Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default Remotely launch WoW via ISBoxer + Remote Desktop Connection / Protocol

I was at my parent's house this weekend fixing their router when my mom had me check out her gotomypc connections. Her remote connections were lagging really badly, and I decided to check and see if RDC was lagging just as much. I logged into my work PC and no unusual lag. So I checked my home PC where I had left my 5 wow clients running via ISBoxer open. I figured they'd just crash out when the connection was opened. When I got to the desktop, I saw all 5 wow's still running, all sitting at the character selection screen. I know WoW by itself won't initialize through a Remote Desktop Connection so I thought it was interesting that Innerspace was able to show the running WoW windows.

So I loaded up a test setup this morning. I ran my Paladin to the auction house in the Exodar, and then logged out. I connected to my home PC via Remote Desktop Connection, loaded ISBoxer and created a simple 1 region, 1 character / slot ISBoxer Character set. I launched it, and low and behold it launched with no problems. I logged in and bam. 3 FPS. it's ok, I expected the frame rate to be very very low. I was able to move around (very slowly) and even interact easily with NPCs. Click to move and IWT is a godsend for this. I was able to just right click to move around and then once I could target an NPC, i could just IWT to move to that location.

What is the point of all this? Well, movement SUCKS, it's slow. I was averaging around .50 - 4 FPS even with all my addons off and video settings to bare minimum. The main point of this is you can remotely manage your AH alt. You may need to move the AH toon to a lesser populated area for better performance, but I was able to buy / sell stuff on the AH rather easily so long as I was patient. You could also easily scan the auction house all day and keep a pretty accurate eye on your server's economy. I'll let someone else with a lot more patience come up with better ideas of other things you can do. i just stumbled across this and figured I'd share.

Edit: After I showed this to Lax, he mentioned this is a Vista / Win 7 ability to run 3d via RDC, you wouldn't be able to launch the games if you are RDCing into a Windows XP machine.

Loading Screen:

Idle in Dalaran:

Movement:

Auction House:
    Last edited by Svpernova09 : 05-03-2010 at 10:47 AM Reason: Fixed the last image

Quote Originally Posted by Svpernova09 View Post
    So I checked my home PC where I had left my 5 wow clients running via ISBoxer open.
    Way to help save the planet brah

What I once did was use VNC (ultravnc) to go to the PC and start up WOW in full screen mode.

When it is started take over the session with RDP (mstsc) which is much faster But still fps is very limited, but ok for AH

Note: I wanted to keep my job, so I left my authenticator at home = no access from work to wow
    Last edited by Bloodcloud : 05-03-2010 at 10:41 AM Reason: added note
    I don't suffer from Schizophrenia, I enjoy every moment of it !

Quote Originally Posted by Fenril View Post
    Way to help save the planet brah
    I about spit out my drink!

But anyway, thats really neat
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

Yeah when I was on vacation I VNC'd into my Mac back at home to run my AH scans. REALLY slow performance, but plenty for AH usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Svpernova09 View Post
    ... .... I connected to my home PC via Remote Desktop Connection, loaded ISBoxer and created a simple 1 region, 1 character / slot ISBoxer Character set. I launched it, and low and behold it launched with no problems.....
    Did you do anything else than this. I just get the same error message as always:
    Running World of Warcraft through a Remote Desktop connection is not supported. Exiting program.

Trying this on Windows 7. And if I start it up at home and then use it remotely it's fine. Just cannot launch it.