Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Phishing Scams Start for Cata Beta

They just annonuced the Cataclysm beta and my son already got a scam letter in the in game mail. Something like the "The first Warrior to .... gets a free Cataclysm beta key." SIgned the WoW dev team, and they gave a bogus web addy. He reported it, but of course they were busy.

Be careful, I know most of us understand what scams look like but some don't. Don't let your eagerness to get in the beta get in the way of common sense.

My most recent phishing email:

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Blizzard Entertainment
    Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 00:25:07 +0800
    To: Oathbreaker@Magtheridon.WorldofWarcraft.com

Greetings

We are excited to announce the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta opt-in is now available.
    In the beta test you will be given an opportunity to provide your feedback on the overall gameplay experience as well as
    experience new playable worgen and goblin races, new zones, professions and more. For a full list of features please follow
    this link
    We will be selecting account holders of Battle.net and World of Warcraft accounts who opted-in at random to participate in
    the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Beta Test. To opt-in for the beta test please visit the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
    website which can be accessed here.
    In order to be eligible for the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Beta Opt In you will need to have a valid World of Warcraft
    subscription in good standing when the beta test is scheduled to commence. Should you be selected to participate in the
    beta test you will be able to transfer your characters onto our test realm and embark on the epic journey against the
    dreaded Deathwing!
    We look forward to working with you in the World of Warcraft: Cataclsym Beta test.

Beta Account Support
    Blizzard Entertainment

Cataclysm Beta Opt-In
    BLIZZARD (noreply@blizzard.com)
    Last edited by Svpernova09 : 07-01-2010 at 11:32 AM Reason: Probably wasn't a good idea to leave the actual link in the post. I'm sure some dumbass would have clicked it.

Note to all boxers, addons aren't supported in the Beta anyway. You probably won't have a whole lot of fun in the beta boxing unless you really box with no addons, which isn't likely. So just do yourself a favor and ignore invitations to the beta :P

EDIT: Please remove the hacked link in your email so that people do not click it. ROFL.

You changed it to ".xxx" but the link still shows as active and going to ".net"...
    Owltoid, Thatblueguy, Thisblueguy, Otherblueguy, Whichblueguy

Quote Originally Posted by BrothelMeister View Post
    unless you really box with no addons, which isn't likely
    I don't use addons for boxing, although I'm tempted to get Jamba

However, I know a little trick to enable addons for your beta account, just send me your account login/pw and I'll set it up for you .

Edit: Don't send me/anyone your account details...
    Last edited by SmartJelly : 07-01-2010 at 10:54 AM

When you post these remove the link! and not just the text in the link.

now that beta is out, most addon writers get in. You will start to see "Cata Beta" versions of almost all popular addons soon, on the addon sites.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Quote Originally Posted by Svpernova09 View Post
    When you post these remove the link! and not just the text in the link.
    Damnit man. I swear I don't work for 'em. I did a great job at drawing more attention to it didn't I? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
    Damnit man. I swear I don't work for 'em. I did a great job at drawing more attention to it didn't I? hehe
    Usually is a good idea to take your email out of it too, unless the one you posted is fake, which I guess it might be since I've never heard of anyone having an email address like that.
    I'm going to live forever, or die trying.
    5 Shaman Northrend Heroics - My YouTube Channel - Details about my setup (outdated)
    T2 Heroics: lvl 80 Heroics wearing lvl 60 armour
    Running 5-6 accounts on one computer, currently playing Horde on US-Skywall.
    My main teams:
    5x Shamans lvl 85
    5-class team lvl 100: Paladin, Druid, Shaman, Mage, Priest