Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default A couple questions for a total n00b to multi-boxing.

Hello all, as stated in the subject line I am a newbie to multi-boxing and relatively new to macros in general(even though ive been playin wow for about a year lol). My first exposure to multi-boxing actually came yesterday when I saw an undead mage in alterac valley quad-boxing which looked SO cool, I have 2 accounts so i figured I would try it out. I am using one PC with keyclone. Now my first question is:

1 - The mage I saw was able to keep all 4 toons stacked on top of each other(standing in the exact same spot) the entire time, except when he was moving. Is there a macro or configuration in keyclone I can setup to do what he did? Currently I have WADS unmapped on the 2nd account and the 1st account set to follow, so the alt is CLOSE but not standing in the exact same spot(which is what i'd prefer).

2 - The most annoying thing about multi-boxing is when I'm trying to attack a particular target and one of the toons is facing the wrong direction. Perhaps I'm just lazy, but is there a macro or addon that i can use to have the alt account automatically face whatever the main account is targetting? Or is there a way to have mouse-look duplicate across both accounts?

The only macros I have setup right now are ones for "/follow <Character Name>" and "/assist <Character Name>"

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problems getting my mages to face the target sometimes as well (I'm too lazy to fix things up properly at the moment) so usually I'll just walk a bit closer toward the mob and then hit the /follow macro and they turn around, then its go-time. As for the stacking up, I'm using a /follow macro so my alts stack up behind my main. I'm not sure if you can set the follow distance through the wow interface settings or not. Perhaps he was actually moving all his characters with key clone instead of using a /follow macro?

Default RE: A couple questions for a total n00b to multi-boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by 'DredWynd',index.php?page=Thread&postID=29882#post 29882
    1 - The mage I saw was able to keep all 4 toons stacked on top of each other(standing in the exact same spot) the entire time, except when he was moving. Is there a macro or configuration in keyclone I can setup to do what he did? Currently I have WADS unmapped on the 2nd account and the 1st account set to follow, so the alt is CLOSE but not standing in the exact same spot(which is what i'd prefer).
    Not that I am aware of. You can stop running by pressing the back key and take a step or 2 back and the clones following you will probably end up close to on top of you. The danger is that if you walk too far back your clones will turn around.

2 - The most annoying thing about multi-boxing is when I'm trying to attack a particular target and one of the toons is facing the wrong direction. Perhaps I'm just lazy, but is there a macro or addon that i can use to have the alt account automatically face whatever the main account is targetting? Or is there a way to have mouse-look duplicate across both accounts?
    Short answer is no. There are no macros or addons that will make you face a target especially since this can be used against classes like rogues where abilities like backstab and mutilate have positional requirements.

People have attempted different approaches with various levels of success where the most successful is probably running multiple machines with wireless mouse recievers and attempting to keep the mouse position synced on all machines. I think most of us just work around the issue although getting fear bombed can really screw with your positioning.

The only macros I have setup right now are ones for "/follow <Character Name>" and "/assist <Character Name>"
    Some more issues you might run into are targeted AoE spells like Blizzard which requires you to click with the mouse and cannot be macrod.
    The Orcks of War
    Shaman Borck Zorck Dorck Porck Corck
    Mixed Team - Msblonde - Mswhite - Msblack - Msred - Msbrown -

Default RE: RE: A couple questions for a total n00b to multi-boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by 'thinus',index.php?page=Thread&postID=29891#post29 891
    Some more issues you might run into are targeted AoE spells like Blizzard which requires you to click with the mouse and cannot be macrod.
    I haven't even bothered learning Blizzard on my mages because it looks like it would be a heap of trouble trying to find a way around the targeting system.

Are you running on 1 monitor?

2 accounts running on 2 monitors is a bit more manageable but if you are running 2 overlapping windows it makes things difficult. If you have a single screen in decent resolution you can look at splitting the screen horizontally so 1 session is at the top and the other at the bottom. And if you turn auto focus on mouse over on in your O/S it also helps.

Nothing is quick and easy when it comes to the mouse though.
    The Orcks of War

Were you asking me or Dred?

Lol, Dred. I just assumed it was Dred that replied. I am not fully awake today.
    The Orcks of War

Thank you for your responses. Ended up playing with it for a few hours last night and am starting to get used to it. I ended up just binding Q and E for the alt account to make it turn towards the target and this has made things much more bearable. Since I changed character combos to warrior/pally it doesn't really matter if the two are on top of each other, I was just curious how the guy did it.

To answer thinus' question I am using a single 22" WS monitor(1680x1050 res.), with the two WoW windows side by side. I messed around with a couple different configurations and found this one to be the easiest to manage. Unfortunately I don't have another monitor readily accessible to test a multi-monitor setup.

Default RE: RE: RE: A couple questions for a total n00b to multi-boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Tasty',index.php?page=Thread&postID=29896#post298 96
    Quote Originally Posted by 'thinus',index.php?page=Thread&postID=29891#post29 891
    I haven't even bothered learning Blizzard on my mages because it looks like it would be a heap of trouble trying to find a way around the targeting system.
    Actually, there is, just follow the following steps:

1. Bind Blizzard on your toon number 1 to key x and on your toon number 2 you bind it to key y.
    2. Make sure "Focus Follows mouse" is on in Keyclone.
    3. Click the x key, target and click.
    4. Quickly move your mouse to the 2nd screen/client, press the y key, target and click.
    5. /pat yourself on your back for being so darn epix.

Tried and it works, even with four mages (though that got a wee bit tricky and not quite so efficient :P)