Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Keyclone, G15, and Keymapping

Yesterday i picked up a G15 keyboard. I tried unsuccessfully to bind some key-combos to the G-keys. They worked and the keymaps worked with keyclone, but they key-combos that i picked ALSO did stuff on my main that wasn't mapped to that key-combo.

For example:
    • shift-alt-F11 worked fine to send the keymap out, but also opened bag 4 (shift-F11 behavior),
    • shift-alt-2 worked fine to send the keymap, but also switched to page 2 of my main's hotkeys (shift-2 behavior),
    • shift-cntl-3 worked fine to send the keymap, but also told my pet to be aggressive (cntl-3 behavior)
    The question, what key-combos have you been using successfully with a G15 and keyclone to send keymaps to alts without messing with actions on your main? A possibility is that i have an addon that is messing with the key-combo functionality (i will try using a not modded wow when the servers come back up).

Thanks for sharing;

Sojolly

There is some weirdness with the G15 and extended keystrokes, but I can't remember the details right now. I'll post my notes on it when I get home tonight.

However, the behaviour you describe is a feature of the WoW client. When it finds an extended keystroke that it can't map directly, it "helpfully" tries to find a closest match.

The way to avoid this is to have a "DoNothing" macro, which is completely empty, and to which you bind all of the keys which cause this side-effect.

You need a toolbar manager, such as Bongos, to... a) bind keys to macros without wasting a toolbar slot, and... b) bind more than two keys to the action.

As I understand it, if you use Keyclone then you could simply add such keys to the "do not pass" list instead, but I've never experimented with that functionality.

Another fun one is if you have a G15 keyboard to hit something with SHIFT as a modifier and hit a number 1-6, your main toolbar will probably page.

I've gotten around this by using the beta drivers for the G15 and a custom lua script to map G1-G18 to F13-F24 and some other rather odd keystrokes. These keystrokes are NOT recognized by WoW, however Keyclone does recognize them and Keymaps allow you to turn them into normal keys on the receiving end.

This was no easy task and involved a fair bit of programming, I'll have to see if I can't rework it and document what I do so others can utilize it.
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Quote Originally Posted by 'zanthor',index.php?page=Thread&postID=30065#post3 0065
    Another fun one is if you have a G15 keyboard to hit something with SHIFT as a modifier and hit a number 1-6, your main toolbar will probably page.

I've gotten around this by using the beta drivers for the G15 and a custom lua script to map G1-G18 to F13-F24 and some other rather odd keystrokes. These keystrokes are NOT recognized by WoW, however Keyclone does recognize them and Keymaps allow you to turn them into normal keys on the receiving end.

This was no easy task and involved a fair bit of programming, I'll have to see if I can't rework it and document what I do so others can utilize it.
    I use SHIFT+1-8 all the time without problems on a G15 and AHK. Just 'unmap' the default toolbar page functions in the WoW keybindings.
    Ex-WoW 5-boxer.
    Currently playing:
    Akama [Empire of Orlando]
    Zandantilus - 85 Shaman, Teebow - 85 Paladin, Kodex - 85 Rogue.

Definitely going to 4-box Diablo 3 after testing the beta for how well this would work.

Quote Originally Posted by '-silencer-',index.php?page=Thread&postID=30084#post30084

Quote Originally Posted by 'zanthor',index.php?page=Thread&postID=30065#post3 0065

I use SHIFT+1-8 all the time without problems on a G15 and AHK. Just 'unmap' the default toolbar page functions in the WoW keybindings.
    exactly, this is a keybinding issue not a keyclone or a G15 issue. Any time I ever had 'unexpected' behavior using key macros on either my G15 or n52 it was always due to some default keybinding I forgot to remove in WoW, after doing that everything worked like a charm.
    http://pewpewsquad.blogspot.com/ http://www.stage6.com/user/pewpewss/videos/
    Team 1- 5 shamans <The PewPew Squad> Team2 - <Y o u Lo se> 70 druid, 70 shaman, 1 paladin, 24 mage, 1 mage
    Team 1 -> <1--10--20--30--40--44--50--60--70>

Ok, here are the rather cryptic notes from my random scribblings when I was setting my G-Keys up:

Note: SHIFT+ALT does not trigger ALT, but CTRL+ALT does!

All combinations of CTRL trigger CTRL

SHIFT+ALT doesn't work via G Keys!!!

Modified keys TRIGGER non-modified key!!!!
    Make of that what you will (it probably means as much to you as it does to me now!!), but as I said I reckon your original problem is unrelated to Keyclone / G-Keys and more to do with the client's intended behaviour.

I had no end of issues with this when I started out. I had setup my keys to be Ctrl-Shift-Q, W, E etc ... and boy that caused some mess. There are several ways to fix this. The way I did it? I have Bongos, and I created a button that is hidden until I mouse-over. I go into key bindings, and then methodically bind every key that I DON'T want to pass to that button (this button does not do anything). I then go to the specific toon that needs the special keybindind and bind just that key for them (or for the 2 that need it). QWEASD (or any shift/ctrl/Alt combination thereof) should probably be bound in this way.

Hope this helps.
    5 Boxing (85):
    Paladin, 2xMage, Warlock, Priest
    Paldius, Magria, Magrib, Walina, Priset
    Currently:
    5 Boxing (85):
    Paladin, 3xWarlock, Shaman
    Ghallo, Warlisia, Warlisib, Warlisic, Pleo!

Excellent advice Ghallo. It must be, because it's exactly what I said in my first response:

The way to avoid this is to have a "DoNothing" macro, which is completely empty, and to which you bind all of the keys which cause this side-effect.

It's worth noting that Bongos allows you to assign keys direcrtly to a macro, without having it taking up a toolbar slot at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Otlecs',index.php?page=Thread&postID=30324#post30 324
    Excellent advice Ghallo. It must be, because it's exactly what I said in my first response:

It's worth noting that Bongos allows you to assign keys direcrtly to a macro, without having it taking up a toolbar slot at all.
    Doh!
    5 Boxing (85):
    Paladin, 2xMage, Warlock, Priest
    Paldius, Magria, Magrib, Walina, Priset
    Currently:
    5 Boxing (85):
    Paladin, 3xWarlock, Shaman
    Ghallo, Warlisia, Warlisib, Warlisic, Pleo!