanity's sake I name the copies to all the acounts I have, i.e. e:\account1, e:\account2, etc.

I then go into each account folder (e:\account1\) and make a symbolic link to the Data folder in e:\wow: mklink /D Data e:\wow\data

Do that for each account folder and you are done. You know have seperate interface and WTF folders for each account.

Cool, i'll try that as well, tnx

Blog Entries

If your software virtualizes the Config file, then there is nothing to be gained from multiple copies of the game. Run the single install, and let the virtualization of the Config file get you your various settings (higher/lower video/sound options). If this is the case, I'd stick one copy of the entire game onto the SSD (or if you're worried about space, you can use SymLinks so 15-50mb of the 15-20gb install is elsewhere).

Since you have an SSD drive, you will likely want your Config, Data and Interface folders to reside on the SSD.
    It is optional if you want the entire folder there (which is what I've done on mine), or just these folders while you use symbolic links (symlinks) to copies of your warcraft folder located either on the SSD or another drive. The SSD has under 1ms seek/access times, and faster sequential reads then a non-SSD drive, so with an SSD I would not even consider running other warcraft installs from another drive.

If your software does not virtualize the config file, and you want different levels of settings (ie, A: Everything on, for one-box raiding; B: Most things on for the Master/Lead toon; C: Almost everything off, for the Slave/Follower toons), Symbolic Links lets you have three copies of Warcraft on your system. The main install will be the full 15-20GB. The copied folders (without Cache, Data or Interface folders), will each be under 50MB.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    If your software virtualizes the Config file, then there is nothing to be gained from multiple copies of the game. Run the single install, and let the virtualization of the Config file get you your various settings (higher/lower video/sound options). If this is the case, I'd stick one copy of the entire game onto the SSD (or if you're worried about space, you can use SymLinks so 15-50mb of the 15-20gb install is elsewhere).

Since you have an SSD drive, you will likely want your Config, Data and Interface folders to reside on the SSD.
    It is optional if you want the entire folder there (which is what I've done on mine), or just these folders while you use symbolic links (symlinks) to copies of your warcraft folder located either on the SSD or another drive. The SSD has under 1ms seek/access times, and faster sequential reads then a non-SSD drive, so with an SSD I would not even consider running other warcraft installs from another drive.

If your software does not virtualize the config file, and you want different levels of settings (ie, A: Everything on, for one-box raiding; B: Most things on for the Master/Lead toon; C: Almost everything off, for the Slave/Follower toons), Symbolic Links lets you have three copies of Warcraft on your system. The main install will be the full 15-20GB. The copied folders (without Cache, Data or Interface folders), will each be under 50MB.
    Well my original thought was to use everything on SSD thats why i m going for 120 GB one, i am going to ue ISoxercause so far it seems pretty easy to begin with and from what i've seen it does virtualize the config files so i will give it a try for sure... ty